Preseason Week 2: Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Jacksonville Jaguars

Jags

3 hours ago, iPwn said:

I know that prior to this year I’ve been a sunshine pumper even when it didn’t make sense. And I also know I’ve probably been at times a little too irrationally down on some of the things they’ve done this year. But I legitimately don’t know how you can hope for the team to not be god awful unless we make a QB change at this point.

The problem is, even outside of QB...this team doesn't seem good.  There's talent there, but none of it ever seems to come together to amount to anything.  Watching the ones on both sides of the ball today was a complete rerun of last year's garbage team.

The O-Line doesn't seem to have a clue what they're doing, assignments make no sense, they're not opening any holes anywhere, free runners and failed pickups by the backs.  It's very bad.

The defense got no pressure.  I get that the CBs are overmatched depth guys due to injury, but good D-Line play can help cover some of that up.  Got none of that.

LBers were a mess.  Jack did jack all, looked tentative and afraid to hit somebody, bad reads, bad angles, a lot of standing around watching after the fact.  Telvin still looks like the only high end LBer on the team, and Poz manages to flash when he's running downhill filling holes but that's about it.  Gashed for some runs where tackles should have been made.  It's the same mess as last year, OTTO wasn't even the problem.

Secondary looked a bit better on the back end with Gipson/Church looking like they might actually work out decently together.  Hard to really say much about depth CBs going up against starters.

But as a whole, this isn't a dominant team being held back by a bad QB.  This didn't look like a "plug Alex Smith in and go to playoffs" type team.  There's still no running game, there's still no intimidating defense.  QB is a disaster right now, but it's also just a team that doesn't seem to come together to be greater than the sum of its parts in any way either, even outside of Bortles bortling.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The problem is, even outside of QB...this team doesn't seem good.  There's talent there, but none of it ever seems to come together to amount to anything.  Watching the ones on both sides of the ball today was a complete rerun of last year's garbage team.

The O-Line doesn't seem to have a clue what they're doing, assignments make no sense, they're not opening any holes anywhere, free runners and failed pickups by the backs.  It's very bad.

The defense got no pressure.  I get that the CBs are overmatched depth guys due to injury, but good D-Line play can help cover some of that up.  Got none of that.

LBers were a mess.  Jack did jack all, looked tentative and afraid to hit somebody, bad reads, bad angles, a lot of standing around watching after the fact.  Telvin still looks like the only high end LBer on the team, and Poz manages to flash when he's running downhill filling holes but that's about it.  Gashed for some runs where tackles should have been made.  It's the same mess as last year, OTTO wasn't even the problem.

Secondary looked a bit better on the back end with Gipson/Church looking like they might actually work out decently together.  Hard to really say much about depth CBs going up against starters.

But as a whole, this isn't a dominant team being held back by a bad QB.  This didn't look like a "plug Alex Smith in and go to playoffs" type team.  There's still no running game, there's still no intimidating defense.  QB is a disaster right now, but it's also just a team that doesn't seem to come together to be greater than the sum of its parts in any way either, even outside of Bortles bortling.

2nd preseason game dude. 

Not worried about all that yet. Calais Campbell is a guy who has been an all pro for ARZ and he did legit nothing yesterday. Same with Malik who proved last year to be a dominant 3T after doing it in Denver. Defense im not worried about. 

OL is and always was viewed as a work in progress. They opened up some holes and pass blocked well last week. TB is littered with talent on defense and had arguably the best defense in the league in the 2nd half last year. 

11 hours ago, iPwn said:

This was closer to being a pick 6 to a corner covering the flat than to his intended target downfield. 

Throws like this are beyond frustrating. Why is this happening to a 4th year pro? Seriously? People complained about Tebow's throwing and mechanics, yet we march out here to have this as are number 1 passer? Come on!

11 hours ago, iPwn said:

When looking at apartments, I kept asking about the dish policy because I wanted to make sure I could order Sunday Ticket to stream. I’m completely over it now. Want nothing to do with this team, and all it took was one damn preseason game of Bortles. What a freaking nightmare.

Please save your money. I have game pass and I think I've made a huge mistake. Wasted $$$

32 minutes ago, Jags said:

Please save your money. I have game pass and I think I've made a huge mistake. Wasted $$$

No way I'm not getting Sunday Ticket even with the product on the field. Sundays are for football. Luckily for students its only $100.

I know it's preseason, but you guys have to be excited about Westbrook. He looks so smooth out there. He's embarrassing these 3rd/4th string DB's with his route running. And it looks like he's doing it not only from the outside but working from the slot some too. Guy looks like he could be a monster. 

6 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I know it's preseason, but you guys have to be excited about Westbrook. He looks so smooth out there. He's embarrassing these 3rd/4th string DB's with his route running. And it looks like he's doing it not only from the outside but working from the slot some too. Guy looks like he could be a monster. 

Felt this way all along. He always gets great seperation. Sounds like hes been showimg up in camp yoo after missing some of the offseason activities. Loved his on field talent at Oklahoma. Surprised he's behind Cole/Wynn  (who I like, but its Dede). 

Feel like the staff is just making him earn a job though. I imagine when things start getting serious Dede gets his reps.

12 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Felt this way all along. He always gets great seperation. Sounds like hes been showimg up in camp yoo after missing some of the offseason activities. Loved his on field talent at Oklahoma. Surprised he's behind Cole/Wynn  (who I like, but its Dede). 

Feel like the staff is just making him earn a job though. I imagine when things start getting serious Dede gets his reps.

I imagine it'll be:

1 - AR15

2 - Hurns

3 - Dede

4 - Cole

5 - Wynn

6 - Benn

With Lee going to 2 or 3 and Wynn being cut when Lee returns.

That is, of course, if we still keep 6 active while waiting for Lee to return.

21 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I imagine it'll be:

1 - AR15

2 - Hurns

3 - Dede

4 - Cole

5 - Wynn

6 - Benn

With Lee going to 2 or 3 and Wynn being cut when Lee returns.

That is, of course, if we still keep 6 active while waiting for Lee to return.

Yup, agreed.

Once Lee returns who you think gets dropped? Feel like it'll be Wynn with Benn being an ace on ST and Cole showing out in a big way.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Based on how the team looked last night, you’re right. But competent QB play can change a lot. Suddenly the box isn’t stacked with 9 defenders,  the receivers are gotten the ball faster so the OL doesn’t have to hold up as long. Someone like Kaep opens the run game up. He evaded some of the pressure brought on him. And so on.

As for the defense, you kinda hope that Malik and Campbell figure it out and provide pressure. The top 3 team CBs coming back maybe gives the front 4 a little more time to be disruptive. The disruption makes the back 4’s job easier. I don’t have an answer for the LBs.

Would the team make the playoffs? I don’t know. But there’s virtually no hope to be had for anything other than another top 5 pick with how Blake looked last night if they stick with him.

22 hours ago, Jags said:

Throws like this are beyond frustrating. Why is this happening to a 4th year pro? Seriously? People complained about Tebow's throwing and mechanics, yet we march out here to have this as are number 1 passer? Come on!

Seriously, A-Rob was open, easily could have hit him in stride or back shoulder but not back ankle

Archived