Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

2012 Week 13 Indianapolis Colts (7-4) at Detroit Lions (4-7)

Sunday Dec 2, 2012
Start Time: 1:03pm
Stadium: Ford Field
Attendance: 63,887
Time of Game: 3:29

Highlight game from Andrew Luck's rookie campaign. Colts have orchestrated a massive turnaround thanks to their new QB. Detroit's playoff chances are fading, but Calvin Johnson is closing in on Jerry Rice's single season yardage record. Fun game that came down to triple zeroes. 

1981 Week 11 Cleveland Browns (4-6) at San Francisco 49ers (8-2)

Sunday Nov 15, 1981
Start Time: 4:00pm
Stadium: Candlestick Park

Defense-dominated game between two teams going in opposite directions during the season. The field conditions at Candlestick are less than ideal, and the bay area weather is muggy. Cleveland isn't showcasing it's muscle from the previous season, but they're still able to put the flex on the 49ers in San Francisco. This would be the final loss of the season for the 49ers, and the final win for the Browns. 

I often watch old MNF games from 1990-97, during the time Frank and Al and Dan were on the call.

This was MNF's peak era, and the one I was first exposed to.

I've even ordered some on DVD-Rs, which I stopped doing because it was cost-prohibitive.

Perhaps the best ABC game post 1997 was when Brett Favre won one for his late father - which I did not actually watch live, but after I ordered it on DVD-R.

There were been numerous missed opportunities between 1990-97 to schedule regional rivalries (mainly AFC-NFC games) on MNF, after both teams were coming off .500 or better seasons:

1990: New Orleans (1989: 9-7, missed playoffs by 2 games) at Houston (1989: lost to Pittsburgh in the Wild Card Round), Buffalo (1989 AFC East champs) at NY Giants (1989 NFC East champs) (would have made Super Bowl XXV the first one on ABC to have been a rematch of an MNF game from earlier in the season)

1991: Pittsburgh (barely missed playoffs at 9-7 in 1990) at Philadelphia (4th seed in NFC in 1990) (1982 battle of PA was planned for MNF but canceled due to the strike), San Francisco at LA Raiders (defending NFC West champs VS. defending AFC West champs, would finally be on MNF from Candlestick Park in 1994)

1992: Atlanta at Miami (Falcons coming off playoff season, Dolphins lost a tiebreaker to the Jets for the final AFC spot),

1993: Houston at New Orleans (Houston at 10-6 and New Orleans at 12-4 were both playoff teams in 1992), Kansas City at Minnesota (rematch of Super Bowl IV, both teams lost in wild card round the previous season)

1994: Philadelphia at Pittsburgh (in 1993, Eagles barely missed playoffs, Steelers barely made them), San Francisco at San Diego (met in ABC-aired Super Bowl XXIX), Houston at Dallas (both teams won their divisions at 12-4, with Dallas being the defending champs, would have made a great MNF opener in 1994), Buffalo at Detroit (defending AFC champs at defending NFC Central champs, both teams border Canada, was chosen as NBC's Thanksgiving game instead)

1995: Cleveland at Detroit (both teams made 1994 playoffs as wild cards)

1996: Green Bay at Kansas City (not too regional, but the teams meeting on MNF 30 years after meeting in the first Super Bowl would have been a great narrative)

1997: Pittsburgh at Philadelphia (again; both teams were coming off playoff appearances in the same season for the first time in a long time for a meeting against each other - and it still did not get aired on MNF), San Diego at San Francisco (Super Bowl XXIX rematch)

That JaguarGator channel on You Tube is a good channel. Here is his most recent history one:

That day shaped the future of the Redskins. If they would have won that game, the Joe Gibbs era probably doesn't happen. It also shaped the future of the Bears. Mugs Halas (George's son) died, and it led to the McCaskey's eventually taking over the team.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

57 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

That JaguarGator channel on You Tube is a good channel. Here is his most recent history one:

That day shaped the future of the Redskins. If they would have won that game, the Joe Gibbs era probably doesn't happen. It also shaped the future of the Bears. Mugs Halas (George's son) died, and it led to the McCaskey's eventually taking over the team.

Yup. That's why I've been posting his videos here recently. His channel is right up my alley, and I'm excited for what he has in store for 2021. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2003 AFC Wild Card Tennessee Titans (12-4) at Baltimore Ravens (10-6)

Saturday Jan 3, 2004
Start Time: 4:37pm
Stadium: M&T Bank Stadium
Attendance: 69,452
Time of Game: 2:59

One of my favorite wild card games. Essentially the last push for Jeff Fisher's early Titans squads. QB Steve McNair won co-MVP that season, and helped guide the Titans to a 12-4 record. Unfortunately, this wasn't good enough to win the AFC South thanks to Peyton Manning, and the Colts. Titans RB Eddie George was on his last legs, and the narrative heading into this game with the Ravens is that he was essentially a half-measure that wouldn't dent the Baltimore defense. Especially since they sported the NFL defensive player of the year Ray Lewis. Also, they had 2k rusher Jamal Lewis in the prime of his career. Eddie George however, played one of his most memorable games, and had the better day. Even after getting hurt, and leaving, he returned to help the Titans escape with a narrow victory. This would be his last win as a Titan. 

2011 Week 17 Dallas Cowboys (8-7) at New York Giants (8-7)

Sunday Jan 1, 2012
Start Time: 8:31pm
Stadium: MetLife Stadium
Attendance: 81,077

I forgot about this game. Playoffs essentially starting a week earlier for either team. Watching this reminded me of Eli Manning having the best season of his career production-wise. Maybe his last great year actually. Also, the arsenal of targets he had to work with in Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham. All were good receivers, but didn't play long due to injuries. I was also reminded of the terrible offensive line play that Romo was working with, and really how his career overall was wasted playing for Dallas. Anyway, good game, although Dallas was behind the 8 ball most of the time. Too bad the NFC East is hot garbage now. 

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

2011 Week 17 Dallas Cowboys (8-7) at New York Giants (8-7)

Sunday Jan 1, 2012
Start Time: 8:31pm
Stadium: MetLife Stadium
Attendance: 81,077

I forgot about this game. Playoffs essentially starting a week earlier for either team. Watching this reminded me of Eli Manning having the best season of his career production-wise. Maybe his last great year actually. Also, the arsenal of targets he had to work with in Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham. All were good receivers, but didn't play long due to injuries. I was also reminded of the terrible offensive line play that Romo was working with, and really how his career overall was wasted playing for Dallas. Anyway, good game, although Dallas was behind the 8 ball most of the time. Too bad the NFC East is hot garbage now. 

It was the first time a divisional rivalry was completely absent from Sunday afternoon. The game in Arlington was also on SNF that year.

• Like 1