Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

2001 NFC Divisional Playoff Philadelphia Eagles at Chicago Bears.

Quality game for Philadelphia as Donovan McNabb gets a win in his hometown of Chicago to help the Eagles advance to the NFC Championship. A lot of people dog on McNabb now due to what he says in the media or how his career ended once he was essentially washed up, but early on his was one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Especially with what he had to work with at receiver. This was Brian Urlacher's first playoff game. Bears defense was great all year long, but the lack of an offense going up against a team that was pretty good on both sides of the ball hurt them. Even if Jim Miller doesn't get hurt, I don't think it would have made a difference. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So it's Week 15 of the 2009 season and the Saints are undefeated. The media can't stop talking about how swell these guys are. They've been in situations where they should have lost (against Washington, who promptly choked), but things always seem to come out their way. New Orleans is crazy about them, blissfully unaware of what they're cheering for every time Gregg Williams' defense takes the field; poor Darren Sharper's ears are ringing after every home game.

Then the Dallas Cowboys come to town. Big deal, right? Ezekiel Elliott won't be drafted for another seven years, so nobody's afraid of the Cowboys. They have an uninspiring head coach, the most unpopular owner in the league, and a fairly sympathetic group of players led by Tony Romo who are pretty good, sometimes very good, but just not good enough. Even the broadcasters on the pre-show are looking past them, flat-out saying they can't win and New Orleans' real test will come against Carolina or somebody.

The Cowboys beg to differ. The guys in the black pajamas are caught flatfooted as Dallas seizes control of the game, on both sides of the ball, for the majority of the first half. I can't believe what I'm seeing. It's not like the Saints aren't getting pressure; Romo is hurried a lot and sacked four times, but he's making the throws that need to be made. Miles Austin is out-Austining himself, Marion Barber is a human sledgehammer, and the Boys' defense is forcing turnovers from Drew Brees and keeping him off the field. The result: Dallas goes into halftime up 17-3 and the Dome buzzes with uncertainty. 

The Cowboys start the second half just like the first: with a touchdown drive, chewing seven minutes off the clock in the process. They're up 24-3 and the Saints must get something going here--which they finally do in the fourth quarter, spreading out the Dallas defense and scoring touchdowns on consecutive drives with eight long minutes remaining. Now what? The Cowboys quiet the crowd and kill more clock with a drive deep into the red zone. Nick Folk goes "doink," Brees sees a light at the end of the tunnel and drives towards it ... only to see it mercilessly extinguished by a sack-fumble from DeMarcus Ware. What a football game. Exciting, aggressive, well officiated and best of all: Sean Payton lost.

Edited by y*so*blu

• 3 months later...

About time to dust this off. 

2003 Week 14 Indianapolis Colts at Tennessee Titans

Also known as the Eddie Berlin game. Titans and Colts were going for first place in the AFC South. Both had 9-3 records. Titans won the newly formed division the previous year at 11-5 while sweeping the Colts who finished 10-6. For a minute there was a lazy narrative that the Titans were more of a "physical" team (played outside, been to the Super Bowl, established defense, offense went through Eddie George etc.) and the Colts were more of a "finesse" team (played in a dome, team defense wasn't so great, known for having 3 early playoff one-and-done exits). 

All of that essentially changed this season. Colts dumped on Tennessee early in the year at Indianapolis 33-7, and came out on top in week 14, taking advantage of the Titans 4 turnovers. Despite the blunders, the Titans still made it a close game. Marvin Harrison also has one of the best catches I've ever seen here. It's a little after the 8 minute mark. 

The Colts essentially took over the AFC South after this, and a long period of Manning dominance ensued. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

2003 Week 10 Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Carolina Panthers

This was a gem that I didn't even remember occurring. The defending champion Buccaneers taking on the eventual NFC Champion Panthers. This was probably the game that solidified the division rivalry between both teams as the NFC South was only in it's second year. This game had it all. Good defensive plays by both teams, and good offensive plays, chippiness between players, and even a game winning TD drive. Panthers with guys like Delhomme, Smith, Muhammad, Peppers, Rucker, Minter, Prohel, Davis, and Jenkins. Bucs with guys like Lynch, Brooks, Barber, Rice, Sapp, Keyshawn, etc. If I had a show a new fan a football game, this might be one that I pick. BTW, Keenan McCardell makes a stupid TD grab in this game between two defenders. 

Edited by PapaShogun

Week 14 2008 Houston Texans at Green Bay Packers

I love inter-conference matchups between quality offenses. This was a good one. Both teams didn't go to the playoffs, but both looked like teams on the rise with good offenses. This was Aaron Rodgers' first year as a starter, and he had a good year stat wise. Same with Matt Schaub. Unfortunately both teams were lacking defensively all year. There are some big pass plays from this game, especially from Houston. The Texans overall had 500 plus yards of total offense most of it through the year with 400 plus passing yards. Despite losing the turnover battle 4 to 1 in favor of the Packers, they still came out on top with a last second field goal to get the 24-21 win. 

NFL Primetime Edition: 1994 Week 4 Miami Dolphins at Minnesota Vikings

This is a lost gem that no one seems to talk about. A big shootout between two HOF QBs that turned in great seasons in 1994. Marino and Moon were both on fire this day, and there were some awesome throws made. The Vikings nearly squandered a 28 point lead at home, but clamped down in the end to seal the deal. As of this posting, the full game is up on YouTube also on another channel. 

NFL Primetime Edition: 2004 Week 3 Jacksonville Jaguars at Tennessee Titans 

This game was essentially in my opinion where the Jeff Fisher Titans as an AFC power crumbled. QB Steve McNair injured his sternum in this contest, and for the rest of the season played musical chairs with backup Billy Volek. Largely, he was absent though. Also without Eddie George, his replacement Chris Brown showed potential, but couldn't get the tough yards on short yardage situations. The defense also took a step back with the loss of Javon Kearse. After this year, the salary cap purge was on, and a lot of key guys left. Jacksonville on the other hand was on the doorstep of success, and even made it to the playoffs a couple of times under Jack Del Rio, but largely didn't go anywhere as a franchise. In this game here, they exorcised some past demons by beating the Titans, who just used to bully them in the past few years by winning 5 straight. 

Edited by PapaShogun

NFL Primetime Edition: 1995 Week 13 New England Patriots at Buffalo Bills

The Patriots were hanging on to their playoff hopes by a thread, but came up big in their week 13 showdown with the Bills. I've never heard a defense try to negate a touchdown by claiming they were distracted by local police trying to get a fan off the field. :D

This is still my favorite NFL theme. Reminds me of sunny days circa 1996. The NFL power was definitely shifting from being NFC dominated to the rise of the AFC with teams like the Broncos, Titans, Ravens, and Jaguars. I miss the AFC on NBC. D.Enberg was awesome. 

Edited by PapaShogun

2004 Week 15 Kansas City Chiefs at Tennessee Titans

I still wish I could find this complete game for my personal collection. It was a MNF game between two teams that were out of the playoff hunt, but had made the playoffs the previous year. You still have star power to a degree on both teams, and on this night they both put up an offensive show. This was the year that backup QB Billy Volek filled in an injured Steve McNair and put up fantasy football numbers against bad secondaries. I'll never forget after this game, and maybe the next MNF game, ABC released a promo trying to garner excitement for the last three weeks of MNF due to the close games or something. Looking back, I think they put that out because ratings were tanking, and the squads on the slate that late into the season weren't teams that weren't necessarily going places. The NFC sucking that year didn't help matters. 

• Like 1