Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

57 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Too bad those teams didn't meet the year before in the NFC Title Game. A fog prevented that. They probably would have given SF a better game.

That would have been interesting. The game would have been at Candlestick then since the 49ers had the higher seed. 

• Like 1

2002 Week 1 Atlanta Falcons (0-0) at Green Bay Packers (0-0)

Sunday Sep 8, 2002
Start Time: 1:04pm
Stadium: Lambeau Field
Attendance: 63,127
Time of Game: 3:36

Fun game. Seeing this reminds me of how cool it was to see Vick play in the NFL. Reminds me of Steve Young except with a better arm, faster, and more elusive. I still think anyone else has entered the league that was as dynamic as Vick was running the football in open space at QB. It's unfortunate that he simply seemed to get by on talent for his first few years, and then of course the scandal came. If he had that refined mindset once he became an Eagle, I think he would have had a much better career. Anyway, Vick got to play Favre the legend while Favre was still crushing it as a Packer. The playoff game later that year was cool too, but this was a much closer showdown. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

For Viking fans, this was a massive disappointment. The Broncos beat Atlanta, and it was great to see Elway go out with two in a row. However, the country was robbed of an all-time Super Bowl.

At 34:33, you will see Tim Dwight of the Falcons running the Wildcat 10 years before it was vogue.

Also, when I think about this game, I think about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbMk1qffPNM

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

Pivotal game in the Brady-Manning rivalry and the Pats dynasty (stage I). If not for that goal line stand, the Pats would've had to travel to Indy in the playoffs.

I consider their Nov. 2003 game in the RCA Dome as the real start of the Brady-Manning rivalry (I know that they had two meetings in 01, but that was a different time. Not many thought that Brady would have much of a career at that point, and the Colts had a bad year).

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

20 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

For Viking fans, this was a massive disappointment. The Broncos beat Atlanta, and it was great to see Elway go out with two in a row. However, the country was robbed of an all-time Super Bowl.

At 34:33, you will see Tim Dwight of the Falcons running the Wildcat 10 years before it was vogue.

Also, when I think about this game, I think about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbMk1qffPNM

I could see something like that being played on the Minnesota airwaves during that time. Best year for the franchise up to that point. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2008 Week 3 Pittsburgh Steelers (2-0) at Philadelphia Eagles (1-1)

Sunday Sep 21, 2008
Start Time: 4:14pm
Stadium: Lincoln Financial Field
Attendance: 69,144
Time of Game: 3:07

Great defensive game between two teams that could have met in an all-Pennsylvania Super Bowl that season. It's remarkable that the Steelers even won the Super Bowl with that offensive line, which I believe was a pitfall all season long. Testament to the great defense that carried the team that year. BTW, does Mike Tomlin age?

• 3 weeks later...

1996 week 17, Patriots vs Giants. I grew up in NY, the Niners were always my favourite team because they were always on TV back then. But the Giants were my 2nd team (i've since moved away from NY and they're no longer my 2nd team, but no animosity either). 

I watched a ton of NFL games as a kid but this is one i remember the most. I believe it was played on a Saturday. I remember this because i had the apartment to myself as my parents were shopping. Giants weren't that good but they dominated the Pats 22-0. And then the Pats came back and won 23-22 on a last minute TD. 

Watching this short highlight clip gives me a lot of nostalgia. I couldn't find longer clips/the game on YouTube, but even these 2 minutes bring back a lot of memories of my childhood. 

I can't remember if this is the year the Pats made the SB and lost to the Packers?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

1996 week 17, Patriots vs Giants. I grew up in NY, the Niners were always my favourite team because they were always on TV back then. But the Giants were my 2nd team (i've since moved away from NY and they're no longer my 2nd team, but no animosity either). 

I watched a ton of NFL games as a kid but this is one i remember the most. I believe it was played on a Saturday. I remember this because i had the apartment to myself as my parents were shopping. Giants weren't that good but they dominated the Pats 22-0. And then the Pats came back and won 23-22 on a last minute TD. 

Watching this short highlight clip gives me a lot of nostalgia. I couldn't find longer clips/the game on YouTube, but even these 2 minutes bring back a lot of memories of my childhood. 

I can't remember if this is the year the Pats made the SB and lost to the Packers?

Yeah that was the year the Patriots made the Super Bowl and lost to the Packers. Maybe the best Patriots team ever up to that point. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

• 4 weeks later...

2012 Week 5 San Diego Chargers (3-1) at New Orleans Saints (0-4)

Sunday Oct 7, 2012
Start Time: 8:31pm
Stadium: Mercedes-Benz Superdome
Attendance: 73,109
Time of Game: 3:07

Two quality gunfighters in their prime squaring off on SNF. Five weeks in, and the Saints are looking for their first W. Drew Brees is also on the precipice of eclipsing Johnny Unitas' consecutive games with at least one TD record. Saints coach Sean Payton has a boxseat in the upper deck due to the fallout from the Bountygate scandal. Good game overall. 

• 4 weeks later...