What’s the worst you’ve ever seen a single player hold back a team?

patriotsheatyan

I would go with the obvious whipping boy Blake Bortles but he clearly did NOT hold back the Jags last season (unless you consider the coaching staff's reticence to put the game in his hands in the second half of the AFCCG Blake's fault).  His playoff stats outside the Buffalo game were actually really good and he did plenty enough in the regular season to get the Jags into a good position in the playoffs.  Perhaps this year he will be a major limiting factor (not so far anyway) but I think he has gotten a pretty bad rap for being a "bum" and being the only reason the Jags are being held back.  Sure, a better QB would obviously help them but that could be said about any team in the NFL.  

For me, the worst example I've seen recently of a team being legit held back by their QB was the Cleveland Browns last year.  Kizer was almost miraculous in his seeming ability to personally ****** defeat outta the jaws of victory in a LOT of their games last year, always throwing that game-killing INT or fumbling at the exact worst possible moment.  The Browns were a 6 or 7 win team last year and managed precisely ZERO wins almost entirely because of DeShon Kizer.

Homer shout-out: Jake Delhomme in 2009

Panthers had the 9th ranked defense.  IIRC, there was a statistic done that season that eliminated all non-defense allowed touchdowns which would have had the Panthers in the top five.  Every level of the defense was top-notch with Peppers, Beason, Gamble, Harris, and TD before injury.  We were top five in every major statistic in pass defense.  

Offensively, the offensive line was still very good if not great.  We had 2 1,100 yard rushers at over 5 YPC.  Steve Smith still in his prime with Muhammad making plays as well. 

Love Delhomme for what he did for us early in his career but he single-handedly stopped that team from being a #2 or #3 seed (Saints weren’t being surpassed).  The fact he threw 18 INTs in 11 games and we still somehow finished 8-8 goes to show how good that team was.  We demolished the #2 Vikings later that year. 

He was 100% responsible (or as close as you can get in football) for losses against the Bills, Jets, Eagles, Cowboys, and Dolphins games. Against Philly he went 7/17, 73 yards, 4 INTs, and 1 fumble.  Somehow he wasn’t benched after that game. He threw 9 INTs with 2 fumbles in 2 games if you go back to the previous playoff game. 

The ‘10 team lost a lot of guys to either FA or injury (Peppers and Beason for example) so while Clausen was probably the most helpless QB I’ve ever watched, that team wasn’t gonna be that good anyone.  It’s the ‘09 team that was robbed.  They were better than the 2008 team that went 12-4.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Andy Dalton.

Not that he's terrible by any means, but a true franchise QB would've made at least 1 Superbowl with some of these Bengals teams. Cincy is stuck between a rock and a hard place with him.

As for truly bad?

Max Hall and John Skelton with Arizona. 

Marvin Lewis has held that team back more than Andy Dalton.

I’m going with my favorite pos....... JaMarcus Russell. He is the only QB I’ve ever seen that could throw fumbles in a clean pocket. His awareness, his leadership, his command, his football IQ. This guy didn’t even know how to go through his reads and scan the field. He is like Ryan Leaf just with more money.

10 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

I’m going with my favorite pos....... JaMarcus Russell. He is the only QB I’ve ever seen that could throw fumbles in a clean pocket. His awareness, his leadership, his command, his football IQ. This guy didn’t even know how to go through his reads and scan the field. He is like Ryan Leaf just with more money.

He sucked but I wouldn’t say he held us back, we were pretty bad with or without him.

1 hour ago, megatechpc said:

I guess you could also conceivably go with a kicker here, say, Blair Walsh a few years ago.  You can have a really good team and still be completely undone by a bad kicker.

But then how good is your team really if you are letting him decide games for you?

Archived