The MLS Thread, Part V

Heimdallr

• 2 weeks later...

The Columbus Crew are moving to Austin unless the city builds a new stadium for them.

Apparently Precourt had an out clause specifically for Austin written into his original purchasing agreement, so it looks like this was very much the plan from the start. Rejected an offer from local business owners to buy the team and keep it in Columbus as well.

Whole situation is gross. Columbus is one of the founding members of MLS and Columbus Crew Stadium is one of the only places in America with real honest to god soccer history. And Garber and MLS are giving their blessing to pack up and leave all in search of a bigger taxpayer funded payout from cool hip snazzy Austin. 

Love American soccer and I enjoy MLS for the most part for what it is but I truly loathe the people running the show there. Seems like their explicit goal is to turn MLS into another NFL, soulless and corporate and unconcerned with the quality of the sport, doing the absolute minimum investment-wise in order to secure the biggest possible payout. 

The system doesn't NEED to be this way but ultimately it always will be because it's folks like Kroenke, Kraft, and Precourt running the show, completely unconcerned with the interests of the supporters and not really even interested in the sport to begin with, it's just another 'investment vehicle' at the end of the day. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

Adrian Heath absolutely needs to go. He has completely lost the locker room and has been publicly throwing players under the bus after games.

Our RB (Jerome Thiesson) had an absolute beauty of a shot to tie the game, and has been one of our few consistently good players throughout the season, yet Heath said he is "fed up" with him and didn't let him talk to reporters after the game. He is an absolute fan favorite. By far the most engaging and marketable player on the roster. 

I can forgive terrible tactical decisions (which he has many of) and I can even understand being frustrated with the team as a whole, but publicly calling out your best players for no reason (when there are guys like Kevin Molino literally walking around the pitch for 90 minutes) is just too much. He is a troll and needs to be fired.

Also, here is the goal since it was fantastic:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...