ProFootballFocus Top/Bottom at every position, as of Week 4

TheKillerNacho

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

HUGE caveat to PFF for those who don't follow it - the rating assumes the competition faced is equal.    Our DEN OL was top 10 after facing OAK/SEA - 2 weeks later...not so fast, Holmes.   It's why even now, I think there's huge variation in the #'s reflecting actual real-life status of players. 

Having said that, Josey Jewell is a legit rookie ILB for sure.   He's not athletically gifted, but his anticipation/read skills are so advanced, those average athletic skills play up so well.   I'd be shocked if he wasn't our starting ILB by November.  

The other DEN-specific comment - the QB ratings are deceiving, because some of those guys have only played less than 2 games.   What's notable - out of guys who've played all 4 games - only Josh Allen is worse than Case Keenum's 72.   UGH.  The eye test confirms it, too (always just as important as PFF #'s alone). 

I loved Jewell as a prospect. Never going to be a total stud, but I never had any doubt that he was going to be that type of player who was like an 8 year starter somewhere. Just really smart kid who knows how to play the position...just athletically limited is all. 

5 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I thought Carlos Hyde has been a stud this year, how is he ranked so low

He always is. He was with the niners throughout his entire career for the most part. There's something about his game that PFF can't stand. Not sure what it is. He's not great out of the backfield, and he's okay in pass pro, but maybe they just think that he should be gaining more yards than he is on his individual runs. 

@Humble_Beast @Forge I might have an explanation for you

"Kyle Shanahan’s system is built to make running backs look good. Running behind PFF’s sixth-ranked run-blocking, Hyde only managed a measly 3.9 yards per carry this past season. Sure, he’s flashed impressive games or stretches over the course of his career, but you better be a consistently dominant runner to make up for how bad Hyde is in the passing game. Last season he allowed more pressures (13) and dropped more balls (nine) than any other running back."

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@Humble_Beast @Forge I might have an explanation for you

"Kyle Shanahan’s system is built to make running backs look good. Running behind PFF’s sixth-ranked run-blocking, Hyde only managed a measly 3.9 yards per carry this past season. Sure, he’s flashed impressive games or stretches over the course of his career, but you better be a consistently dominant runner to make up for how bad Hyde is in the passing game. Last season he allowed more pressures (13) and dropped more balls (nine) than any other running back."

Good info. I knew about the dropped passes...didn't know that he was reflected that poorly in pass pro (given the state of our offensive line last year, kind of hard to know who's responsible for each and every disaster). 

6 hours ago, Dome said:

Don’t agree with the Saints in the bottom 5 ranking outside MAYBE P.J. Williams. But he played great last week and I think there’s probably CBs just as bad as him that haven’t had any good games at all this season.

Dont agree with Line being bottom 5 either. He had 2 drops last week and that could’ve hurt him for sure but outside of that he’s really solid for us.

P.J. deserved a negative score for how bad he played against the Falcons. Crawley hasn't played well all season, so he deserves to be ranked low as well.

I agree with you on Line though. I thought he played well so far this season.

8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

RUNNINGBACK

Top 6:
1. Austin Ekeler 91.2
2. Matt Breida 79.8
3. Marshawn Lynch 79.5
4. Jordan Howard 77.1
5. Royce Freeman 76.2
6a. Alvin Kamara 75.6
6b. Chris Ivory 75.6

The grades on these are something.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

The grades on these are something.

You have to crack open the all-22 and then you'll see that Ekeler >>> Kamara. Kamara is nice with the fancy plays and all, but we all know an RB's most important job is their ability in pass pro and Kamara hasn't been up to snuff there, not on Ekeler's level anyway.

3 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

You have to crack open the all-22 and then you'll see that Ekeler >>> Kamara. Kamara is nice with the fancy plays and all, but we all know an RB's most important job is their ability in pass pro and Kamara hasn't been up to snuff there, not on Ekeler's level anyway.

I was actually just pointing out how their top guy is rated 91.2, and then the next highest guy is rated 79.8. That 11.4 difference between 1 and 2 is like twice as large as any other gap in here, and is larger than even when they were giving Watt 99.1 grades and then giving other 3-4 DEs bad grades for not being pass rushers. 

Wasn't really commenting on the absurdity of who was listed where.

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Easy there, Dirk Koetter.

8 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

He is completely awful at everything he does and should not be on this team.

I really wish they would give Braunecker a chance. Not sure how good he would be as a blocker with his smaller frame but he looked good in pre-season. 

3 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

Calling Deone Bucannon the worst qualifying football player in the NFL is very wrong to me.

he did get absolutely destroyed in week 1 by Trent Williams and co. Didn't think he played particularly well this past week either. And he got benched weeks 2 & 3 because how bad he was W1. 

Archived