Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

NFL Yearbook 2004 St. Louis Rams. I always liked the production of this intro. Thought it was done really well with the various cinematic shots, voice work, and music. Interesting enough, even at 8-8 this was one of the worst teams to ever make the playoffs. 

36 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

NFL Yearbook 1980 San Diego Chargers. AFC West Division Champions

I watched plenty of those games in 1980. Since I was on the East Coast, seemed like the late game on Sunday afternoon was *always* the Chargers or Raiders. The Seahawks were still just the new expansion team so we all laughed at those clowns. (This was NBC so it had to be an AFC matchup).

Still can't believe Brian Sipe threw that INT to gift-wrap a Raiders over Browns playoff win while trying to force the ball to Ozzie Newsome. I watched that game live on TV with my Pops. Browns were in easy FG range to win the game. Chargers were likely Super Bowl bound without that travesty, the Browns had no chance if they'd played San Diego imho. Instead the Raiders took the momentum and won it all with Kenny King showing out, and Patriots reject QB Jim Plunkett too. 

A non-coked-up Chuck Muncie was a dominant RB for the Chargers that year, basically 5 YPC. Their whole offense was unstoppable actually. John Jefferson, Charlie Joiner, Kellen Winslow. All catching passes from Dan Fouts. The archaic NFL had no idea what was hitting them. Air Coryell indeed. 

Youtube is tons of fun to relive these old games. What a treasure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

I watched plenty of those games in 1980. Since I was on the East Coast, seemed like the late game on Sunday afternoon was *always* the Chargers or Raiders. The Seahawks were still just the new expansion team so we all laughed at those clowns. (This was NBC so it had to be an AFC matchup).

Still can't believe Brian Sipe threw that INT to gift-wrap a Raiders over Browns playoff win while trying to force the ball to Ozzie Newsome. I watched that game live on TV with my Pops. Browns were in easy FG range to win the game. Chargers were likely Super Bowl bound without that travesty, the Browns had no chance if they'd played San Diego imho. Instead the Raiders took the momentum and won it all with Kenny King showing out, and Patriots reject QB Jim Plunkett too. 

A non-coked-up Chuck Muncie was a dominant RB for the Chargers that year, basically 5 YPC. Their whole offense was unstoppable actually. John Jefferson, Charlie Joiner, Kellen Winslow. All catching passes from Dan Fouts. The archaic NFL had no idea what was hitting them. Air Coryell indeed. 

Youtube is tons of fun to relive these old games. What a treasure. 

Air Coryell was The Greatest Show on Turf before The Greatest Show on Turf.

As for the Raiders, they got several breaks in that SD game, like their first TD (ball bouncing to Chester from Kenny King), the offsides on the kickoff in the second quarter (SD cut the lead to 28-14 and recovered a fumble, but were offsides), and the Wilbur Young offsides with about six minutes to go in the game. Very lucky team.

4 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Air Coryell was The Greatest Show on Turf before The Greatest Show on Turf.

As for the Raiders, they got several breaks in that SD game, like their first TD (ball bouncing to Chester from Kenny King), the offsides on the kickoff in the second quarter (SD cut the lead to 28-14 and recovered a fumble, but were offsides), and the Wilbur Young offsides with about six minutes to go in the game. Very lucky team.

Raiders were the first-ever Wildcard team to win a Super Bowl. It was kind of a big deal back then, the media wouldn't shut up about the Wildcard aspect. They just got hot at the right time, and blasted through the playoffs with vigor. They had so much talent on both sides of the ball. Cliff Branch and Ray Guy are two of my favorite NFL players of all time. 

Chargers had home field and didn't take advantage. Saw it happen too many times with the Dolphins in the playoffs ugh. Home losses suck. 

1980 Raiders could have easily lost that game against the Browns. The conditions were terrible, and both teams looked like garbage most of the time. I can't remember how many missed field goals the Browns kicker missed, but it made a huge difference in the game. 

I will say, that the Raiders did completely dominated the Eagles, and looked like the superior team that day. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

NFL Yearbook 1994 Miami Dolphins. Dan Marino's last elite season of at least 30 touchdowns and 4K yards passing. Side note, Bryan Cox was one of the most underrated linebackers that ever laced them up. Pretty good for a 5th rounder. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1983 Week 6 Buffalo Bills (3-2) at Miami Dolphins (3-2)

Sunday Oct 9, 1983
Start Time: 1:00pm
Stadium: Orange Bowl

Great game between division rivals Miami and Buffalo. The first time Dan Marino started, and although he has some ups and downs, he eventually finds a stride in the 2nd half. On the opposite end Joe Ferguson for the Bills has maybe his best performance ever. This one goes into OT, and continues to walk a tightrope even then. 

Now I'm actually curious to see if I can come up with a good name for that division. The exercise will provide quality level shower thoughts if nothing else. BTW, I do think it would have been cool to have every division align with similar descriptors like they tried to do back in the day. A lot more interesting than just labeling divisions with the direction the respective cities are supposed to be in. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

NFL Yearbook 1984 Seattle Seahawks. Up until about 2005 when the Seahawks went to the Super Bowl, this season was probably the benchmark for the franchise. They won 12 games, and although they didn't win the competitive AFC West, they were arguably the best team in the division compared with Denver and the LA Raiders. Seattle went on a warpath that year despite having lost star runningback Curt Warner in the first game against Cleveland. Their defense racked up 55 sacks, and had a game in which they returned 4 interceptions for touchdowns (a record that still stands). Dave Krieg's 32 passing touchdowns stood as the all time best in a season until Russell Wilson broke it in 2015. Coach Chuck Knox was named AP Coach of the Year. 

• Like 1