Week 5 GDT: Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, John232 said:

He is, but I could see us going harder on him. Cowboys also have to pay Lawrence and Dak here soon. 

Dak is awful. Have you seen the comparison between he and osweiler? Pretty damning. If I were the cowboys, I'd be trying for Teddy or calling about Carr. Lawrence is set for a Payday though

22 minutes ago, John232 said:

Corner play appears to be better, if we go and get ET that's going to do a lot. Assuming he plays at the same level (no reason not too, not an achilles level injury). I think all of our young DB's will get better with more playing time and this year is a good year to sharpen them up. In my mind, (and literally anyone who watches us) our biggest focus this off-season HAS to be edge, and MULTIPLE guys. to the point where I have no problem if we draft a guy like Bosa, then trade up into the first and grab another guy. Screw Thomas, dude can get better or get out. Let him, Armstead and Street battle out for the big edge position next year or w.e the hell they want to do on nickel downs. 

But PLEASE clear the cap with Smith, Garcon, Celek and Mitchell. Roster filler. 

Only Mitchell really saves any money. Makes more sense to release coyle than Smith. Garcon saves very little. Celek meh. 

The guys who should be fgone are Gilliam (5m),  Marsh (4m), could make a case on armstead (8m), coyle (2m I think). 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Dak is awful. Have you seen the comparison between he and osweiler? Pretty damning. If I were the cowboys, I'd be trying for Teddy or calling about Carr. Lawrence is set for a Payday though

I know he's been awful, but Dallas feels committed. Dak is weirdly one  (just because of Dallas) one of the faces of the NFL. I could see Dallas trying to make it work. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think the Cowboys give up on Dak though. Jerry will think it is due to the lack of weapons. Dak has played been playing better the last few games, but still misses on too many throws. 

Cowboys are really in cap hell. I think with ET it will come down to us, Dallas or KC. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Only Mitchell really saves any money. Makes more sense to release coyle than Smith. Garcon saves very little. Celek meh. 

The guys who should be fgone are Gilliam (5m),  Marsh (4m), could make a case on armstead (8m), coyle (2m I think). 

I think the cap hit goes way down after next year for Garcon, right? Coyle could and should be gone too. ST Aces are overrated. just don't purge your whole team of them at once a la 2015 or 16. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

I think the cap hit goes way down after next year for Garcon, right? Coyle could and should be gone too. ST Aces are overrated. just don't purge your whole team of them at once a la 2015 or 16. 

Yeah, after next year Garcon is gone for sure. Coyles contract was stupid from the start (this regime has given out a few of those)  and Lee does the same exact thing on an erfa tender (so like 600k). No reason to give couple 2m next season

One thing about our offense I have noticed is that Shanahan doesn't really game plan for one particular receiver to get featured on a weekly basis and prefers to spread it out. But I really think he needs to think about finding Kittle in more one on one situations and try to get him the ball more. He is by far and large our best offensive weapon. Time to treat him like one of the best TEs in the league and try to get him in favorable situations. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think the Cowboys give up on Dak though. Jerry will think it is due to the lack of weapons. Dak has played been playing better the last few games, but still misses on too many throws. 

Cowboys are really in cap hell. I think with ET it will come down to us, Dallas or KC. 

The edge market will be interesting. Nobody who would solve it, but paired with a first round edge? Oh yeah, I can dig it.  Ziggy should hit market. I'm not a fan, can't stay on the field, but as a complimentary piece on a reasonable deal? Him and Bosa coming from the edge on passing downs only? Dee Ford is having a really good season. If the chiefs being him back, they may not be able to go after Thomas or release Houston (he's getting worse, but again, situational? I'm good with that). Fowler. Clowney. Barr at Sam (he's been awful this year though), Brandon graham

I would love Graham, very good player and probably could be had for a reasonable price. Ford is making himself big money, but maybe teams look at his overall inconsistent play throughout his career and he doesn't get what he thinks he deserves and signs a short term deal? Clowney may be there to be had and I'd definitely have interest there, but he is looking for Donald/Mack money supposedly. So yeah not happening lol. 

Either way, this draft has so many talented edge and DL players. We need to double up on the edge with two of our first three or four picks being edge rushers. Then mix in a corner or whatever in the 2nd round. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'm ok giving Clowney a ton of money AND still doubling up. Eff it. 

But say if he gets around $20 million, I'm not sure if you can do that with giving Jimmy G what you are and then what Buckner will be getting in two years. If it was Mack? Sure, because he is THAT good and a complete game changer. Clowney to me is a very very good player but not sure you want to give that type of money to someone who is exactly elite. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But say if he gets around $20 million, I'm not sure if you can do that with giving Jimmy G what you are and then what Buckner will be getting in two years. If it was Mack? Sure, because he is THAT good and a complete game changer. Clowney to me is a very very good player but not sure you want to give that type of money to someone who is exactly elite. 

Also, for as good and disruptive as he is, he hasn't been a finisher with regards to tgetting to the quarterback. Has never hit double digits in sacks, only has a couple so far this year so it seems doubtful that he hits that mark this year. He's like the Buckner of outside pass rushers.

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I would just hope for Parag to work his magic. Because with Solomon being an abject disaster, we need to do something to turn this defensive line around. Buckner has been a one man army and that's going to take a mental and physical toll on him. Needs to be addressed asap. 

4 minutes ago, John232 said:

I would just hope for Parag to work his magic. Because with Solomon being an abject disaster, we need to do something to turn this defensive line around. Buckner has been a one man army and that's going to take a mental and physical toll on him. Needs to be addressed asap. 

Amazing how bad the whole Thomas thing has panned out. I know that a lot of us who follow the draft thought that he was going to take a minute and wasn't as natural of a pass rusher as he was being considered (a lot of which was based off a single game against UNC in which he crushed it), but man, he just hasn't grown at all in my opinion. That amazing skillset, his intelligence...and something is just not right. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Amazing how bad the whole Thomas thing has panned out. I know that a lot of us who follow the draft thought that he was going to take a minute and wasn't as natural of a pass rusher as he was being considered (a lot of which was based off a single game against UNC in which he crushed it), but man, he just hasn't grown at all in my opinion. That amazing skillset, his intelligence...and something is just not right. 

To be fair, the dude has pretty much had the worst two years of his life coinciding with the start of his career. I don't think we should cut him right now, he belongs on our team. But he's just not good and it hurts because we all want him to succeed so bad because he seems like a quality guy. 

Archived