What’s the worst you’ve ever seen a single player hold back a team?

patriotsheatyan

32 minutes ago, daineraider said:

He sucked but I wouldn’t say he held us back, we were pretty bad with or without him.

But my god..... literally throwing fumbles. I hated the pick at the time and all the reports from LSU.

we were bad he helped make us legendary bad

Kyle Williams in the 2011 NFC Championship game. His two ST fumbles set the Giants up for 10 of their total 20 points scored, including the game-winning FG in OT. 

Of course it didn't help that the offense converted just 1/13 third downs or that it took 54 minutes before Alex Smith completed his first pass to a WR, or that the refs robbed Bowman of a key forced fumble. But with any competent returner the 49ers win that game. That defense, despite not being able to cover Victor Cruz, was nasty. 

26 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Jay Fiedler on those early 2000s Dolphins teams. Stacked defensively. Then they got Ricky Williams. Didn't matter though. They weren't going anywhere with Fiedler as the trigger man.

Little jay even gave the Raiders a run for the money in those days.

4 hours ago, game3525 said:

Yup. Clausen almost ruined Steve Smith that year (544 yards in 14 games). Carolina drafts Cam and Smitty puts up 1300 yards. 

I was at the Panthers/Niners game in NC that year. Clausen was awful, he got hurt and Matt Moore came in for the win. I think that might have been the Panthers only win that season. 

3 hours ago, Gannon12 said:

kwame harris drafted to hold it down for the 49ers and he was scared and couldn’t block a fart. He let everyone in

Kwame Harris might be the best answer as he not only held his own team back, he also made sure to hold the other team's players on EVERY. F-IN. SNAP. 

5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Jay Fiedler on those early 2000s Dolphins teams. Stacked defensively. Then they got Ricky Williams. Didn't matter though. They weren't going anywhere with Fiedler as the trigger man.

Kinda, yes. They had very good records during the Fiedler Era, though. He threw too many INT's for run-based team.

It's funny because Marino's last game as a Dolphin was a blowout playoff loss to JAX. Fiedler was the backup QB that game for JAX who got a significant amount of PT because it ws so lopsided. He'd then start for MIA the next season.

20 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

Kinda, yes. They had very good records during the Fiedler Era, though. He threw too many INT's for run-based team.

It's funny because Marino's last game as a Dolphin was a blowout playoff loss to JAX. Fiedler was the backup QB that game for JAX who got a significant amount of PT because it ws so lopsided. He'd then start for MIA the next season.

Even if the Dolphins had an average starter at the time like Jon Kitna or Brad Johnson I think Miami would have been a force. The Dolphins had winning records at the time, and I think that was a testament to how good the team was in spite of Fiedler being the starter. Ravens had a similar problem at the time.

5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Sam Madison, Brock Marion, and Patrick Surtain in the backfield with Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor in the front 7? That defense was scary. Had all-pro players at every level. Thankfully they did absolutely nothing with all that talent.

9 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Even if the Dolphins had an average starter at the time like Jon Kitna or Brad Johnson I think Miami would have been a force. The Dolphins had winning records at the time, and I think that was a testament to how good the team was in spite of Fiedler being the starter. Ravens had a similar problem at the time.

Probably. But they even won a playoff game with Fielder vs Manning's Colts. (which I attended)

That was the last time they won a playoff game. They ran into those buzzsaw Ravens who beat the Giants in the SB.

Archived