The MLS Thread, Part V

Heimdallr

• 2 weeks later...

Very underwhelmed by this signing to be honest. I know they were going to make a major signing with the new stadium opening but I'm just super indifferent about it and don't think it will end up working out particularly well. 

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Terrible signing.

I thought the MLS had tried to move away from these types of moves?

At least Zlatan has an incredible persona and ego. 

Absolutely agree. These types of signings still exist but this is clearly a desperate attempt to make a splash before the new stadium opens. It's a shame though because he'll be an absolute failure and is just a really poor signing from DC United.

I cant wait to see Rooney try and play in the sweltering DC heat. 

20 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Absolutely agree. These types of signings still exist but this is clearly a desperate attempt to make a splash before the new stadium opens. It's a shame though because he'll be an absolute failure and is just a really poor signing from DC United.

I cant wait to see Rooney try and play in the sweltering DC heat. 

Very bizarre move from Rooney too.

All due respect to people from DC but it's hardly LA, Orlando or New York.

2 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

In terms of what? Orlando isnt anything special, Miami maybe. 

Well a lot of European based players go to the MLS not just for the money but for the lifestyle.

LA - David Beckham, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, João Moutinho, Robbie Keane, Giovanni Dos Santos, Juan Pablo Angel, Carlos Vela

New York - Juninho, David Villa, Frank Lampard, Tim Cahill, Thierry Henry, Shaun Wright Phillips, Youri Djorkaeff, Andrea Pirlo

Orlando - Kaka

DC are one of the weaker sides in the MLS currently, have the lowest average attendance in the MLS and I don't think are able to offer the same lifestyle as LA or NY. Just seems an odd move on Rooney's part. Probably had no other parties interested and didn't fancy trying to learn Cantonese ?

18 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Well a lot of European based players go to the MLS not just for the money but for the lifestyle.

LA - David Beckham, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, João Moutinho, Robbie Keane, Giovanni Dos Santos, Juan Pablo Angel, Carlos Vela

New York - Juninho, David Villa, Frank Lampard, Tim Cahill, Thierry Henry, Shaun Wright Phillips, Youri Djorkaeff, Andrea Pirlo

Orlando - Kaka

DC are one of the weaker sides in the MLS currently, have the lowest average attendance in the MLS and I don't think are able to offer the same lifestyle as LA or NY. Just seems an odd move on Rooney's part. Probably had no other parties interested and didn't fancy trying to learn Cantonese ?

Oh yeah, I totally get that LA and NYC are definitely the most desirable location for the European stars. I was just confused about the addition of Orlando because DC is a much larger city than Orlando. 

I think DC is a pretty decent location compared to a lot of the other sides in the MLS like Colorado, Houston, Dallas, Columbus, Salt Lake, etc. 

The team is definitely terrible though and I dont think Rooney is going be the guy to turn that around. 

I think a lot of the attendance issues is due to the stadium which is going to be replaced this summer. The current stadium is ancient, doesnt offer good views and not really close to anything which the new stadium will be much improved. 

I think it's a bad move for both parties though just because I dont think it will work out well in the end. 

15 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I think DC is a pretty decent location compared to a lot of the other sides in the MLS like Colorado, Houston, Dallas, Columbus, Salt Lake, etc. 

I have to admit I know very little about DC, you just never hear about it as a place to go to apart from to see the White House a few museums and a few statues.

All of that culture would be lost on Wayne too, he'd be much happier in the "celeb" climate of LA.

8 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I have to admit I know very little about DC, you just never hear about it as a place to go to apart from to see the White House a few museums and a few statues.

All of that culture would be lost on Wayne too, he'd be much happier in the "celeb" climate of LA.

I mean, you definitely aren't wrong. I work in the city and hate DC but it's got nice restaurants, some extremely wealthy areas and a lot more stuff to do than the other locations I listed. Definitely cant compete with the likes of NYC or LA for that lifestyle but I dont think anywhere else really can. It's got a pretty good soccer community as well which is always a plus. 

Regardless, I would have loved to have Fernando Torres over Wayne any day.