No suspension for Hicks

Pool

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

That's big, what's his fine though.

$33K

2 things really worked in Hicks favor.  1, He is a known good dude and what little bit you can see doesn't look like much in the way of contact. 2) There was legitimately zero coverage of the incident outside of Chicago, and the Chicago coverage was only would he be suspended or not.  No need for the league to come down hard to send a message or save face.  I do think the league needs to instruct its officials to not physically touch players.  It's an emotional violent sport and players sometimes only feel something and can't see what it is.  Hicks had gone in to help break up a scrum and it looks like the official got in front of him and put his hands on him.  Hicks gave a "get your hands off me" move.

12 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

$33K

2 things really worked in Hicks favor.  1, He is a known good dude and what little bit you can see doesn't look like much in the way of contact. 2) There was legitimately zero coverage of the incident outside of Chicago, and the Chicago coverage was only would he be suspended or not.  No need for the league to come down hard to send a message or save face.  I do think the league needs to instruct its officials to not physically touch players.  It's an emotional violent sport and players sometimes only feel something and can't see what it is.  Hicks had gone in to help break up a scrum and it looks like the official got in front of him and put his hands on him.  Hicks gave a "get your hands off me" move.

You have to always respect officials, but your emotional point about game is valid.

I have no idea how guys do press conferences immediately after games.  Takes a lot of self control.  You put so much into a game throughout a week, 80-90 hours often, and to play bad or lose can be just crushing and make you crazy.  

Heck I would put 40-50 hours or so into middle school games when I was coaching. These guys sleep at the facilities often.  The coaches anyway. 

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You have to always respect officials, but your emotional point about game is valid.

I have no idea how guys do press conferences immediately after games.  Takes a lot of self control.  You put so much into a game throughout a week, 80-90 hours often, and to play bad or lose can be just crushing and make you crazy.  

Heck I would put 40-50 hours or so into middle school games when I was coaching. These guys sleep at the facilities often.  The coaches anyway. 

Even at D-III we had mock interviews and stuff to make sure we didn't look stupid or embarrass the staff/college. Our coaches used it as a small break from the grind during 2-a-days for example. I'd like to hear about the major programs and what kind of work they put in for their image.

That being said, I just don't think many guys take losing as hard as they did 20 years ago. Even after the beatdown CHI gave TB, there were still guys on the TB team laughing and talking right after the loss. From junior high on if I lost a game I was automatically in a foul mood, crushed like you say. Some of those games had literally 30 people watching. Losing in front of a massive crowd or national TV would have me p***d off. At least for a minute until I was able to step off the field and compose myself a bit.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Even at D-III we had mock interviews and stuff to make sure we didn't look stupid or embarrass the staff/college. Our coaches used it as a small break from the grind during 2-a-days for example. I'd like to hear about the major programs and what kind of work they put in for their image.

That being said, I just don't think many guys take losing as hard as they did 20 years ago. Even after the beatdown CHI gave TB, there were still guys on the TB team laughing and talking right after the loss. From junior high on if I lost a game I was automatically in a foul mood, crushed like you say. Some of those games had literally 30 people watching. Losing in front of a massive crowd or national TV would have me p***d off. At least for a minute until I was able to step off the field and compose myself a bit.

I understand the rants.  Media makes fun, but it’s hard.  

As a player it was way easier than as a coach.  If you played well you felt okay win or lose unless it was a really big game.  Your like I did my job and I did my best, what more can I do?  

As a coach every loss is crushing. You feel responsible.  I can see QBs taking it hard too.  

21 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

$33K

It seemed to me, during the game, that he pushed the guy away before he even realized it was an official. 

19 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

It seemed to me, during the game, that he pushed the guy away before he even realized it was an official. 

I didn't see it as it wasn't on gamepass, but that sounds like him.  He is a high character guy.

Archived