Did something finally click for Dak?

DaBoys

Did the light come on?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Did the light come on?

• Yes, the Lions game was a turning point. He will be much more willing to take risks now that he sees the success he can have.
    • No, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. His career best game was also against the Lions. He'll be back to Dak'n his ducks into the turf this Sunday.
    • No, the light didn't come on. It's BEEN ON for him! Dak is the diamond in the rough. What had happened was the OLine decided to block, Zeke didn't suck, and the WRs finally caught most of the beautiful blessings that are Daks perfect spirals.
    • Yes, the light came on, it was apparent that something was different, but I'm not holding my breath that it's a permanent change.

Last week vs. the Lions we saw something we haven't seen in awhile. Dak was firing the ball down field and TRUSTING his receiver to make a play. See, the guys he was targeting weren't open. From the deep toss to Gallup to start the game, to the dropped bomb to Tavon on the other side of the field, to the final drive where he launched it to Zeke deep on the wheel route. None of these guys and others were really open. Some were able to make the play, and some were not, but Dak normally doesn't give them the chance. That is in part why they felt comfortable releasing Dez. He was a WR that relied on contested catches, and that wasn't really comfortable for Dak who has relied on low risk game management. 

But in the Lions game, we didn't see that. We saw Dak taking shots down field based on the matchup or coverage regardless of the receiver winning the route or not. He would have been over 300 had everyone caught it.

I couldn't help but think Dez would have been useful as the separation from Tavon and Gallup and Hurns weren't an improvement at all. I don't see how Dez could have been less open than these guys. And theres indication Dez could have been better against Slay even in tight coverage.

giphy.gif

But I digress... 

In conclusion, we haven't seen Dak throw to WRs unless they are wide open. It's been a stigma that even the team addressed when looking for "Dak friendly WRs," and cutting Dez without offering a pay cut. But with all the trouble Dak has been having for the past 11 plus games, and him breaking tendencies against the Lions and finding success with receivers who weren't really open, do you think we see him turn it loose more now? And see him take chances that he isn't known to take? 

I just think him finally trusting his WRs to win even if they weren't open, and the offense finding some more success, may have finally shown him it's okay to throw it and trust your guy.

Did we see a light come on for Dak? Or is this just part of the vicious up and down 8-8 JG cycle?

58 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I get you're going to miss some. But, misses like this get hard to simply sweep under the rug. Dak never took his eyes off option 1.  It's the 2nd video in link btw. 

Dak is throwing by the time Bease gets open. You can probably highlight 15 plays a game where a guy gets open as/after the ball is thrown. Thats not how QBing works though

If the WR continue to convert on their chances then Dak will only get more confident throwing the ball.   One okay that stands out for me is Hurns catching that slant with the defender in tight coverage those type of plays converting a third down helps the teams confidence moving the ball    Personally I thought most of his passes were to open receivers  but yes the impression has been he has only been making throws to “wide open” recievers and the Detroit game showed passes to just barely open throws.   One thing that did stand out to me live was his timing was better which resulted in better accuracy the ball was not being throw too late or too early.  Still have to rewatch the game.  Going to try late Thursday night after dodger playoff game.  But again all things might change when he faces a more active front 7 in the Texans

10 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

After 1 game, we're asking if the light came on for Dak... Wow.

I don't think what we saw from Dak is a permanent change.  

One can hope it is a permanent change.

I'll be honest, I look foward if we have to draft a QB in the first round this year of the draft. Some of these guy's skill sets and physical traits absolutely dwarf's Dak by comparison. So it's fun to think about. But I am a realist, and I realize the best thing for this team is if Dak would be a cornerstone player for the next 10 to 15 years so we don't have to spend a first on a QB and have that pick better spent elsewhere.

So I am expecting us to use a pick on a QB in the first round. But I am hoping Dak makes us regret even thinking such a thing. I want him to succeed.

25 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

One can hope it is a permanent change.

I'll be honest, I look foward if we have to draft a QB in the first round this year of the draft. Some of these guy's skill sets and physical traits absolutely dwarf's Dak by comparison. So it's fun to think about. But I am a realist, and I realize the best thing for this team is if Dak would be a cornerstone player for the next 10 to 15 years so we don't have to spend a first on a QB and have that pick better spent elsewhere.

So I am expecting us to use a pick on a QB in the first round. But I am hoping Dak makes us regret even thinking such a thing. I want him to succeed.

IMO, he needs to show he is a franchise type QB this year or just be garbage.

I dont want anything in the middle that would warrant the front office to pay him $25-$30 million a year.

Archived