Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

Jaguars vs. Steelers on Sunday Night Football 2004. It was one of the ugliest slugfests I've watched and I loved it. Pittsburgh was always bullying people physically in these days and there was nobody to match. The atmosphere in Jacksonville was awesome on this night and they took it to the Steelers and physically whooped them. Pittsburgh won, but Jacksonville beat up on the bullies on this night.

I'm a Browns fan, so there aren't many nostalgic games for me. Only like 5 victories to choose from over the last 18 years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Jaguars vs. Steelers on Sunday Night Football 2004. It was one of the ugliest slugfests I've watched and I loved it. Pittsburgh was always bullying people physically in these days and there was nobody to match. The atmosphere in Jacksonville was awesome on this night and they took it to the Steelers and physically whooped them. Pittsburgh won, but Jacksonville beat up on the bullies on this night.

I'm a Browns fan, so there aren't many nostalgic games for me. Only like 5 victories to choose from over the last 18 years.

jags have always been a tough game for the steelers, even in their down yrs, the games would be close matches

• Like 1

My personal fav game in Jets history (game itself wasnt a classic), pretty much nobody in the world gave them a chance, but i knew their was no way they were gonna lose.  never had a stronger feeling on a game.  Also created arguably the best post game interview in NFL history with Bart Scott.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

The Jack Del Rio Jaguars always give the Steelers problems. They're like the only team other than the Patriots that the Steelers seemed to match up poorly against. Loved Greg Jones as a fullback. That dude was huge. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

Here is an opening day classic that no one seems to ever talk about. In 1981 the Chiefs led by Marv Levy traveled to Pittsburgh to take on Chuck Noll's Steelers. The Steelers were starting to fall off as the top dogs of the league, but still had high expectations heading into the season. The Chiefs were a fledgling franchise at this time, not having made the playoffs in 10 years. 

This was a wild game that had many lead changes, and big plays off of turnovers, which there were also a lot of. Steelers alone lost the ball 7 times to the Chiefs 2 times, and it seems like it the Steelers could have done worse. 

Bill Kenny had marginal success as a starter in the NFL, but on this day he went toe to toe with Terry Bradshaw in the air. Both had relatively good performances. A lot of downfield passes from both offenses at the time. Formations were limited of course. It is impressive how all of these guys were catching the ball with their bare hands. Gloves didn't become a staple for players until the mid to late eighties. All in all, worth a watch. 

• Like 1

Steve McNair and Eddie George take on the tough Buccaneers defense in week 5 of the 2001 season. Titans were looking for their first win of the season after starting 0-3. Buccaneers were 2-1 looking to move on to 3-1. This game was only three weeks after the 9/11 tragedy. Close game that went into overtime. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

Now this was a game that came down to the wires of wires, in attempt to save your season to try and get into the playoffs. In the final week of the 1985 season, the Denver Broncos took on their division rival the Seattle Seahawks in Seattle on a Friday night primetime matchup. The Broncos already had 10 wins, but still needed to win another game to keep their playoff hopes alive. The AFC was very strong that year. John Elway and Dave Kreig go back and forth all night long, and some monster plays are made. Elway had a career high 432 passing yards, but was sacked 5 times, and harassed all night. Gary Kubiak, John's longtime backup had to come in late in the game for a couple of plays. Broncos manage to kick a 43 yard field goal to take the lead 27-24. Seattle has just under a minute, and without timeouts,  manages to drive down into Broncos territory with just enough time to set up a 53 yard field goal. It barely misses by the narrowest of margins. Broncos win the game. Still, they didn't make the playoffs due to tiebreakers with New England. They became the first of only two teams to win 11 games, and not qualify for the postseason.