2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

Tom Seaver has been diagnosed with dementia and is retiring from public life.

Joel Sherman: 

Such sad news, especially as Mets are celebrating 50th anniversary of ‘69 champs. Even few years back, last time I talked to Tom by phone, his family prepped me and asked for kindness as I was asking him to recall great clashes v. Bob Gibson.

Never really a point to getting excited about spring training results, but I will say that Beede looks great for the Giants do far this spring. Different mechanics, changed his pitches up. Maybe he's not a lost cause after all

13 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Less than 2 weeks until Oakland and Seattle open the season overseas. Can't wait.

Ask me the season is way too long. No way (IMO) they should be either starting or ending baseball seasons in frigid temperatures and/or snow flurries.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Ask me the season is way too long. No way (IMO) they should be either starting or ending baseball seasons in frigid temperatures and/or snow flurries.

They should cut to a 144 game season.

21 minutes ago, GmenSeattle said:

Really starting to think that Kimbrel ends up with the Braves for like... 2/$30mil

I wouldn't want him for anything less than a 3 year deal.  I would rather not waste a draft pick to get him on a 1 or 2 year deal honestly.  I want Kimbrel on the braves and 15 a year is perfectly fine but not for only a 1 or  2 yr thing.  I have heard the Phillies are looking into him on a 1 year contract with some pretty good money attached to it.  Would suck losing another one to the phillies but their throwing money at everything right now.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:48 AM, FalconFan13 said:

I wouldn't want him for anything less than a 3 year deal.  I would rather not waste a draft pick to get him on a 1 or 2 year deal honestly.  I want Kimbrel on the braves and 15 a year is perfectly fine but not for only a 1 or  2 yr thing.  I have heard the Phillies are looking into him on a 1 year contract with some pretty good money attached to it.  Would suck losing another one to the phillies but their throwing money at everything right now.

Help me out here as I've never understood the whole compensation cost thing when it comes to baseball and draft picks. Why would signing him cost you a draft pick and how do they determine which one? Does someone else get that pick or a compensatory pick? Like do the Nats get a great pick for losing Harper?

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Help me out here as I've never understood the whole compensation cost thing when it comes to baseball and draft picks. Why would signing him cost you a draft pick and how do they determine which one? Does someone else get that pick or a compensatory pick? Like do the Nats get a great pick for losing Harper?

I'll use kimbrels as a way to try and explain it and use a articles info that sorta tells about it.

"Teams have the option of extending a qualifying offer to their impending free agents within five days of the end of the World Series, as long as that player spent the entire season with the organization. The offer is a one-year deal worth an average of the league’s 125 highest paid players, which amounts to $17.9 million this year.

The benefit of extending the qualifying offer is that if Kimbrel does sign elsewhere, the Red Sox will receive a compensation draft pick. Since Boston was over the luxury tax this season, they will receive a pick after the fourth round instead of after the Competitive Balance round that follows the first round. This reduced compensation, in addition to having their first-round pick moved back 10 spots, is a reminder of why teams are cautious about exceeding the luxury tax. It’s not just about the money, folks. "

I actually thought it was a 1st or 2nd round pick we would be giving back but i see it's only a 4th since they are over the Lux. Tax   Im actually ok with a 4th round pick on a 2 year deal instead.   Still wouldn't go 1 year as i don't think we are ready to win the world series this year but might be next year with a bit more maturing and a few more free agents.  So a 2year deal for a 4th is acceptable.  Still would much rather do a 3 year to 5 year deal overall though if we give up any pick.

1 hour ago, FalconFan13 said:

I'll use kimbrels as a way to try and explain it and use a articles info that sorta tells about it.

"Teams have the option of extending a qualifying offer to their impending free agents within five days of the end of the World Series, as long as that player spent the entire season with the organization. The offer is a one-year deal worth an average of the league’s 125 highest paid players, which amounts to $17.9 million this year.

The benefit of extending the qualifying offer is that if Kimbrel does sign elsewhere, the Red Sox will receive a compensation draft pick. Since Boston was over the luxury tax this season, they will receive a pick after the fourth round instead of after the Competitive Balance round that follows the first round. This reduced compensation, in addition to having their first-round pick moved back 10 spots, is a reminder of why teams are cautious about exceeding the luxury tax. It’s not just about the money, folks. "

I actually thought it was a 1st or 2nd round pick we would be giving back but i see it's only a 4th since they are over the Lux. Tax   Im actually ok with a 4th round pick on a 2 year deal instead.   Still wouldn't go 1 year as i don't think we are ready to win the world series this year but might be next year with a bit more maturing and a few more free agents.  So a 2year deal for a 4th is acceptable.  Still would much rather do a 3 year to 5 year deal overall though if we give up any pick.

Man who comes up with this craziness? I like it as a way to sort of help balance things out but I cant imagine it alters what the high dollar teams do too much

Archived