Chargers Release P/Holder Drew Kaser, bring in P/Holder Donnie Jones...to fix K?

Broncofan

16 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Kaser good? No. Let’s not spin this into something ridiculous he was good sometimes but inconsistent af and I’m not gonna lose any sleep over him being released. 

Yeah, a lot of Chargers fans are acting like the team cut Ray Guy. He has a strong leg, yet is inconsistent. I have watched too many games over the last 2-3 years with him flat out whiffing. 

2 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Yeah, a lot of Chargers fans are acting like the team cut Ray Guy. He has a strong leg, yet is inconsistent. I have watched too many games over the last 2-3 years with him flat out whiffing. 

Wasn't saying he was good or anything, just decent enough.... 

If you go through the entire roster to remove players who were worse at their jobs, you'd be going pretty thin at the end.

Was he upgradable? Sure.

6 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Wasn't saying he was good or anything, just decent enough.... 

If you go through the entire roster to remove players who were worse at their jobs, you'd be going pretty thin at the end.

Was he upgradable? Sure.

Oh, I am not picking on you personally. I was referring mainly to Bolts fans on BFTB and twitter. 

And yes, you can't remove every underperforming player on the roster. But again, I get why the team is doing this. 

2 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

Jake Elliot last season with Donnie Jones holding: 83.9 FG%

Jake Elliot this season with some guy who doesn’t have the refined holding skills as Jones: 75.0 FG%

I’m sold. 

Toub has called the Chiefs punter(Dustin Colquitt) a "kicker whisperer" we always seem to have good kickers since we got Colquitt. Sets their mind at ease, and we don't blow a lot of kicks. Not noticeably anyways.

I think there is more to holding than some people think.  I don't think that is is going to make or break kickers, but if Kaser was super inconsistent and wasn't able to hold real well, then it's worth a try, after all of these kickers who have established themselves either before or after they were with us have had problems with us, you look at the constant.  

Kaser is a good punter but he's not great, and honestly Donnie Jones was just as good of a punter last year as Kaser was, and the Eagles just cut him because he had a big contract for a punter.  He also has some history holding for Sturgis which always helps.  But I did some research into this just looking at the punting stats from last year.  While Kaser had a better punt average by 3 yards, the net punt yards were the same.  Kaser was tied for the most punts returned in the league, and the fewest fair catches (6 all year, which is half of the number of the next lowest).  That tells me that he's definitely out kicking his coverage too often.  Donnie Jones however, had the very opposite of that.  He was bottom 5 in the league in kicks returned and return yardage.  So I think we actually upgraded (or at the very least stayed constant) at Punter in terms of consistency.  Sure that has something to do with our coverage units (which have been better this year for the most part), but a lot of it falls on Kaser, so I think the change is warranted.

Archived