2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

6 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I just don’t understand the hype. Multiple teams begging a hitter who can’t play the field and chokes in big games 300M? Do people really think this is going to turn out well? How often do these mega deals work out for the team?

Ten year deals haven’t ever worked yet and won’t. Signing people for that long is stupid. Hopefully the Dodgers give him a high aav but 6 years max with an opt out around when he’s 30.

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

giphy.gif

For the players they’re great. For the team not so much. Wasn’t he encouraged to retire before his contract ran its course? And before you go there I’m on the fans side not the players or the teams. When a team puts a lesser product on the field because they have to pay $28 million a year to Albert Pujols and his walker that is less they spend on players to put a good product on the field. Pujols a 10 year deal that sucks now. ARod was convinced to retire early. The Mets will be paying Bonilla for years after he’s collecting social security. Does anybody think Stanton will play out his 13 year contract? I get it I’m all for the players getting what they can. But let’s not act like these 10 year deals ever work out for all parties involved.

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

For the players they’re great. For the team not so much. Wasn’t he encouraged to retire before his contract ran its course? And before you go there I’m on the fans side not the players or the teams. When a team puts a lesser product on the field because they have to pay $28 million a year to Albert Pujols and his walker that is less they spend on players to put a good product on the field. Pujols a 10 year deal that sucks now. ARod was convinced to retire early. The Mets will be paying Bonilla for years after he’s collecting social security. Does anybody think Stanton will play out his 13 year contract? I get it I’m all for the players getting what they can. But let’s not act like these 10 year deals ever work out for all parties involved.

A-Rod's first 10 year deal worked out so well he got a second 10 year deal, and put up 50 WAR (or a HoF career) during the second 10 year deal. Saying they never work is flat wrong.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

A-Rod's first 10 year deal worked out so well he got a second 10 year deal, and put up 50 WAR (or a HoF career) during the second 10 year deal. Saying they never work is flat wrong.

Didn't Jeter get a ten year deal in like 2000 or 2001?

Vottos deal hasn't been an issue thus far either.

56 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Ten year deals haven’t ever worked yet and won’t. Signing people for that long is stupid. Hopefully the Dodgers give him a high aav but 6 years max with an opt out around when he’s 30.

Yea i wasn’t excited about the Dodgers doing 10 years at 300+ for him but if its 5-6 years for 33-35 a year I’m more on board

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

Didn't Jeter get a ten year deal in like 2000 or 2001?

Vottos deal hasn't been an issue thus far either.

im not sure if 10 year contracts are the problem if it didnt include paying huge dollars to guys when they are 35+. Theres really no smart reason to do it, despite the delusional thought of some (or one) that there was a handshake agreement that owners would overpay older players. so while a 10 year deal could work it, its rare, hard to predict and teams should be looking to avoid them. Which shockingly they are, who knew billionaires werent stupid? vottos contract is going to get really ugly if he continues his decline, posey is no where near the player he was 5 years ago, cabrera, cano, pujols, etc, etc. Why not be smart, offer more dollars on average on shorter deals and make players adjust to the market. Im not smart (billionaires are) and i realized thats better business, and i didnt need to huddle up with 5 guys to tell me that for what its worth. 

oh, unless im really having problems with dates which is entirely possible, arod signed his 2nd 10 year deal  after 07. he managed to put up 21 war after,  can someone point me to where @ramssuperbowl99 cam up with 50 war?

Arod's extension was a mistake from a $$$=production stand point. His career got derailed at the end by the steroids mess and the team basically paid him to stay away till his contract ran out. Now - this being the NYY where every cost is easily absorbed into the gigantic gross revenues stream.....so what, who cares right? Well, Arod was slowing down before hit the steroids wall. Had he been forced (or able) to actually play out his last years, I suspect his numbers would have come down considerably.

Archived