The NFL is basically unwatchable as of now

NFLExpert49

It was already pretty close from 2011-2017, when the game officially hit the ugly collegesque shotgun spreadfest that plagues the league.

But this year, with the embarrassing new rules regarding tackling, we have hit a point where defense has become almost irrelevant. 

If they don't make some serious changes in the off-season, well...I can say this much: That might be all she wrote for me when it comes to watching the game.

I have no interest in watching Mike Leach era Texas Tech style football. 

5 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

It was already pretty close from 2011-2017, when the game officially hit the ugly collegesque shotgun spreadfest that plagues the league.

But this year, with the embarrassing new rules regarding tackling, we have hit a point where defense has become almost irrelevant. 

If they don't make some serious changes in the off-season, well...I can say this much: That might be all she wrote for me when it comes to watching the game.

I have no interest in watching Mike Leach era Texas Tech style football. 

You're not the only one that has about had it. I think most people age 45+ are getting to that point as well.   One could make a list of all the dislikes now as opposed to the way it was back at a certain time.  I doubt this league will fix whats wrong, it will get worse.

The league has major issues to fix, but let's face it, when scoring goes up...more casual fans tune in.     For every poster who says it's unwatchable, the NFL is bringing in more casual fans with higher scoring.  It is what it is.  

Last night's game rocked. KC has 2nd and 30 and still they converted for a game-winning drive near the end. Denver then had a perfect play called, WR was wide freaking open heading towards then end zone and should've been a TD but the throw was slightly too high. And then Denver after that still almost won it with a hook and lateral play that very much could've been a TD. 

Are we not entertained?

29 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The league has major issues to fix, but let's face it, when scoring goes up...more casual fans tune in.     For every poster who says it's unwatchable, the NFL is bringing in more casual fans with higher scoring.  It is what it is.  

Yup. As long as the numbers bump up, league isn't changing a thing. 

The NFL - or ANY professional sports league, for that matter - isn't made for die hard fans who have thousands of posts on a message board, or dissect games on a frame-by-frame basis. They're sustained by casual fans, who throw on their gear for five hours on Sunday and are entertained by high scoring affairs in between commercials for male enhancement and cheap beer.

You may not like it, but that's not going to change the trajectory of this ride.

It feels like the top is still the same.  There is only one less team now than there was last year allowing less than 20 PPG, and the Panthers/Packers/Eagles/Seahawks are sitting right at 20.  The middle is about the same too, especially when you consider teams like the Cardinals and Giants have to make-up for their porous offenses.

The issue is at the bottom.  There are 11 teams allowing more points per game than the worst team in the NFL in that regard last year, with 5 of those teams giving up more than 30.  That clearly isn't sustainable - the Vikings, Chargers, and potentially the Falcons and Saints should improve if/when they get healthier or face easier teams.  A lot of the teams at the bottom are victims of playing some elite offenses.

You can also look at offenses to see some outliers.  Bears and Ravens for example aren't going to maintain their pace on offense scoring wise.  Ditto with the Bucs once they start playing better defenses.

Also credit where credit is due.  People can blame the rules, but the Rams and Chiefs simply have a ridiculous amount of offensive talent (great back + at min. three dangerous receiving threats + good OLs + QBs with a ton of upside - you don't see teams with that whole combination often).  Combine that with offensive masterminds at head coach and they would probably be tearing it up even if we went 5 years in the past.  Still, I'd expect a lot of these numbers to level off soon.

Archived