2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

48 minutes ago, mission27 said:

100 is a nice number... so what?

They lost their division last year by 8 games and then passed up several clear opportunities to make the team better while continuing to spend less than they have for most of the past decade.

Sure the Yankees will be good next year but when they’re trailing Boston in July and people are talking about flipping valuable prospects for averageish players to plug gaps in the lineup remember we could’ve had a top-5 or 10 player without giving up baseball assets.

Not sure of the "100 is a nice number" comment, but no matter. The rest of your comment I agree with - to an extent.

Lets talk JD Martinez. I would have LOVED for the NYY to have snagged him last year - and in the "gross revenues" context - it was more than doable. Good player. Good contract. Position of need (IMO moreso than some other fans.....) - would have made for a real nice lineup and look at his production. MVP levels. But the NYY  didnt value the talent enough to pick up the tab on (what I considered at least.....) an under market contract cost - as they wanted to reset their luxury tax penalty - so it paid off big for BOS. If JD were on the market this year........the asking price would be considerably higher. The NYY have paid thru the nose on luxury taxes since the beginning and last year they wanted to cut the % on future overages. Smart move. Especially when you factor in that all those overages weren't resulting in championships.

In 2017 - the NYY and BOS spent the same amount of money.
BOS won 93 games and the east by two games. Lost in the playoffs.
NYY won 91 games - went further in the playoffs - but lost in the ALCS.
In 2018 - BOS upped its expenditure - outspent NYY by 47M - and won 108 games (to NYY 100) and the WS.

Was it just the cash? Or the mix of talent? As said numerous times - and its not a point of arguement between us - the highest payroll has failed to win the championship enough times for people to recognize its not just the cash outlay - IMO at least.

I was "in" on the NYY going for Harper. Not at 30M a year in (cause I just dont think he's worth it......) but because (IMO) his talents fit their roster needs moreso than Machado - even though Machado is by most measures the more complete player. It might be close - but I think Machado gets the nod. The NYY upped their expenditures for this year - but in different players and positions. Oh well. Should they have just ponied up for Harper and thrown him on the pile? Overall cost be damned? Well, in the "gross revenues is all that counts world" - yes. Based on that criteria they could have but would it have been smart business? Not so much. They're already very profitable. They're already a TOP attendance draw. They already get as much (if not more) national coverage than other teams. The "marketability" factor does not fit into the equation. They're already there.  

Fans would have been happy. Not much question about that -  until of course ticket prices and costs go up and (when/if) we fail to win a championship - which history has shown us is actually more probable than not.

36 minutes ago, mission27 said:

100 is a nice number... so what?

They lost their division last year by 8 games and then passed up several clear opportunities to make the team better while continuing to spend less than they have for most of the past decade.

Sure the Yankees will be good next year but when they’re trailing Boston in July and people are talking about flipping valuable prospects for averageish players to plug gaps in the lineup remember we could’ve had a top-5 or 10 player without giving up baseball assets.

It's not just short term losses either. Machado and Harper are each sure-fire hall of famers, and they're auctioning their Canton bust. You sign them because that's the Yankee brand and it's why kids in the Dominican and Japan and China and Kora and every other emerging baseball markets all buy Yankee hats.

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's not just short term losses either. Machado and Harper are each sure-fire hall of famers, and they're auctioning their Canton bust. You sign them because that's the Yankee brand and it's why kids in the Dominican and Japan and China and Kora and every other emerging baseball markets all buy Yankee hats.

Yes - and all the profit from those hat purchases is already going to the NYY organization - without outlay of 30M a year to either Harper or Machado.

Collusion? Not so much.

Nationals owner Mark Lerner told NBC Sports on Friday that the team had moved on from the star  who spent the first seven years of his career in Washington after it made him the first overall pick in 2010.

“Nothing’s certainly changed on our end,” Lerner said. “We’ve moved on. As I said back then and we had to. There was no way we could wait around. Bryce, I’m sure will make his decision hopefully in the next few days, but we’ve filled out our roster and like I said, we wish him nothing but the best.”

The Nationals made Harper a 10-year, 300 million offer prior to the end of the regular season, but Harper and agent Scott Boras rejected it. The proposed deal included the same numbers that Harper’s fellow free agent, Manny Machado, signed for his week with San Diego.

Machado was introduced during a press conference with the Padres on Friday in Scottsdale, Ariz. and San Diego general manager A.J. Preller was asked if the team still had room for Harper after the addition of Machado and he didn’t say no.

Harper has drawn interest from the Phillies, White Sox, Giants and Machado’s Padres, with Philadelphia being seen as the favorite for much of the offseason.

Reds are talking to Jose Iglesias about a minor league deal.  With Alex Blandino still recovering from an ACL injury last year Iglesias would likely make the team as the backup middle infielder behind Jose Peraza and Scooter Gennett.

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep.  Bad business decision and bad baseball decision tbh.

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Not sure of the "100 is a nice number" comment, but no matter. The rest of your comment I agree with - to an extent.

My point being it sounds nice to say you won 100 games but it doesn’t mean much when another team in your division won 108 and the 100 wins bought you a 1 game playoff with a 98 win team.  

The bar is very high right now and being a 100 win team is not a good excuse to not try to get better.

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

My point being it sounds nice to say you won 100 games but it doesn’t mean much when another team in your division won 108 and the 100 wins bought you a 1 game playoff with a 98 win team.  The bar is very high right now and being a 100 win team is not a good excuse to not try to get better.

Actually - realizing we're fans of the same team and therefore have no reason to hassle each other - I never said (or implied) "100 was enough".
I dont feel that way at all - but there were any number of factors that played into them ONLY winning 100 games: Bird, Sanchez (non factor seasons) ; AJs month(s) out ; a pitching staff that was short. Personally, I think the failure to get Cole was more a factor in the end results than failure to spend more.

In any case - w/o getting into the roster and performance weeds of last year - I believe, the NYY have been one of (if not the) highest spender this off season. Not sure if we're number one.....but we're close if not - as I mentioned elsewhere, its was where they decided to put their cash.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Collusion? Not so much.

Nationals owner Mark Lerner told NBC Sports on Friday that the team had moved on from the star  who spent the first seven years of his career in Washington after it made him the first overall pick in 2010.

“Nothing’s certainly changed on our end,” Lerner said. “We’ve moved on. As I said back then and we had to. There was no way we could wait around. Bryce, I’m sure will make his decision hopefully in the next few days, but we’ve filled out our roster and like I said, we wish him nothing but the best.”

The Nationals made Harper a 10-year, 300 million offer prior to the end of the regular season, but Harper and agent Scott Boras rejected it. The proposed deal included the same numbers that Harper’s fellow free agent, Manny Machado, signed for his week with San Diego.

Machado was introduced during a press conference with the Padres on Friday in Scottsdale, Ariz. and San Diego general manager A.J. Preller was asked if the team still had room for Harper after the addition of Machado and he didn’t say no.

Harper has drawn interest from the Phillies, White Sox, Giants and Machado’s Padres, with Philadelphia being seen as the favorite for much of the offseason.

Wasn't $100 million deferred compensation?

Archived