Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

56 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

check out those eyes...Roger Craig with Harris Barton leading the way in a 1987 match up with the Oilers

GettyImages-76236712-1024x689.jpg

Those are the Patriots. If Barton is on the team (who was drafted in 1988) then this is the home game against the Patriots in 1989. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

1998 Week 16 Tennessee Oilers (8-6) at Green Bay Packers (9-5)

Sunday Dec 20, 1998
Start Time: 1:00pm
Stadium: Lambeau Field
Attendance: 59,888

I know this version of the game looks like an impressionist painting, but this is a rare gem that finally found it's way on YouTube a few months ago. It's the first of three meetings between Favre and McNair, the Mississippi boys. The others would be in 2001, and 2004. In this game the Oilers were still in playoff contention, but essentially had to win out on the road against the Packers, and at "home" against Minnesota. They couldn't, and would fall to 8-8 for the third straight year. The Packers weren't as strong as they were in 1996, and 1997, but still one of the top dogs in the NFL. This was Reggie White and Mike Holmgren's last home game at Lambeau. As for what happened this day, the Packers largely maintain control. Tennessee cuts a 24-7 deficit down to 14-24 in the third, but that's basically as close as they'd get. If you want the short NFL Primetime version, I've posted that below.

• Like 1

1990 Week 6 New York Giants (4-0) at Washington Redskins (3-1)

Sunday Oct 14, 1990
Start Time: 4:00pm
Stadium: Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium

Classic NFC East matchup between the Redskins and Giants early in the season at RFK Stadium. Stan Humphries is starting in place of Mark Rypien. Stan was largely abysmal in relief duty for Rypien in 1990, and this game showcases that. Still, the Redskins are able to keep things close with the Giants most of the game. This was a close one that went down to the wire late. Second half was a lot more entertaining. Schedule makers screwed up, because these two teams played just two weeks later. A big matchup like this should have been spaced out more in my opinion. 

Edited by PapaShogun

2012 Week 5 San Diego Chargers (3-1) at New Orleans Saints (0-4)

Sunday Oct 7, 2012
Start Time: 8:31pm
Stadium: Mercedes-Benz Superdome
Attendance: 73,109
Time of Game: 3:07

Rivers versus Brees. Norv Turner versus Aaron Kromer??? For those who forgot, this game was in the aftermath of Bountygate. Saints came into the game in desperate need of a win. Brees was on the verge of breaking Johnny Unitas' record of throwing a TD pass in 47 consecutive games. Nice back-and-forth that goes down to the wire. 

• Like 2

1987 Week 1 New York Giants (0-0) at Chicago Bears (0-0)

Monday Sep 14, 1987
Start Time: 9:00pm
Stadium: Soldier Field

Great season opening matchup for 1987 on MNF. The previous two Super Bowl champions (Bears in 1985, Giants in 1986) squared off for the first time since meeting in the 1985 NFC divisional round. This was a game that was predicted to be a low scoring affair, but that wasn't the case. A lot of star power with Ditka, Parcells, Belichick, Payton, Taylor, etc. Personally as far as season opening matchups on MNF go, it's one of the better ones. 

Edited by PapaShogun

1994 Week 5 Houston Oilers (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2)

Monday Oct 3, 1994
Stadium: Three Rivers Stadium
Attendance: 57,274

The Oilers limp into Pittsburgh for a Monday night showdown against their division rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers. The country got to see how pathetic the Oilers were since trading Warren Moon to Minnesota the previous offseason. This game was essentially over by the start of the 2nd quarter when the Steelers had already built up a 20-0 lead. Even when the bleeding had slowed down after that, Houston could not muster much of anything all night until the waning minutes of the 4th. Even with most of their roster intact from the previous year when they finished 11-5, the Oilers went into a tailspin without it's offensive maestro. Career backup Cody Carlson was inserted as the starter, but was clearly not an adequate replacement. 1994 would be his last season in the NFL. After having only one win in the first ten game, head coach Jack Pardee was fired, and defensive coordinator Jeff Fisher took over to finish 1-5. The ten-game swing the Oilers experienced from one season to the next is the worst season-to-season drop in games won in NFL history, which would later be tied by the 2013 Houston Texans. Before the 1994 collapse, the Oilers had made the playoffs seven straight seasons. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

2006 Week 8 Dallas Cowboys (3-3) at Carolina Panthers (4-3)

Sunday Oct 29, 2006
Start Time: 8:20pm
Stadium: Bank of America Stadium
Attendance: 73,682
Time of Game: 3:14

Tony Romo's first NFL start. He had come in the previous Monday following a halftime benching of Drew Bledsoe by head coach Bill Parcells. Romo plays fairly well here after the Cowboys fall into an early 14 point deficit. Dallas would go on to score 35 unanswered points behind Romo. The Panthers really imploded in the second half, and had a nightmare of a 4th quarter turning the ball over 3 times. Dallas of course finished 6-4 under Romo sneaking into the playoffs. I remember at the time the Romo mania that was following in the ensuing weeks. The Brett Favre comparisons especially. NFL Network I think even had a mini TV special dedicated to him before the playoffs started or whatever. It was nutty. 

Edited by PapaShogun

On 10/20/2018 at 10:03 PM, PapaShogun said:

1985 Week 14 Indianapolis Colts (3-10) at Chicago Bears (12-1).

This was a game that on paper looked like the makings of a blowout. Instead it was pretty close. The Colts had built a reputation of being a perennial doormat in recent years. They had lost five straight coming into this game under new head coach Rod Dowhower. They were 19.5 point dogs on the road against Mike Ditka's Bears, who were coming off their only loss of the season in Miami on MNF. Despite the insurmountable odds, the Colts give the Bears a tough fight in the 4th quarter, and only lose by a touchdown 17-10. Not a bad effort considering the circumstances. 

The only reason the Bears didn't win that game by 50 points was that serious "we lost our first game" hangover from that previous Monday night game. It was probably the most lifeless game the Bears played all season. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

1979 Week 8 San DIego Chargers (5-2) at Los Angeles Rams (4-3)

Sunday Oct 21, 1979
Start Time: 4:00pm
Stadium: Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

This is a good example of the differences between today and yesteryear regarding the types of hits quarterbacks took that were deemed to be acceptable. Rams QB Pat Haden had a brutal afternoon as he was under duress by the Chargers pass rush. In particular Fred Dean on the left edge was a nightmare. Haden was sacked 3 times, and even when he did get his passes off a lot of them were spotty resulting in 3 interceptions. A couple of times Haden looked almost dead on the ground. All in all, the Rams offense was pretty much squashed by San Diego's defense. Their offense soared with Dan Fouts throwing for over 300 yards for the third straight week. This game was probably the hallmark of the Chargers season as they put up the most points all year. The Rams were up and down at QB all year long, having pretty dismal results. Despite this, they did make it all the way to the Super Bowl with their 9-7 record. San Diego meanwhile, finished 12-4, but were defeated by the ailing Houston Oilers at home in one of the most shocking upsets in NFL history. 

On 5/18/2020 at 8:34 AM, PapaShogun said:

1987 Week 1 New York Giants (0-0) at Chicago Bears (0-0)

Monday Sep 14, 1987
Stadium: Soldier Field

Great season opening matchup for 1987 on MNF. The previous two Super Bowl champions (Bears in 1985, Giants in 1986) squared off for the first time since meeting in the 1985 NFC divisional round. This was a game that was predicted to be a low scoring affair, but that wasn't the case. A lot of star power with Ditka, Parcells, Belichick, Payton, Taylor, etc. Personally as far as season opening matchups on MNF go, it's one of the better ones. 

Don't remind me. The 1987 Bears were well on their way that year...UNTIL the strike. Any chance the Bears had was destroyed by Mike Ditka, the team went from being totally dedicated to winning it all to going through the motions after the strike ended. In 6 of their last 10 games they gave up 20 or more points, lost only 3 mainly because they feasted on a weak NFC Central, the good teams like Frisco, Seattle and Denver beat them with Frisco slaughtering the Bears 41-0 and Seattle beating the Bears on Payton's last game. All the joy I had entering that season and seeing the woodshed job the Bears put on the Giants on this MNF game was all for naught. Ditka called the scab Bears "the real Bears", made several other idiotic comments and effectively eradicated any chemistry that team had. The playoff game was mind numbing, both defenses pretty much dominated, but the Punky QB played like he was wearing burgundy and Darrell Green returned a punt to win the game in the third quarter as Chicago offense spent the entire 2nd half sputtering like a broken down jalopy. Bears D pretty much did all it could, Deadskins didn't even have 3 yards per carry, but to lose to Jay freaking Schroeder? Hell as mediocre as he was in that game, compared to McMahon he looked like Montana.  

Ditka (and Jim McMahon) screwed up the 86 team with how they both handled Doug Flutie. McMahon divided the lockerroom and that season pretty  much went to ****. The way the coaches like Walsh, Gibbs, Shula, Lombardi, Landry did it was if you were not part of the program you were history. NO ONE divided lockerrooms for those coaches and they won BIG. Ditka, I love him as a guy, but he has always been a fraud as a head coach. I think a small assist can goto Mike McCaskey for allowing Wilber Marshall to leave Chicago. Fitting he helps the Redskins beat the Bears twice. BRILLIANT!!! 

By 1988 the Bears started to look old before their time. They won the Fog Bowl, then got dismantled by Frisco in the NFC Title game and the 1980s run was over. If you have a chance, you better strike, because it doesn't come around often. The 1980s Bears could have been a dynasty. Oh well. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

OK-so in another Covid-19 play I just watched the entire 1962 AFL Title game between the Dallas Texans (soon to be KC Chiefs) and Houston Oilers. YesI have no life right now. Thoughts.

-It was a great damn game. 

-Before kicking the game winning field goal, the KICKING team called the timeout, "icing the kicker" wasn't a thing I guess

-Len Dawson snapped the ball with maybe 2 seconds on the clock before the 2nd OT. Didn't he get the memo you just let the clock run out? 

-Post game was like 8 minutes. Basically, "you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here". 

NO, neither of these teams would have stood a chance against the 1962 Packers, but they were still damn good teams, and the game was great to watch. There was a ton of talent on the field. I knew little of receiver Charlie Hennigan and in that game he made some huge catches. I looked his numbers up and in 1961 he had over 1700 yards receiving, that's insane. Jerry Mays, who was an icon on the great Chiefs teams of the 60s was in this game, playing great. Len Dawson didn't throw a ton, but when he did he was instinctive as a football player, smart and a great leader, I can see why he's a Hall of Famer. He makes a Bret Favre like play late in the game that the receiver unfortunately just drops.

I am an old NFL guy, Colts then (after the Colts leave) Bears, but I really appreciate the AFL and the 1962 game is worth a watch to see that league in its infancy. The teams as I said would not have handled the Packers, but really...who could? The game was a fantastic football game.  

Edited by kwolf68

On 5/15/2020 at 4:17 AM, PapaShogun said:

1998 Week 16 Tennessee Oilers (8-6) at Green Bay Packers (9-5)

Antonio Freeman went haaaard that game! Probably won a few owners their fantasy football championships. 9 catches, 186 yards, 3 TDs, he was on fire. It's easy to forget at this point, but Freeman flashed BIG for a few years though in Favre's prime, such a fun guy to watch. He had over 1,400 receiving yards and 14 TDs, and that's in 15 games. Hell, I bet NOBODY would guess that the league leader in receiving yards that year wasn't Cris Carter, Randy Moss, or Jerry Rice, it was Antonio Freeman, haha.

6 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Don't remind me. The 1987 Bears were well on their way that year...UNTIL the strike. Any chance the Bears had was destroyed by Mike Ditka, the team went from being totally dedicated to winning it all to going through the motions after the strike ended. In 6 of their last 10 games they gave up 20 or more points, lost only 3 mainly because they feasted on a weak NFC Central, the good teams like Frisco, Seattle and Denver beat them with Frisco slaughtering the Bears 41-0 and Seattle beating the Bears on Payton's last game. All the joy I had entering that season and seeing the woodshed job the Bears put on the Giants on this MNF game was all for naught. Ditka called the scab Bears "the real Bears", made several other idiotic comments and effectively eradicated any chemistry that team had. The playoff game was mind numbing, both defenses pretty much dominated, but the Punky QB played like he was wearing burgundy and Darrell Green returned a punt to win the game in the third quarter as Chicago offense spent the entire 2nd half sputtering like a broken down jalopy. Bears D pretty much did all it could, Deadskins didn't even have 3 yards per carry, but to lose to Jay freaking Schroeder? Hell as mediocre as he was in that game, compared to McMahon he looked like Montana.  

Ditka (and Jim McMahon) screwed up the 86 team with how they both handled Doug Flutie. McMahon divided the lockerroom and that season pretty  much went to ****. The way the coaches like Walsh, Gibbs, Shula, Lombardi, Landry did it was if you were not part of the program you were history. NO ONE divided lockerrooms for those coaches and they won BIG. Ditka, I love him as a guy, but he has always been a fraud as a head coach. I think a small assist can goto Mike McCaskey for allowing Wilber Marshall to leave Chicago. Fitting he helps the Redskins beat the Bears twice. BRILLIANT!!! 

By 1988 the Bears started to look old before their time. They won the Fog Bowl, then got dismantled by Frisco in the NFC Title game and the 1980s run was over. If you have a chance, you better strike, because it doesn't come around often. The 1980s Bears could have been a dynasty. Oh well. 

I know Ditka got the Bears their only Super Bowl, but I've felt he was overrated. Just seemed really more of a "rah rah" guy that relied more on motivation. His tenure in New Orleans was just atrocious. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2