Rank the Current Free Agents

WindyCity

I have been working on a post about the Bears 2019 cap space and to summarize it is going to be tight. I do not think that the Bears can afford to keep all of the current top end free agents that they have.

If you had to rank the following 3 players based on priority, how would you rank them? Contract projections are based on position deals from 2017 and 2016.

Adrian Amos [7 million]
Bryce Callahan [5-6 million]
Aaron Lynch [5-6 million]

For me

1. Bryce Callahan
2. Aaron Lynch
3. Adrian Amos

I just cannot see them spending 7-8 million a season on Amos for a couple of reasons,

1. It would hurt more in 2019 financially
2. Eddie Jackson looks like a star and will have to be paid
3. Lack of big plays

There is no doubt he is a good player, but can you have Amos making 8/season playing beside Jackson making 10-12/season?

I can't see anyone spending 7-8 million/year on Amos. I'd be stunned if he got that, because 1) he's a safety, 2) he doesn't make any big plays and 3) that would make him the 11th highest paid safety.

Guys like Reid and Vacarro were unsigned for a long time. The safety market isn't huge anymore.

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

For me

1. Bryce Callahan
2. Aaron Lynch
3. Adrian Amos

Seconded. The team is going to have some serious draft needs next year, especially since the later round safeties have not (as of yet) developed into serviceable players. Whether or not Bush can replace Amos will dictate the top of the team’s draft. 

1. Callahan

2. Amos

3. Lynch

- Callahan has played exceptionally well. I'm ready to give him the money to make him one of the top paid NB's, number 2 money. He is making imp[act plays, covering well, and coming up hard against the run.

- Amos is a solid starter, and at SS an upgrade over 20 team's SS. He isn't elite, but he is damn solid all around, and consistently so. Comes to hit with bad intentions and his speed is something that allows him to cover a LOT of ground. He would be harder to replace with the lost draft picks than many seem to think. If he is paid as the 11th highest paid safety, it would be very temporary. You have guys like Collins, Hooker, Adams, Neal, Joyner, Byard, Mathieu (if he stays healthy), etc that are going to need bigger deals soon. All will get paid more and it is well expected that Fitzpatrick and Derwin James will get significantly higher deals as well. Sign him to be the 11th highest paid safety now and he will be close to the 20th highest soon enough.

- Lynch has played pretty well, absolutely, but he has had enough poor stretches to cause concern. He went downhill after his rookie year to being a healthy scratch last year. I'm all for re-signing him but I think it has to be one with little guaranteed money. If he sustains his play he could absolutely move in front of Amos but right now he is a distant third in comparison as I think his play drops off sooner rather than later. 

1. Amos

2. Callahan

3. Lynch

Altho truth be told we need to resign all three...not just for them as players but to create a culture...how often do we post mock drafts with 7 or 8 guys from other teams? How often do we hope we bring in the same in real life free agency? We need to show that we are going to keep and reward our talented guys and build from within...if we resign the guys we want to keep your olny looking at 3 or 4 mid-level or depth guys as well as the draft to stay competitive.

13 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

1. Amos

2. Callahan

3. Lynch

Altho truth be told we need to resign all three...not just for them as players but to create a culture...how often do we post mock drafts with 7 or 8 guys from other teams? How often do we hope we bring in the same in real life free agency? We need to show that we are going to keep and reward our talented guys and build from within...if we resign the guys we want to keep your olny looking at 3 or 4 mid-level or depth guys as well as the draft to stay competitive.

I actually think that will continue, but only for depth. Not sure we won't retain all base starters with the possible exception of Massie. Granted we have 20 FAs for 2019 but a lot will take small deals I imagine. I'm interested in seeing what is done with Coward especially.

Guys I do want to re-sign in order-
Callahan - kid is balling out

Amos - not elite but solid all around

RRH - arrow is pointing up, mismatch for OGs

Lynch - high ceiling but very low floor. Wish his motor was consistently hot and he would be a star

Coward - big man with good feet. The heir to Massie's spot maybe?

Irving- showed flashes and I LOVE having deep OLB. With Acho going to IR youth will probably take Acho out of the Bears' plans next year.

Braunecker (as a FB) - Burton has been ok I guess. Low ceiling guy who just isn't very good. Physically Braunecker is superior, and he is a talented guy in a loaded position. He is an underrated runblocker, I'm projecting him to be able to lead block

Kush - solid swing interior lineman

O'Donnell - 6th in NFL in net average, seems to do a solid job at holding too as I can't remember a botched hold

Scales - mini-Mannelly has one role, and does it well enough I usually forget his first name.

Cunningham - solid depth that prevents a need, can probably get 1-2 more years out of him due to lack of hits on him.

DHC - solid special teamer usually and young. Hope he is McManis 2.0

Bellamy - has been more ineffective than previous years on ST coverage (may change, just only has 1 tackle so far), but still taking on blockers and not a bad option as the bottom WR

White - minimum deal (non-negotiable) and fights for the roster spot. Love the kid's heart and may be able to use that freak physicality to stay in the NFL as a bottom WR/ST standout. Plus even as a guy that doesn't normally dress if 2 WRs go down he at least has a year in the system compared to someone off the street.

17 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

They would have went 1-15 last year with Glennon and their new QB would be Darnold or Mayfield.

Could you imagine if the Bears would have been seduced by Josh Allen?

I might have given up on the Bears at that point. Maybe.

Ugh. This though is depressing.

Always liked Callahan but first four games this year he's gotten even better, I'd love to see him get a multi-year deal.

I have a feeling they're going to pay Amos, right now I'd let him walk for the money he may cost. See how my feelings have changed if he's made a few more splash plays over the course of the season.

Lynch I'd like back, still young (younger than Leonard Floyd!) and as a rotational OLB, his stat line of 2 sacks and 1 INT in four games is more than you'd ask for.

My priorities on that list above by @Sugashane too would be RRH, Coward, O'Donnell, Scales. Though really there's no-one on there who I really hope doesn't come back, each player has positives.

Also I'm paying Kevin White until he scores a TD, even if he's out there age 45.

Archived