Rank the Current Free Agents

WindyCity

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

That seemed to be unique to this group of free agents.

The previous year there were 4 safeties who signed multi-year deals averaging more than 6 million a season.

I am not sure why Amos would take less than Kurt Coleman, unless the safety market is permanently in the tank.

You can't just discount a trend because it doesn't fit with your narrative. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

You can't just discount a trend because it doesn't fit with your narrative. 

1 year is not a trend. In fact it is the opposite of a trend. It isn't even 1 year it is really 2 guys, Tre Boston and Kenny Vaccaro that found a garbage market for them. Eric Ried was for obvious other reasons.

6 million plus safety deals that were done in the last 3 season

2018: 6

2017: 9

2016: 5

There are currently 23 safeties making more than 6 million annually.

There are 30 making more than 5 million annually.

I am not sure why Amos would except less than guys like T.J McDonald, Ricardo Allen, Quandre Diggs, Jonathan Cyprien, or why he would accept being the 31st best paid safety in the NFL, unless there is an incredibly slow market for him.

Callahan Comps

High End

Aaron Colvin 4 years 34 million/18 guaranteed [Which we cannot afford]

Mid Range

D.J Hayden 3 years 19 million/9.5 guaranteed [We can afford]

Lower End

Nikel Robey-Coleman 3 years 15.5 million/8 guaranteed

All 3 players are primarily slot CBs.

There are really 2 tax brackets in this group. 4-6 million and 8-10 million, with a majority of guys in the 4.5-5 range, which may be a little light if Callahan continues to play at his current level.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

1 year is not a trend. In fact it is the opposite of a trend. It isn't even 1 year it is really 2 guys, Tre Boston and Kenny Vaccaro that found a garbage market for them. Eric Ried was for obvious other reasons.

6 million plus safety deals that were done in the last 3 season

2018: 6

2017: 9

2016: 5

There are currently 23 safeties making more than 6 million annually.

There are 30 making more than 5 million annually.

I am not sure why Amos would except less than guys like T.J McDonald, Ricardo Allen, Quandre Diggs, Jonathan Cyprien, or why he would accept being the 31st best paid safety in the NFL, unless there is an incredibly slow market for him.

Vaccaro is a far superior player to Amos and almost didn’t get a contract. Since signing in Tennessee he’s been a big time difference maker for them. Amos may get that kind of contract that you’re anticipating, but I’m not sure how we’re going to assume that in October 2018 based on what we’ve just seen.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Vaccaro is a far superior player to Amos and almost didn’t get a contract. Since signing in Tennessee he’s been a big time difference maker for them. Amos may get that kind of contract that you’re anticipating, but I’m not sure how we’re going to assume that in October 2018 based on what we’ve just seen.

I disagree completely. He is a wildly streaky player who has often been a liability in coverage. He will make some wow plays but blow move coverages than he makes. Essentially he is the slightly upgraded Marcus Cooper/Chris Conte mold at safety.

Amos is unspectacular but his play overall is better. He is better vs the run and pass overall, and while he doesn't provide as many splash plays he doesn't give them up either. Add in how he can't seem to stay healthy and there is plenty of reason to see why Amos will get a deal faster than Vaccaro did.

It's reasonable to say someone will pay Amos 6 million per year since other comparable guys got that last year (Allen, Tartt, Diggs, Coleman).

I don't think Bears will do it.  They will go cheap, rookie or convert a corner.  If one of safeties is going to get eventually paid it will be Jackson.  You can't pay two safeties.  Most teams don't want to pay safeties at all.  

Play making safeties make big bucks, rest get peanuts.  But if you look most of them have been hurt after their big contract and have not been worth the signing.  Might be a coincidence, but likely makes teams leary.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Because Kenny Vaccaro and Tre Boston are 2 guys at a position where 30 guys make over 5 million/season.

Do you think Amos is going to agree to be the 31st paid safety in the NFL? I doubt he is going to accept barely being paid as a starter based on his starts and health.

Vaccaro and Boston are the exceptions not the rules.

Guys, can we just take a second to think about how our roster has gotten to a point where we are debating how much we should be paying our own draft picks for their 2nd contracts? been a while since we have been able to do this.

As far as Amos goes, I think he's a good player. Definitely worth of a 2nd contract. However, i believe Jackson is a better player, and if he continues this play, is more worthy of a bigger deal. I don't see the Bears being a big player in FA this year, just back filling the roster, which means if Amos leaves and we fill his position with Bush, then we could be in line to start getting comp picks.

Amos was a 5th rounder, and Pace has shown a very good track record at grabbing guys in the later rounds and UDFA that can come in and be players for us. Adding another bullet in the chamber for Pace by grabbing a comp pick in the later round can end up being a good thing for us.

I think Fangio and Donatell are going to be crucial parts of how the Amos situation goes down. If they truly believe that Bush, DHC, or some street FA is going to be able to do a comparable job for less then I get it. Jackson is a potential All-Pro while Amos really isn't. My concern is that I have seen very little to think Bush or DHC is good enough to do so. Yes, Pace has struck some serious gold in the mid to late rounds, but that can't always be counted on if Bush and DHC aren't starter quality after several years of tutelage under Donatell. I'm not overly keen on a rookie being thrown in and hoping he doesn't burn us Conte-style.

It would be interesting to see what they would do to try and replace him if they don't stay in-house though. Do they try to have another center-fielder type like Jackson that is interchangeable? Could be a bigger CB turned FS like Jackson or Sydney Jones? Or do they do a bruiser like a Killebrew prospect and really set the difference between the FS and SS? Convert a "too-small" LB to the spot and take him out when in nickel for someone like Tolliver to match up in coverage? I really like the speed Amos has and with how big and athletic our front 7 is I wouldn't mind another center-fielder to put in there.

Way too early to even guess really, just too many variables to consider.

The last thing I’ll say is Amos’ best chance at a contract of 6+/year is if he makes some big plays down the stretch and it continues in the postseason with everyone watching. He needs to be seen. If that happens, that tends to drive up prices of players.

Otherwise I think he’ll end in the 4-5 range.

As for Vacarro, we’ll disagree. Yeah, he isn’t the best safety in football, but his splash plays are big time. He is a game changer when he’s on. When Amos is “on,” he’s steady and makes a decent hit or two.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

The last thing I’ll say is Amos’ best chance at a contract of 6+/year is if he makes some big plays down the stretch and it continues in the postseason with everyone watching. He needs to be seen. If that happens, that tends to drive up prices of players.

Otherwise I think he’ll end in the 4-5 range.

As for Vacarro, we’ll disagree. Yeah, he isn’t the best safety in football, but his splash plays are big time. He is a game changer when he’s on. When Amos is “on,” he’s steady and makes a decent hit or two.

4-5 is not starter money anymore.

I do not see anyway he ends up on that deal unless he runs into a Vaccaro market.

Archived