Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

I need this to stay sane since my team's season ended in KC. I do think this might be an interesting experiment to gauge what people remember about certain contests, how they were played at the time (if you watched games then), or if you aren't familiar then it might be interesting to take a little time out of your day, and see what entailed in a random classic of yesteryear. I'm probably mostly going to post games that are cut down to main highlights from the broadcast tape (not NFL Films pieces), just so people have more incentive to actually watch them. I know there are some full ones on YouTube. Or maybe I'll just post pictures of certain games instead. 

Edited by PapaShogun

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Is that the BBs 4th down all or nothing call?  I remember a lil bit of that.

Yeah, that's the game. I'm still not sure if it was the right call. The Colts were driving down the Patriots throat in the second half, and it seemed like they couldn't stop them at all. So I could kind of see the rationale of Bill just thinking his defense didn't have it that night. So he was going to put the game in the hands of his offense. Just didn't pay off. 

This is the opening weekend game from the 2001 season between the Eagles and Rams in Philly. Two days before 9/11 happened. 

The game itself was pretty good, and became an NFC Championship preview. The Rams were in the final year of their three year dominant stretch, and the Eagles were just starting their run of being a top dog in the NFC. This just seemed like a game that had a good amount of offense and defense. It's amazing to me to see Martz' offense back then, and how guys were just getting wide open against Jim Johnson's defense. 

• Like 3

Guess it's harder to find just cut up highlight games than I initially thought. Anyways, I had to post a 49ers game sooner rather than later of course.

This was from 2002, week 9 when my boys went across the bay into Oakland. Probably the most disturbing game I remember seeing between both squads. Both teams were coming off playoff campaigns from the year before, and expectations were high for this season. So the fans were like savage animals. No way would I have gone to this game in person. You can hear some disturbing audio from the crowd that mics pick up if you watch this game. Especially around the 3:15: 00. Might want to muff your ears there. I don't think it will be as bad when they both meet again this year, but back then it was pretty nasty. 

I remember this game particularly well, because Jose Cortez missed a kick in overtime to seal the win for the 49ers. He got a another chance, but overall his lackluster ability as a PK was very glaring in this game. Owens also had leg cramps, but still played like a boss. Both teams would go on to make the playoffs, but both would get crushed by the Buccaneers. 

Last time the "battle of the bay" will be this year. Since the Raiders are about to cut out. 

• Like 3

Last one I'll post for a while. This is the 2002 Week 13 game between the Falcons and Vikings in Minnesota. If there was one game to showcase what Mike Vick was capable of doing, this is the one. Just skip ahead to the 15:00 mark if you already know what I'm talking about. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

This is the opening weekend game from the 2001 season between the Eagles and Rams in Philly. Two days before 9/11 happened. 

The game itself was pretty good, and became an NFC Championship preview. The Rams were in the final year of their three year dominant stretch, and the Eagles were just starting their run of being a top dog in the NFC. This just seemed like a game that had a good amount of offense and defense. It's amazing to me to see Martz' offense back then, and how guys were just getting wide open against Jim Johnson's defense. 

A lot of nostalgia watching this lol. The Vet was such a dump. Hilarious to see McNabb throwing worm balls to the trash we had at receiver back then

Can’t dent that those Jim Johnson defenses were nasty though. The Eagles were legitimately the best team in the NFC for four to five years, good times 

• Like 2

This was a gem. The day Corey Dillon broke the single game rushing record with 278 rushing yards. Walter Payton had the previous record at 275 yards. It's been broken twice since then by Jamal Lewis (295), and Adrian Peterson (296). However, Dillon had over 12 yards a carry, which I think is still the highest average for the highest yardage. Bengals would only win 4 games in 2000. This was one of them, and the only one against a team with a winning record.

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

The comeback - otherwise known as the game where I realized I'll never be happy as a football fan:

All things considered, it was a fantastic game - there were some HUGE missed calls (Beebe stepping out of bounds on his TD catch, Darryl Talley blatantly tackling Ernest Givens on the Warren Moon INT in overtime) but it was an exciting 2nd half of football nonetheless.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The comeback - otherwise known as the game where I realized I'll never be happy as a football fan:

All things considered, it was a fantastic game - there were some HUGE missed calls (Beebe stepping out of bounds on his TD catch, Darryl Talley blatantly tackling Ernest Givens on the Warren Moon INT in overtime) but it was an exciting 2nd half of football nonetheless.

You're a Houston fan? Perhaps you took a little solace in the Music City Miracle 7 years later? Or did you detach yourself from the team since they were in Tennessee at that point? 

• Like 2

This was a week 5 Monday night showdown between the Titans and Packers in 2004. Both teams were 1-3 at the time. I remember really looking forward to this game since it was an inter-conference matchup with McNair the reigning MVP against Favre, the master. I wasn't sure who was going to win, but I was overjoyed with the Titans walking into Lambeau, and stomping all over the Pack. Speaking as a bitter 49ers fan from the 90's of course. Titans would only win 5 games though, and Packers actually rebounded to make the playoffs finishing 10-6. 

Chris Brown had a monster game. I vividly remember Al Michaels saying "Is Grady Jackson that important"? He was a huge space eater for the Packers on the defensive line, but he was injured so he didn't play. After this game I thought Chris Brown would be the true heir to Eddie George. Nope. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 3