Latest Broncos rumors.

Wolzen

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

La Canfora has absolutely no sources in Denver. He's done nothing but slate Elway for the past 5 years; he's just speculating. Sure, teams might be calling, but it will take a huge offer for us to get rid of a player of Harris' ability on a contract that cheap.

Klis is saying that DT and Brandon Marshall are available for trade and both of these make total sense. Most of us have said these two will be cut in the Summer, so why not trade them?

Rapoport is saying that teams were hoping we'd get beat by Arizona so that Bradley Roby would be available. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get traded either. Barring a massive turnaround in the 2nd half of the season, he's not going to get a big deal from us.

You can add Legwold to the "DT" list.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25041161/denver-broncos-listening-trade-offers-star-wr-demaryius-thomas

IMO it won't take much for us to trade him. Next year he counts $17 mil against the cap with $3.5 mil in dead cap. He's been a good Bronco but it's a business and he's not worth retaining next year.

Apparently Sanders isn't on the "block".

I know it sucks to trade a guy who's done so much for us, but it's a business. There isn't a (well run) team in the NFL that wouldn't do the same thing. The main issue will be if we don't trade DT and he's stuck on the team for the rest of the year. Regardless of how good of a pro you are, that is going to have an affect on your morale.

I could see a team offering a really low pick for DT as basically a 8 game rental. It would have to be a playoff team; Carolina perhaps?

I don't see a team giving up anything for Marshall. He carries a dead cap that frankly, isn't worth the production you would get from him even as a rental.

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I know it sucks to trade a guy who's done so much for us, but it's a business. There isn't a (well run) team in the NFL that wouldn't do the same thing. The main issue will be if we don't trade DT and he's stuck on the team for the rest of the year. Regardless of how good of a pro you are, that is going to have an affect on your morale.

I could see a team offering a really low pick for DT as basically a 8 game rental. It would have to be a playoff team; Carolina perhaps?

I don't see a team giving up anything for Marshall. He carries a dead cap that frankly, isn't worth the production you would get from him even as a rental.

Both Thomas and Marshall are on the decline.  Considering Denver’s current state, moving them and gaining some cap space is a move that’s a no brainer.

I don’t think anyone can argue it makes total sense to trade either DT and/or Marshall for salary cap relief alone.  

The bigger problem is because both are expensive and in Marshall’s case his level of play isn’t that good if anyone will even bother buying.  

DT’s challenge is going to a new O it takes time to incorporate a playbook so the gain is so limited for a buyer than if they acquire a WR in the offseason (or even in early September like the Pats did with Josh Gordon).  

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

DT’s challenge is going to a new O it takes time to incorporate a playbook so the gain is so limited for a buyer than if they acquire a WR in the offseason (or even in early September like the Pats did with Josh Gordon).  

This is certainly true. You could argue that he's been in the league long enough to know the vast majority of play concepts. However, you could also argue that he won't have any legup with the verbage of the plays, and he doesn't have the physical ability at this point in his career to just go out and make plays on a limited playbook like Josh Gordon can do.

45 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This is certainly true. You could argue that he's been in the league long enough to know the vast majority of play concepts. However, you could also argue that he won't have any legup with the verbage of the plays, and he doesn't have the physical ability at this point in his career to just go out and make plays on a limited playbook like Josh Gordon can do.

Yeah JG can just be told “go here and beat your guy / get the ball”.  DT used to be that guy but no more.  He wins by precise routes and body positioning / box out ability and hand position (when those crazy drops don’t occur).   So being comfortable with the O scheme / terminology in the playbook matters a lot.  

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah JG can just be told “go here and beat your guy / get the ball”.  DT used to be that guy but no more.  He wins by precise routes and body positioning / box out ability and hand position (when those crazy drops don’t occur).   So being comfortable with the O scheme / terminology in the playbook matters a lot.  

I'd like to see him go to a contender...just not sure who that would.  Does DT make the Dolphins in a Gase offense a contender?  Or at least a playoff contender?  

2 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I'd like to see him go to a contender...just not sure who that would.  Does DT make the Dolphins in a Gase offense a contender?  Or at least a playoff contender?  

I could be wrong but don't Gase and Elway not like each other?

1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

I could be wrong but don't Gase and Elway not like each other?

You mean when Gase ran up the score last year, and said it was for past history?  Yeah, they don't care much for each other.    I don't think DT fits Gase's scheme, he's got all these gadget YAC guys and speed guys there now, Amendola is the possession guy.  They lost 2 WR's in Albert Wilson (probably for RoS) and Stills (probably no long), but DT doesn't really replace their skill set.   I think they'll stand pat with Devante Parker available to activate, and Stills likely back soon.

DAL (who would prefer Amari Cooper, but there's a significant price gap) seems like a more logical destination.   The issue, is, of course, $.   If we're stuck with the cap hit anyways next year, we should definitely considering converting some of the remaining salary to a bonus, eat the $, and get a better pick if the $ limits the teams bidding for him.  If someone wants to take the rest of the 8.5M contract (with 7 games done, that's roughly 4.8M) off our hands for a 5th, we should do it.     More likely, it's a case of specific teams looking to shore up WR, but only at the right price / pick cost.   The other destination is BAL - Crabtree & Snead don't really offer much (now, you can argue DT doesnt' do much differently either, I'd just say he does it better).   John Brown is literally their entire WR offence (I think he leads the league in air yards targets...even ahead of guys like AB and Julio).

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You mean when Gase ran up the score last year, and said it was for past history?  Yeah, they don't care much for each other.    I don't think DT fits Gase's scheme, he's got all these gadget YAC guys and speed guys there now, Amendola is the possession guy.  They lost 2 WR's in Albert Wilson (probably for RoS) and Stills (probably no long), but DT doesn't really replace their skill set.   I think they'll stand pat with Devante Parker available to activate, and Stills likely back soon.

DAL (who would prefer Amari Cooper, but there's a significant price gap) seems like a more logical destination.   The issue, is, of course, $.   If we're stuck with the cap hit anyways next year, we should definitely considering converting some of the remaining salary to a bonus, eat the $, and get a better pick if the $ limits the teams bidding for him.  If someone wants to take the rest of the 8.5M contract (with 7 games done, that's roughly 4.8M) off our hands for a 5th, we should do it.     More likely, it's a case of specific teams looking to shore up WR, but only at the right price / pick cost.   The other destination is BAL - Crabtree & Snead don't really offer much (now, you can argue DT doesnt' do much differently either, I'd just say he does it better).   John Brown is literally their entire WR offence (I think he leads the league in air yards targets...even ahead of guys like AB and Julio).

Dallas would be an ironic landing spot, have been having the Demaryius vs. Dez debate for the better part of a decade with some friends who are fans of the Cowboys.

37 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

Dallas would be an ironic landing spot, have been having the Demaryius vs. Dez debate for the better part of a decade with some friends who are fans of the Cowboys.

Well I think we can scratch DAL off the list.  I like Cooper a lot - but man, that's a big price to pay, for a guy that's only under control for the 5th year option (12M/1).

BAL or bust I think.

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Honestly...I think I'd rather get a draft pick. 

What's Parker's deal, though? Really liked him coming out of Louisville. 

I’d rather get a pick too but if he is really disgruntled they may want to move him and Gase is familiar with DT obviously. 

Archived