The MLS Thread, Part V

Heimdallr

On 5/31/2018 at 1:23 PM, LeeEvans said:

Is he? I know Iniesta is, the last I had heard was he was heavily linked with Montreal I believe. 

I thought that the club involved in the Iniesta deal came out and said it wasn't true? 

But I'd love to see Fernando in Japan. I go to Japan about once a year and I for sure would have to catch one of his game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.espn.com/soccer/minnesota-united-fc/story/3550474/minnesota-uniteds-collin-martin-comes-out-as-gay

Minnesota United midfielder Collin Martin announced on Friday that he is gay.

Martin, 23, is the only openly gay male athlete active in a major professional American sports league, after the retirement of LA Galaxy winger Robbie Rogers last November.

Martin wrote in a statement on Twitter that many of his teammates have long known about his sexuality.

"Tonight my team, Minnesota United, is having their Pride night. It's an important night for me -- I'll be announcing for the first time publicly that I am an openly gay player in Major League Soccer.

That's pretty cool to see. It takes a lot of guts to do that even in a place where its, mostly, accepted. I'm sure he'll still get comments from opponents but he shouldn't have to worry about any comments from fans. 

Hopefully this encourages more players to do the same.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

That's pretty cool to see. It takes a lot of guts to do that even in a place where its, mostly, accepted. I'm sure he'll still get comments from opponents but he shouldn't have to worry about any comments from fans. 

Hopefully this encourages more players to do the same.

Pretty sad to me that he is the only openly gay athlete currently active in North America in any of the major sports.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Pretty sad to me that he is the only openly gay athlete currently active in North America in any of the major sports.

For sure. I think it will still be quite some time before its accepted in sports like the NFL unfortunately. It's likely going to be a slow process instead of all at once.

On 30/06/2018 at 3:06 PM, LeeEvans said:

For sure. I think it will still be quite some time before its accepted in sports like the NFL unfortunately. It's likely going to be a slow process instead of all at once.

Are there any NFL players past or present?

4 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Just Michael Sam who got drafted a couple years ago, I dont think he even played though. NFL is going to be the toughest one to break, I'm sure that locker room environment is absolutely brutal if you aren't a Type A and overly "manly" guy more than any other major sport in the US.

4 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Just Michael Sam who got drafted a couple years ago, I dont think he even played though. NFL is going to be the toughest one to break, I'm sure that locker room environment is absolutely brutal if you aren't a Type A and overly "manly" guy more than any other major sport in the US.

He's retired now, quite sad.

7 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Yes, there have been several.  It really isn't as big of a deal inside locker rooms as portrayed in the media, similar to this MLS player whose teammates have always known.

• 2 weeks later...