Week 5: New Orleans Saints - MNF

Ghostnote

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Cooley said for years that there only a few minutes that the coaches have to make adjustments at half time for the players.  He said the players have like 20 minutes, they usually go to the bathroom and then the coach says something to them.

Bottomline is, adjustments are and need to be made on the sidelines after each series. That’s why they have the iPads and why the positon coaches talk to each of their groups on the sidelines. That’s the adjustments that are key, the “halftime adjustments” phrase is basically just malarkey. 

The coaches have the luxury on being on the sidelines and up in the booth. There are multiple coaches looking at what the other team is doing. They have more than just "a few minutes". They can see what the other team is doing in the first half and scheme against it so the coach can relay it at halftime.

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

The coaches have the luxury on being on the sidelines and up in the booth. There are multiple coaches looking at what the other team is doing. They have more than just "a few minutes". They can see what the other team is doing in the first half and scheme against it so the coach can relay it at halftime.

So... Cooley was lying? Again, he said the players go to the bathroom get injuries tended to etc, there’s just not that much time as people think for the HC to address the players. They don’t go in the lockeroom, and then that’s all they do.

I’m not denying adjustments are made, they just are made before halftime. They are made after each series.

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Bottomline is, adjustments are and need to be made on the sidelines after each series. That’s why they have the iPads and why the positon coaches talk to each of their groups on the sidelines. That’s the adjustments that are key, the “halftime adjustments” phrase is basically just malarkey. 

Okay, then ... they need to do better in their sideline adjustments after halftime.

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh no! We suck again!

https://youtu.be/v4jGSvxCRp4

Since I used something from Waterboy in the Nintendo thread, I figure I would share it here:

If The Waterboy was a person and a legal citizen of the United States, it could have voted in the 2016 presidential election and is looking forward to drinking next year.

This has been today's "do you feel old now?" moment.

59 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Cooley said for years that there only a few minutes that the coaches have to make adjustments at half time for the players.  He said the players have like 20 minutes, they usually go to the bathroom and then the coach says something to them.

So jay can’t make adjustments to his play calling on what he sees from the D? Halftime adjustments is a generalized term. 

52 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So... Cooley was lying? Again, he said the players go to the bathroom get injuries tended to etc, there’s just not that much time as people think for the HC to address the players. They don’t go in the lockeroom, and then that’s all they do.

I’m not denying adjustments are made, they just are made before halftime. They are made after each series.

Not saying Cooley is lying but I’d guess the  staff in the booth stays up there and talks adjustments. Lots of times we see QBs come out for 2nd half and head straight to the phone. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No he's not. I don't think you heard him correctly and think you're misunderstanding what I said. Yes, the coaches only have a few minutes to relay the changes. But they have the entire 1st half to come up with them

6 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

No he's not. I don't think you heard him correctly and think you're misunderstanding what I said. Yes, the coaches only have a few minutes to relay the changes. But they have the entire 1st half to come up with them

Which is what I am saying. They make the adjustments as they go, especially with the help of all the new technologies now like the iPad’s or surfaces that they use.

26 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So we're all on the same page that Jay has to be better about making adjustments? I will retract my term "halftime" if it makes you feel better. That's just usually a term used...

I definitely agree. I always find it annoying that after the first 15 or whatever that they have issues deviating and giving the defense different looks.

For example, vs the Colts they put both of their DTs in the A gaps so that Peterson couldn’t get going.

Jay just ended up abandoning the run instead of running some outside zone or sweeps with CT & AD.

I didn’t see enough RPO in that game either or play action/bootleg action. There are things we could’ve done to get the Colts D off balance since they played 2 deep safeties and we didn’t.

It was annoying 

Well with Ingram back along with Kamara along with Brees and Mike Thomas who is the Anti Doctson!!! I see no way we keep up unless AP and Thompson and Reed Combine for about 275 yards of offense atleast. Also our defense is going to have to be on their toes sideline to sideline but the best start to slowing them down I believe will be finding a way to stuff their backs early!! That said unless we magically find some pass catchers not named Thompson and Reed I don’t see us winning even if the defense can keep it close. I’d love to see a statement defensive performance but you can never expect that against the saints

Archived