Way, way to early 2019 Mock draft.

jleisher

Yes, I know it's way to early, but I was bored and wanted to play on fanspeak.com.  I focused on Edge, OL and filled in with want I thought would be good.  Here's what I ended up with.

1. #22 (NE called, offered 2# 57, 3#'s 85,99 and 102)  I took it.  NE drafted QB Drew Lock.)

1. #29.  Josh Allen  Edge  Kentucky

2. #54.  Rodney Anderson  RB  Oklahoma  (Not really needed, but Montgomery is FA I believe?)

2. # 57.  Chase Winovich  Edge  Michigan

3. #75.  Connor McGovern  C-G  Penn St.  (Thinking RG?)

3. #85.  David Edwards  T  WI  (RT)

3. #99.  Porter Gustin  Edge  USC

3. #102.  Tyler Bladaz  C-G  WI  (Back up C, swing G)

4. #124.  Deionte Thompson  S  Alabama

5. #162.  Ahmmon Richards  WR  Miami

6. #183.  Tyree Kinnel  S  Michigan

6. #196.  Olive Sagapolu  DL  WI

7. #238.  Nic Weishar  TE  Notre Dame  (I think they resign Lewis and or Kendricks.) 

Kinda dreamin there with the NE deal, but.....it'd be a good way for Belichick to screw over the Patriots before walking out the door...

As the boards stand right now, I don't think Edwards is on the board at 85. He IS, however, a possible pick at 75 if the right pieces fall into place. Don't like the Anderson pick, but only because we can plug Day 3 picks behind that OL and they'll have just about as much success as a Day 2 guy. I think we'd package up picks to move up in the 2nd if we've got picks 54 and 57. I could see us taking 57 and 99 and moving to a pick between picks 35-40. Also, we'd go DL much earlier than the 6th.

This year sets up perfectly for us IMO. Stand pat and take an Edge and OT - and don't lose 5th year options at these premium positions by moving down. Then I take a safety in round 2 if there is one worthy, regardless if HHCD is back or not.

I'm not seeing an RB that high. OT needs to be a higher priority - much higher

In a year where we could possibly get a couple difference makers you chose to trade down and get a bunch of backups.

Would rather see us trade up for Ferrell. Both 22 + 29 could get us up to about 8th.  Even if we stay put we need DL/Edge, not a RB.

45 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

In a year where we could possibly get a couple difference makers you chose to trade down and get a bunch of backups.

Would rather see us trade up for Ferrell. Both 22 + 29 could get us up to about 8th.  Even if we stay put we need DL/Edge, not a RB.

Long way to go, and a lot can happen between now and then, but as exciting as trading up can be, no way I pass on the chance to grab 2 first rounders at premium positions in a draft where both positions are very deep. 

We can get an Edge AND an OT in the 20's next year that are better than any guy drafted at those positions outside the top 5 last year. Think about that for a second. That's pretty damn exciting

51 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Long way to go, and a lot can happen between now and then, but as exciting as trading up can be, no way I pass on the chance to grab 2 first rounders at premium positions in a draft where both positions are very deep. 

We can get an Edge AND an OT in the 20's next year that are better than any guy drafted at those positions outside the top 5 last year. Think about that for a second. That's pretty damn exciting

That would be nice except I don't like the idea of drafting a RT in the first round.  Doesn't seem to fit the 'value' of the pick.

16 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

That would be nice except I don't like the idea of drafting a RT in the first round.  Doesn't seem to fit the 'value' of the pick.

I hear you, and I don't pick a RTO with the pick. What's the status of Bahk 5 years from now ? That's my thinking. We have also been very lucky with regard to his health. Also I think there is very little difference in the importance between LT and RT these days. It's a passing league and the defense will find your weakness. Blind side or not

12 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I hear you, and I don't pick a RTO with the pick. What's the status of Bahk 5 years from now ? That's my thinking. We have also been very lucky with regard to his health. Also I think there is very little difference in the importance between LT and RT these days. It's a passing league and the defense will find your weakness. Blind side or not

I think that is a good point.  We got Bulaga in the 20's with a first round pick, and that has turned out to be a great pick, especially since he tied down the position as a rookie for a superbowl win.  Need to protect the franchise QB.

9 hours ago, cannondale said:

This year sets up perfectly for us IMO. Stand pat and take an Edge and OT - and don't lose 5th year options at these premium positions by moving down. Then I take a safety in round 2 if there is one worthy, regardless if HHCD is back or not.

I'm not seeing an RB that high. OT needs to be a higher priority - much higher

I'd be tempted to go a similar path, Edge first, then S and OT, either way round.

12 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I think that is a good point.  We got Bulaga in the 20's with a first round pick, and that has turned out to be a great pick, especially since he tied down the position as a rookie for a superbowl win.  Need to protect the franchise QB.

But.....Bulaga was drafted to take over when Clifton left. He only went to RT because of injury.  I know this isn't popular here, but I still think Spriggs is going to be fine.  Maybe move Bulaga inside to RG. Then spend another midround pick on a OT to groom.

4 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

But.....Bulaga was drafted to take over when Clifton left. He only went to RT because of injury.  I know this isn't popular here, but I still think Spriggs is going to be fine.  Maybe move Bulaga inside to RG. Then spend another midround pick on a OT to groom.

I've always argued that as good as Bulaga has been as an OT, he would've been even better as an OG. 

8 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

I would argue that Bulaga was best value on the board at the time.  I think one of Ted's issues over the years was getting away from best value and going for need.  

I am fine with your plan if the light goes on for Spriggs.   I just feel like that is still in doubt, and we should have a back up plan.  So maybe you are right and another mid round pick could turn into another Bakhtiari.

On 10/5/2018 at 6:42 AM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I would argue that Bulaga was best value on the board at the time.  I think one of Ted's issues over the years was getting away from best value and going for need.  

I am fine with your plan if the light goes on for Spriggs.   I just feel like that is still in doubt, and we should have a back up plan.  So maybe you are right and another mid round pick could turn into another Bakhtiari.

I have a feeling we're going to miss the hell out of Bulaga once he's gone.

I'd agree on the value vs. need assessment for Ted.  I think he tried to marry the two and ended up getting lesser players.

Archived