Chargers Release P/Holder Drew Kaser, bring in P/Holder Donnie Jones...to fix K?

Broncofan

OK you don't see this every day.   The K Sturgis misses 2 XP's and a FG - after missing a XP last week.   

So, clearly...the punter/holder must go.   O.o

Normally not worth a story by itself, but you gotta admit, this is something you don't see every day lol.

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Was Kaser even bad?

Kaser has a booming leg, but ball placement was an issue.   He also can outkick coverage..which killed them with Tyreke Hill week 1. 

Reality is that his play pales in comparison to K though.    I mean, if the Chargers lost to SF, it would have been in large part due to Sturgis.

Now, while Jones isn't a powerful P, he is pretty good at ball placement - and I think an underrated way to stifle punt returns is to use a lefty punter.  So I kinda see the thinking.

But really, the Bolts should be replacing the K more than the P.  Maybe we'll see a change there too later today.

I mean, guys like Aguayo, Carlsson and Z-Hernandez are there to upgrade LAC.  :D

(Seriously, you think they can find someone to be better than 3 missed XP's in last 2 games).

45 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Was Kaser even bad?

He was good last year, but he has been bad this year. The Chargers are near the bottom in terms of net punt yards. I think the coaching staff is desperate and trying to think outside of the box here. All their kickers have sucked the last couple of years and the only constant has been Kasar as the holder (just look how much better Lambo has been since leaving the Chargers). 

Kaser has a booming leg, but ball placement was an issue.   He also can outkick coverage..which killed them with Tyreke Hill week 1. 

Reality is that his play pales in comparison to K though.    I mean, if the Chargers lost to SF, it would have been in large part due to Sturgis.

Now, while Jones isn't a powerful P, he is pretty good at ball placement - and I think an underrated way to stifle punt returns is to use a lefty punter.  So I kinda see the thinking.

But really, the Bolts should be replacing the K more than the P.  Maybe we'll see a change there too later today.

I mean, guys like Aguayo, Carlsson and Z-Hernandez are there to upgrade LAC.  :D

(Seriously, you think they can find someone to be better than 3 missed XP's in last 2 games).

I think the Chargers thought process here is that Jones chemistry with Sturgis in Philly will make him a better kicker.  I am not so sure about that, but I am willing to try something new instead of getting a new kicker every other week. 

Kaser has been a decent punter... if you don't like his holding skills, why not take him out of those duties?! This seems like they're grasping at straws, while also not dealing with the obvious problem, of not having a decent kicker.

19 minutes ago, game3525 said:

He was good last year, but he has been bad this year. The Chargers are near the bottom in terms of net punt yards. I think the coaching staff is desperate and trying to think outside of the box here. All their kickers have sucked the last couple of years and the only constant has been Kasar as the holder (just look how much better Lambo has been since leaving the Chargers). 

I think the Chargers thought process here is that Jones chemistry with Sturgis in Philly will make him a better kicker.  I am not so sure about that, but I am willing to try something then new instead of getting a new kicker every other week. 

Was his holding skills visibly bad though?

He was fine as a punter. I kind of like this though. Lambo suddenly can’t miss and Sturgis was a pretty solid kicker and I mean we’ve had about 5 more guys take kicks and they all sucked the past two years it’s gotta be something else. Sturgis should still be on a short leash he’s gotta preform. 

Archived