Dolphins cut DT Jordan Phillips, former 2nd round pick; Claimed by Bills

TheKillerNacho

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24874200/jordan-phillips-released-miami-dolphins

A 2nd round pick in 2015, Phillips was a starter last season but lost that role to Davon Godchaux this season. He was seen having a verbal confrontation with the coaches in the midst of the 38-7 loss against the Patriots last Sunday.

He was the third-worst ranked DT according to ProFootballFocus, as of Week 4.

Update: The Bills have claimed Jordan Phillips.

21 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I didn't think he was going to get re-signed anyways b/c another team would overpay for him. 

Why would another team over pay for him or even sign him? He kinda sucks.

I have no doubt some team will scoop him up because of his 2nd-round status, but he's been a pretty ineffective NFL player his entire career. Very telling when you lose most of your playtime to Davon Godchaux, Akeem Spence, and Vincent Taylor.

32 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Ra' Shede Hageman 2.0...looks great plays bad.

Frustrating because his "on" plays had dominant outcomes, but those plays were few and far between. It just didn't seem to be there between the ears. He was in a contract year and couldn't get on the field more often than mid/late round picks drafted last offseason (who have, for the most part, actually been performing quite well - certainly beyond my expectations).

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Frustrating because his "on" plays had dominant outcomes, but those plays were few and far between. It just didn't seem to be there between the ears. He was in a contract year and couldn't get on the field more often than mid/late round picks drafted last offseason (who have, for the most part, actually been performing quite well - certainly beyond my expectations).

I've really been pleasantly surprised with Davon Godchaux especially.

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Former Rhodes Scholar from Oklahoma, majored in "Media Relations and Sheeyat". Carries a certain cachet for having once been a second-round pick, meaning he will be given chances far beyond what his play on the field warrants. Also gets points for being the size of a Stonehenge slab, and almost as mobile as one. Neatness freak, used to shine his shoes while sitting on the bench; he would bend over and buff them vigorously with the top of his hair-do. 

Image result for Jordan Phillips

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Ra' Shede Hageman 2.0...looks great plays bad.

I thought Hageman being let go was because of a domestic violence issue and off the field stuff, not so much to do about his play on the field like apparently it was with Phillips.  But yeah anyone who watched Jordan Phillips in college, yeah he was a physically impressive DT with worlds of upside and potential.  Not surprised he was drafted that high at all, but was clearly given time and they want to let him go.  Will see if he gets another short or not.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I thought Hageman being let go was because of a domestic violence issue and off the field stuff, not so much to do about his play on the field like apparently it was with Phillips.  But yeah anyone who watched Jordan Phillips in college, yeah he was a physically impressive DT with worlds of upside and potential.  Not surprised he was drafted that high at all, but was clearly given time and they want to let him go.  Will see if he gets another short or not.  

I think his measurables and draft status alone will get him looks. I'd be surprised if he's able to latch on somewhere for any extended period of time, however. Not even money seems to matter to this guy - he was in a contract year and he just couldn't be bothered to put in the effort to get playing time.

Archived