Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

On 6/6/2020 at 11:24 PM, PapaShogun said:

I watched the condensed version of that game a couple of times. It's on YouTube. The play he's talking about is at the 8:36 mark. I've embedded it for you at that spot. 

I still remember that play like it was yesterday. It may have been the pivotal play of Denver's season. If they give up a TD there, they go down 21-0, and I don't think they win that game. There also is a chance that they don't have as good of a run in the second half of the season, which would have probably cost them a playoff spot. Maybe the Browns would have made it that year.

1981 AFC Divisional San Diego Chargers (10-6) at Miami Dolphins (11-4-1)

Saturday Jan 2, 1982

Start Time: 5:00pm

Stadium: Orange Bowl

This game should be required viewing for every football fan. This is arguably a top ten game ever with the amount of excitement and scoring that occurred that day. Watching the entire thing, it's remarkable how well the Chargers offensive line protected Fouts even though by the end of the game they had to have been dog-tired. This was probably Fouts' best performance in the playoffs, and for the Dolphins probably Don Strock's best game ever. David Woodley was pulled not too long after the game started, and Strock just went off. Kellen Winslow, Charlie Joiner, and Wes Chandler all had huge plays, and all three were corpses by the end. As far as offense goes, I'm not sure what more you could ask for in a football game. Chandler even had a punt return TD. If I wanted to introduce someone to the game of football to get them excited, I'd be hard pressed not to select this game. The only drawback is that defense on both sides took an off-day. Still, there were some exciting defensive plays made. It's no wonder that after moving on from this game which was played deep into overtime with the blistering Miami blaze (84 degrees), the Chargers fell flat playing in the Freezer Bowl in Cincinnati (-59 degrees). Bengals were a better team that year anyway though. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2007 NFC Championship New York Giants (12-6) at Green Bay Packers (14-3)

Sunday Jan 20, 2008

Start Time: 6:42pm

Stadium: Lambeau Field

Attendance: 72,740

It's funny the things you forget about a game until you do a rewatch. I had no memory of Plaxico Burress completely dominating Al Harris on the field. Or that long Donald Driver touchdown. The two memories of this game for me was the Favre interception to Corey Webster, and Lawrence Tynes needing 3 field goal attempts to send the Giants to the Super Bowl. Anyway, this was a pretty good game overall to go back and visit. Even though it was two teams that I pretty much hate because of their history with the 49ers, it was a fun experience as a spectator back then, and now. I'm wondering if the Packers did win this game how would they have fared against the Patriots. New England wasn't as dominant as they were in the first half of the season, but I still think they'd beat the Packers pretty easily. We'll never know though. 

1980 AFC Divisional Playoff Oakland Raiders (12-5) at Cleveland Browns (11-5)

Sunday Jan 4, 1981
Start Time: 12:30pm
Stadium: Cleveland Municipal Stadium

What people seem to know of this game is just the "Red Right 88" play due to NFL Films. But if you actually watch the game, it's probably one of the more lackluster games you'll have the pleasure of viewing. Both teams played pretty awful, especially on offense. The Browns in particular had two missed field goals along with another botched field goal attempt. MVP QB Brian Sipe was off the mark all afternoon, and tossed 3 interceptions while going 13/40. Raiders QB Jim Plunkett had two interceptions, including a pick six on an out-route, along with a fumble. The weather conditions were bad due to the cold/snow, but still, it was just ugly. The Freezer Bowl was a better game the very next year in Cincinnati, and those were worse conditions. The older I get, the more and more I think that playing all games indoors wouldn't be the worst idea ever. I'll just say the positive side is that you are less likely to see athletes not perform at optimum level due to weather conditions. At the same time, the weather being a wildcard factor for certain teams is a pretty cool aspect that isn't seen in other sports. The Browns got to the playoffs because of their pass attack, and when that was shut down due to mother nature they completely went into the toilet. At least Don Criqui was the play by play here with John Brodie on color who wasn't bad. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Super Bowl XLV Green Bay Packers (13-6) vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (14-4)

Sunday Feb 6, 2011
Start Time: 6:34pm
Stadium: Cowboys Stadium
Attendance: 103,219
Time of Game: 3:32

I was excited to rewatch this game despite seeing the Packers win the Super Bowl again. It had been a while since I saw prime Rodgers be a sky maestro, and this didn't disappoint. I feel like this Super Bowl isn't talked about or remembered enough. And I'm not sure why. Two legendary franchises that both had top ten units on each side of the ball, along with two HOF quarterbacks duking it out in a close game. Even after falling down 21-3, the Steelers roared back. The Packers defense clamping down on that final drive was pretty remarkable I have to say. About as remarkable as the Packers offense being undaunted by the Steelers defense. Anyway, I would probably put this in my top 5 Super Bowls that I've seen (I still have to finish a few more). It reminded me a lot of Super Bowl 32. 

• 2 weeks later...

1997 AFC Divisional Playoff Denver Broncos (13-4) at Kansas City Chiefs (13-3)

Sunday Jan 4, 1998
Start Time: 4:00pm
Stadium: Arrowhead Stadium
Attendance: 76,965

I love playoff games between divisional rivals. For a low scoring affair, this was a great game start to finish. Sucks that Marty could never get his teams to the Super Bowl. Part of it was just bad luck like the Bynar fumble. He did well for never having a consistent year to year quality QB on his side though. Brees/Rivers was probably the best he had for about a 3 year stretch, but then of course he was booted for Norv Turner. Something that stood out in this game is a young Joe Horn on the bench. The Chiefs has a Pro Bowl receiver on the bench for a few years and didn't even realize it. Should have been starting with Rison. Also, I know Grbac got the start, but regardless of who it was, I wasn't a fan of the offensive playcalling in this one for the Chiefs. Way too many runs when it was clear it just wasn't working. I saw Jimmy Raye in the coaches booth upstairs and shuddered. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1984 Week 8 San Francisco 49ers (6-1) at Houston Oilers (0-7)

Sunday Oct 21, 1984
Start Time: 4:00pm
Stadium: Houston Astrodome

This was a pretty exciting game. Especially the 4th quarter. I could kind of see why Debartolo chewed out the team in the locker room, since Houston was winless at 0-7, and he didn't want his powerhouse squad to slip up to the worst team in the league, especially since they had already had their first loss the previous week against the Steelers at home. But I don't know, Houston played hard more than the 49ers seemed to be slacking, and the 49ers offense still kept the foot on the gas in the 4th. It was just the defense that crumbled a bit late. They still won 34-21, so Eddie needed to chill. Anyway, worth a watch. Also, Tom Brookshire and Wayne Walker were soooooooo good as broadcasters. If you watch enough of these old games you'll pick up on some of the clever descriptions these guys came up with on the fly like "it's like trying to tackle a puff of smoke", "like going down Niagara Falls in a barrell", or "if he would have caught that it would have been the bye bye blues". 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Super Bowl XIV Los Angeles Rams (11-7) vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (14-4)

Sunday Jan 20, 1980
Start Time: 6:00pm
Stadium: Rose Bowl

Great game. It really wasn't over until about 6 1/2 minutes when Vince Ferragamo threw that last INT. The Rams hung tough throughout the majority of the game, particularly on defense. Which was pretty remarkable, since this Rams team is one of the worst to ever make it to the Super Bowl. Yet there they were, going toe to toe with the defending Super Bowl champions. I'm glad I took the time to watch the entire original broadcast. I'm surprised this Super Bowl doesn't get talked more about. This was also interesting in that it was basically a home game for the Rams. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2008 Week 1 Carolina Panthers (0-0) at San Diego Chargers (0-0)

Sunday Sep 7, 2008
Start Time: 4:15pm
Stadium: Qualcomm Stadium
Attendance: 67,115
Time of Game: 3:02

Good opening day game between two teams that would eventually make the playoffs. I can't remember why, but Panthers WR Steve Smith didn't play due to what I'm guessing was an injury. Regardless, Jake Delhomme helped save the Panthers from a 4th quarter collapse. That TD pass to the back of the endzone is something that has stuck in my mind over the years. Philip Rivers had a dope pass to Antonio Gates late in the game. I forgot that he was also able to make the nutty athletic throw sometimes in his prime. 

2011 Week 1 New Orleans Saints (0-0) at Green Bay Packers (0-0)

Thursday Sep 8, 2011
Start Time: 8:40pm
Stadium: Lambeau Field
Attendance: 70,555
Time of Game: 3:09

Memorable opening weekend showdown between the previous two Super Bowl champions. Of course this was the 2011 lockout year where offensive production skyrocketed on some squads. Brees and Rodgers both had their best year. It's interesting to look back and see how crisp both of these guys were at the height of their powers. All year people thought the Saints and Packers would duke it out in the NFC title game. 

1995 Week 16 Cincinnati Bengals (6-8) at Cleveland Browns (4-10)

Sunday Dec 17, 1995
Start Time: 1:00pm
Stadium: Cleveland Municipal Stadium
Attendance: 55,875

Final home game for the original Cleveland Browns. Definitely a landmark moment for the history of the NFL. Season was clearly over, and Browns fans showed up one more time to see their beloved team play in their city. Like everything else, the NFL is a business and that was made abundantly clear when Art Modell announced he was moving the franchise to Baltimore during the middle of the season. The Browns were 4-4 at the time, and dropped 6 straight. Obviously something like that doesn't necessarily prevent a team from winning games, but it certainly didn't help matters. Following the season Bill Belichick was fired as Browns head coach despite having made the playoffs the previous season in 1994. 

• Like 1

1989 Week 3 San Francisco 49ers (2-0) at Philadelphia Eagles (2-0)

Sunday Sep 24, 1989
Start Time: 1:00pm
Stadium: Veterans Stadium

This was Joe Montana's finest performance in my opinion. Tough game on the road against Buddy Ryan's defense. Eagles nation were feeling themselves as the next dominating force on the rise in the NFC. This was supposed to be a "changing of the guard" game, and for a while it played out like that. Montana was getting killed in the first half, the result of 6 sacks plus several hits. Eagles jumped out to a 21-10 lead at the start of the 4th quarter. That's when Montana had a ZENKAI and just started dominating. 4 straight drives, 4 touchdowns. Montana in the 4th quarter alone went 11/13 227 yards, and 4 TDs. On the day as a whole: 25/34, 428 yards, 5 TDs. Obviously there was some big YAC plays. Regardless, Montana brought his A++ game despite the Eagles having a cookout in the 49ers backfield. This was back in the days when guys were still taking hits without defenders letting up, and being slammed on AstroTurf. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

On 10/1/2020 at 10:17 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

This was Joe Montana's finest performance in my opinion. Tough game on the road against Buddy Ryan's defense. Eagles nation were feeling themselves as the next dominating force on the rise in the NFC. This was supposed to be a "changing of the guard" game, and for a while it played out like that. Montana was getting killed in the first half, the result of 6 sacks plus several hits. Eagles jumped out to a 21-10 lead at the start of the 4th quarter. That's when Montana had a ZENKAI and just started dominating. 4 straight drives, 4 touchdowns. Montana in the 4th quarter alone went 11/13 227 yards, and 4 TDs. On the day as a whole: 25/34, 428 yards, 5 TDs. Obviously there was some big YAC plays. Regardless, Montana brought his A++ game despite the Eagles having a cookout in the 49ers backfield. This was back in the days when guys were still taking hits without defenders letting up, and being slammed on AstroTurf. 

Too bad those teams didn't meet the year before in the NFC Title Game. A fog prevented that. They probably would have given SF a better game.