Are We Reliving the 1999 Season?

dtait93

So far through the 2018 season, does anybody feel like it has shades of the 1999 season? Just a few similarities I’ve noticed that are eerily similar...

-Marcus has been nothing short of McNair-esque - injury riddled, high 1st round pick, being questioned if he’s “the” guy, doesn’t put up gaudy numbers but wins, etc.

-Our rivalry with the Jags is in full swing, and we have their number.

-We have a Heisman winning runningback in the backfield (no I’m not comparing him to Eddie).

-In 1999 and 2018 both teams started 3-1 with a win against Jacksonville in the first quarter of the season.

-This year the Rams have gone back to their yellow and blue uniforms - 1999 was the last season the Rams wore yellow and blue before they went to gold and blue in 2000.

-This years Rams are being touted as the Greatest Show on Turf (reborn).

-In 1999 the Tennessee Oilers became the Tennessee Titans and introduced a new uniform. Though we maintained our name, this years Titans also introduced a new uniform.

-In 1997 and 1998 the Tennessee Oilers put up back to back identical records of 8-8. In 2016 and 2017 the Titans also put up back to back identical records, this time though at 9-7.

This is weird....right?

Is Darius Jennings, Derrick Mason returning punts/kicks for TDs? :)

Would love to have that run back to the super bowl. :) 

I will say we had a run where who ever the NFC team came to our stadium and we beat went to the Super Bowl and not by much.

Eagles vs Titans again? Lol

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Is Darius Jennings, Derrick Mason returning punts/kicks for TDs? :)

Would love to have that run back to the super bowl. :) 

I will say we had a run where who ever the NFC team came to our stadium and we beat went to the Super Bowl and not by much.

Eagles vs Titans again? Lol

If Jennings becomes anything close to Mason I will cry.

Also, guess what position we drafted in the 1st round the year before 1999? I’ll give you a hint: It’s the same position we drafted in the 1st round before 2018.

49 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

If Jennings becomes anything close to Mason I will cry.

Also, guess what position we drafted in the 1st round the year before 1999? I’ll give you a hint: It’s the same position we drafted in the 1st round before 2018.

Yeah but I doubt that Evans is anything close to Kearse.

Landry maybe?  :)

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I may have worded that question confusingly. In 1998 we drafted Kevin Dyson in the 1st round, and in 2017 we drafted Corey Davis in the 1st round. 1999 was Dyson’s sophomore season just like 2018 is Davis’ sophomore season.

And omg their last names both start with D......it’s happening!!!!

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm assuming he means WR as we drafted Kevin Dyson in 98/the year before 99.

That being said, the 99 team wasn't really anything all that great. The defense was just kinda average(I think some people confuse the 99 defense with the 00 defense, which was one of the best defenses in NFL history) overall but tended to make big plays when we needed them(kinda like that 2011 Saints defense would be a good comparison I think), and while the offense was good, it wasn't elite/something you could expect to carry the team. It really didn't make any sense how we got to 13-3 that year. Buffalo probably was the better team, their defense was absolutely ridiculous that year under Wade Phillips and Ted Cottrell and I suspect if the Bills hadn't completely lost their minds and started Doug Flutie like they should have, they beat us in the wild card round.

Jeff Fisher said it in an interview, if he had just leaned on Eddie George all game long in the super bowl instead of asking Steve McNair to be Kurt Warner in the first half, we probably win that game. They had no real answer for Eddie. That team just willed itself to victories, even if it wasn't as good as most of the teams it beat. If we had won that super bowl I think overall it might have been one of the worse super bowl winners in history, but no one would have really gone back and thought that just based off the 13-3 regular season record.

Fisher doesn't get enough credit for the coaching job he did with that team, it's a shame the decision he made in the first half of the super bowl cost him a ring.

5 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

00 defense, which was one of the best defenses in NFL history

Our defense in 2000 is one of the most over-looked and underrated defenses of all time. Comparing them to the 2000 Ravens everyone knows about, we gave up less yards overall, gave up much less yards through the air, and only gave up 26 more points. We just weren’t able to force a lot of turnovers and they of course had an all-time great rushing defense.

Super Bowl is in Atlanta too....?.

Also fun fact that I didn't know until a few days ago. We all know Jevon Kearse finished with 14.5 sacks that year. Well, he only had 4.5 sacks at the halfway point of the season. So yep, he went on a major tear of 10 sacks in 8 games for the second half of that year.

Also I bought a house the year before we went to the SB....I bought a house last year!!!

I though about all of this last year after I bought my house, like a week later they were talking new uniforms...then something else in my personal life happened that happened back then and I told my wife...we are winning this year!!!!

15 minutes ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

Also I bought a house the year before we went to the SB....I bought a house last year!!!

I though about all of this last year after I bought my house, like a week later they were talking new uniforms...then something else in my personal life happened that happened back then and I told my wife...we are winning this year!!!!

Titans representing the AFC in Super Bowl LIII confirmed.

6 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Super Bowl is in Atlanta too....?.

Also fun fact that I didn't know until a few days ago. We all know Jevon Kearse finished with 14.5 sacks that year. Well, he only had 4.5 sacks at the halfway point of the season. So yep, he went on a major tear of 10 sacks in 8 games for the second half of that year.

Atlanta is the sealer. :)

Keeping this dream alive...

A 3-0 Titans team lost to a then 1-2 San Francisco team that ended up 4-12 that year by 2 points after failing to convert an 2 point conversion to tie the game. 

They rebounded to beat the Baltimore Ravens 14-11 at home to improve to 4-1.

Archived