2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

The Braves have made a crap ton of money for moving to Sun Trust and building The Battery. Hell, they are building more crap there(business offices, retail space, etc). McGuirk has been saying that the Braves would move to at least a mid-tier payroll team since 2014. Its the same phrases over and over every year. According to Cots, we started last season with a payroll at 118 million and finished with 136. Right now we are at 114 million, and AA and McGuirk said that the team can spend 10-20 million past what we spent last season. That would leave about 30 million in the budget. Take out 10-15 for in season upgrades, and it looks like we still have 10-15 more to spend. Where is that money? Who knows. I honestly think they are scared to give out long term contracts. I know we were offering just as much for Brantley as the Astros did, but he went to Houston because of the potential to DH, but other than that, we really havent been linked to anyone.

Honestly, Im a little pissed, but I also understand where we are in terms of spending on free agents. There arent many spots we could upgrade because of our young players, and probably being ahead of schedule.

Another thing to look at is that because of Coppy, we are very thin on prospects at the back end of the organization. It could be bad in 2-3 years, so we were probably out on any players with a qualifying offer, because we cant give up that 2nd round pick this year. We need the prospects.

The one thing that makes me scratch my head is why are we keeping all these prospects? We cant keep all these pitchers. Most arent going to work out. Hell, we might even be stunting growth by not being able to move up some guys. Then there is the Kolby Allard factor. The guys that arent going to be good are probably going to be found out sooner or later, so we need to get something for them while they have value, otherwise we will have a bunch of Kolby Allards that no one wants.

I dont know where i was going with all of this other than since the timetable for success is probably a year ahead of schedule, I wont totally give up on the front office until this time next year. If moves arent made to get us to World Series contenders, then Ill bring out the pitchfork myself.

Whats the link up there then he posted with us at 84 million or so in spending being int he bottom 5.  Thats the reason i was complaining so much is because 85 million or so would be just ridiculously low compared to what we were bringing in.  But even at 114 million as you said we have a good 15 to 20 million to play with they promised we had and we haven't done pretty much anything with it. I'll keep my mouth shut if we can somehow get kimbrel with whats left over as he would then make our bullpen deadly with the arms we already have in it and keep our starting pitchers fresher and not having to worry about going longer.   We all know Snit loves to pull guys early around the 6th inning so having a guy like kimbrel handling the 9th allows me to feel more comfortable with guys like minter, Viz, Venters, and the others handling only 2 innings.   But still i think we failed on bringing Cakes back and using up some of that money we had left over if you take that 5 mil off and use the other 15 to 20 or so theirs no way we couldn't have offered someone a nice contract to upgrade RF.    But as you said we are a year ahead of schedule and tons of pitching prospects that need to be moved somewhere and somehow so i'll bite my tongue for 1 offseson while all the other teams continue to upgrade alot around us.  But next year we really need to start moving some of these pitching pieces and grabbing some of these top tier FA's for more than 1 year so we can go after championships.

10 hours ago, devils1854 said:

MLB thought the same thing when the trade was finalized, and Liberty went into a binding contract guaranteeing that they would do no such thing, otherwise they would forfeit the franchise. Terry McGuirk is the one that does everything. He is the de facto owner.

Interesting, it looks like the MLB did their due diligence. If you're a Braves fan, you have to question McGuirk then. Does he have a vested interest in keeping profits up; maybe setting himself up to appeal to the next owner once Liberty Media sells the team.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:27 AM, THE DUKE said:

If the Cubs are out of money, then there is some serious embezzlement happening in Chicago.

Yeah, they have loads of money and will only be getting more.  They just aren't willing to spend it, like the vast majority of other owners in baseball.  It's annoying.  But when Tom Ricketts tells the media that "there isn't any more money", it's insulting.  There are tens, maybe hundreds of millions available if need be.  But how on earth are we supposed to sleep at night knowing they may not get freshly flown in Russian caviar on their bagels each  morning if they have to pay $30 million a year for Bryce Harper?  HOW I ASK YOU?!?!

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, they have loads of money and will only be getting more.  They just aren't willing to spend it, like the vast majority of other owners in baseball.  It's annoying.  But when Tom Ricketts tells the media that "there isn't any more money", it's insulting.  There are tens, maybe hundreds of millions available if need be.  But how on earth are we supposed to sleep at night knowing they may not get freshly flown in Russian caviar on their bagels each  morning if they have to pay $30 million a year for Bryce Harper?  HOW I ASK YOU?!?!

So they should spend money to spend money?  I have no issues with teams putting a clamp on what they're spending.  They're currently projected to have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball just $10M less than Boston.  Could they spend $20M more?  Sure, but is it in their best interest?  Probably not.

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So they should spend money to spend money?  I have no issues with teams putting a clamp on what they're spending.  They're currently projected to have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball just $10M less than Boston.  Could they spend $20M more?  Sure, but is it in their best interest?  Probably not.

What does "in their best interest" mean?

Because I would assume you could make a pretty damn strong business case for a company starting its own network next year to sign the most marketable player in baseball to supplement a team with WS expectations, especially when they'd still be quite profitable.

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What does "in their best interest" mean?

Because I would assume you could make a pretty damn strong business case for a company starting its own network next year to sign the most marketable player in baseball to supplement a team with WS expectations, especially when they'd still be quite profitable.

I mean, you don't think the Cubs regret handing out Jason Heyward the 8 year, $184M contract they gave him back in 2015?  If they don't hand that contract to the Heyward, maybe they're in on Bryce Harper this offseason.  Right now, they've got a starting OF of Jason Heyward ($22.5M), Kyle Schwarber ($3.3M), and Albert Almora (Minimum).  Sure, you can go and throw crazy money at Bryce Harper and roll with either Heyward or Harper in CF for now, but they're going to have to move into the corner OF spot sooner rather than later.  Them spending crazy on Heyward back in 2015 directly is tying to their lack of willingness to get involved on Harper this offseason.  You can't justify putting a $20M+ salary on the bench, and it's not like the Cubs want to bury Schwarber on the bench.  So you're either dealing Schwarber for essentially pennies on the dollar or you're hoping that one of your OFers defy the age curve.

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, you don't think the Cubs regret handing out Jason Heyward the 8 year, $184M contract they gave him back in 2015?  If they don't hand that contract to the Heyward, maybe they're in on Bryce Harper this offseason.  Right now, they've got a starting OF of Jason Heyward ($22.5M), Kyle Schwarber ($3.3M), and Albert Almora (Minimum).  Sure, you can go and throw crazy money at Bryce Harper and roll with either Heyward or Harper in CF for now, but they're going to have to move into the corner OF spot sooner rather than later.  Them spending crazy on Heyward back in 2015 directly is tying to their lack of willingness to get involved on Harper this offseason.  You can't justify putting a $20M+ salary on the bench, and it's not like the Cubs want to bury Schwarber on the bench.  So you're either dealing Schwarber for essentially pennies on the dollar or you're hoping that one of your OFers defy the age curve.

Or you're expecting a DH spot in the NL to open well before Heyward needs to leave CF.

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Or you're expecting a DH spot in the NL to open well before Heyward needs to leave CF.

From what I recall, the DH in the NL idea is supposed to be 4 years off (if that) - but (far as you're concerned.....) no matter - the organization can afford to spend stupidly. It's that gross revenues concept again. Doesnt matter if its bad business so long as it doesnt put you in the poor house to run a bad business.

Besides - I thought you were concerned the DH coming to there NL was a bad idea cause it was gonna put so many players on the unemployment line. Now you can see a role for it? I guess theres exceptions to every rule.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Do you expect that? I know there is heavy talk but still seams there is too much distaste from some NL teams for it to happen in the next couple years.

20 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Whats the link up there then he posted with us at 84 million or so in spending being int he bottom 5.  Thats the reason i was complaining so much is because 85 million or so would be just ridiculously low compared to what we were bringing in.  But even at 114 million as you said we have a good 15 to 20 million to play with they promised we had and we haven't done pretty much anything with it. I'll keep my mouth shut if we can somehow get kimbrel with whats left over as he would then make our bullpen deadly with the arms we already have in it and keep our starting pitchers fresher and not having to worry about going longer.   We all know Snit loves to pull guys early around the 6th inning so having a guy like kimbrel handling the 9th allows me to feel more comfortable with guys like minter, Viz, Venters, and the others handling only 2 innings.   But still i think we failed on bringing Cakes back and using up some of that money we had left over if you take that 5 mil off and use the other 15 to 20 or so theirs no way we couldn't have offered someone a nice contract to upgrade RF.    But as you said we are a year ahead of schedule and tons of pitching prospects that need to be moved somewhere and somehow so i'll bite my tongue for 1 offseson while all the other teams continue to upgrade alot around us.  But next year we really need to start moving some of these pitching pieces and grabbing some of these top tier FA's for more than 1 year so we can go after championships.

That link doesnt explain it quite as well as another link that I cant find. I think it was either from Talking Chop or Knockahoma Nation, but basically the 84ish million was what MLB was telling Liberty they had to do, but Liberty went as far to say that there would be no max, and that the team could spend as much as they could afford.

The whole right field thing might have been part our fault but also part bad luck. AA tried to get Brantley, and offered a great contract, but he chose the Astros. Signing Pollock would have cost us our 2nd round pick. Thats a no. I dont think any sane team would give Cutch a 50 million contract. I would have been pissed if we would have done that. Like it or not, we werent getting Harper, even though we could easily do it since we have exactly 31 million dollars tied up for the 2021 season. I would have loved to get Haniger, but Seattle is stupidly refusing to make him available. Detroit wants a top prospect for Castellanos, and he isnt worth it, especially since he is on the last year of his deal. David Peralta? Arizona doesnt want to trade him now. Who knows if any of the rumors were true that we were in talks with the Rangers for Joey Gallo. That left some not great options. Would you rather have Markakis for 4 million, or a Carlos Gonzalez/Adam Jones/Marwin Gonzalez? None are great, but 4 million wouldnt stop the team from upgrading midseason if an option is available.......There are rumors, not sure if they are true, that the Padres would trade Wil Myers but he is owed 67 million over three years starting in 2020(5 mil 2019). We could move Teheran for him(11 mil 2019/12 mil option 2020), but they would still have to throw in some money. Maybe around 20 million.

The would be one silver lining if we had a down year this year. It would allow AA to fire Snitker and go after his guy.

Archived