Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

NFL Yearbook 1986 Los Angeles Rams. This was a pretty well put together episode with some good interviews from the players/coaches. Thinking about the Rams franchise as this time, it's pretty remarkable that John Robinson was able to come in for the 1983 season and lead the Rams to the playoffs in his first four years. In particular, it was impressive that the Rams did this despite having to play musical chairs at quarterback during that time span. In 1986 though, after having acquiring rookie QB Jim Everett, the future looked a little brighter after he made his debut late in the season. Too bad Eric Dickerson was traded away in 1987. 

Truly inspiring, and a feel good story. Strangely, the announcers of this game made no mention of Gary's tragedy he had just suffered through. But a couple of decades later when Favre played after the passing of his father the media was all over it. Interesting how times change. 

2013 Week 1 Baltimore Ravens (0-0) at Denver Broncos (0-0)

Thursday Sep 5, 2013
Start Time: 9:13pm
Stadium: Sports Authority Field at Mile High
Attendance: 76,977
Time of Game: 3:38

Can't believe this game is almost 8 years old now. What I remember most about this one other than the 7 touchdowns by Manning was that the Ravens had to open on the road as defending champions due to a schedule conflict with the Orioles, the Ravens being in the game in the first half until crumbling in the second, and Danny Trevathan's dumb decision to drop the ball right before he crossed the endzone marker. Anyway, Broncos got their revenge after the previous loss in the playoffs 9 months prior. Even though it was a "blowout", I thought it was a good game to open the season. 

Nice  spotlight on John Hadl. Wish I got to see him play. Those Chargers uniforms were fresh, and Hadl looked fire with that #21 for a QB. Surprised that it wasn't retired by the time Tomlinson wore it. It's a shame that a lot of people either forget, or just don't know about Hadl since his prime was before the merger.

One of my favorite tracks from composer David Robidoux. I've had it for a while thanks to a favor from someone else, but for a long time I didn't know the name of the track. Seemed like a similar story for the provider here who recently uploaded it to YouTube. Alas, now I know the name. If you watched NFL Yearbook in the 1990s, you heard this track quite often. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

15 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

@ET80 I hope this actually makes you chuckle instead of giving you Vietnam flashbacks. 

I'm dead on the inside when it comes to football. Cleveland fans have nothing on me anymore.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

@ET80 I hope this actually makes you chuckle instead of giving you Vietnam flashbacks. 

I'll say that Bud Adams is maybe 3rd or 4th most hated sports figures in Houston now...

1. Mike Fiers

2. Bill O'Brien

3. Adams/Jack Easterby/Cal McNair

I wish this whole game was available.

• You have future HoF QB Dan Fouts with a GWD in a 30-27 win
  • The Oliers came back from down 11 in the 4th to take the lead.
  • You have this controversial play that put them down by 11.
  • Fouts is wearing 11 because he was sacked 8 times and his 14 jersey was ripped to shreds.
    • 19 of 24 for 279 with 2 TDs at 11.4 per pass and a 142.9 rating ... and sacked 8 times.
  • The guy with the best number in sports caught 2 long TDs, Ken Burrough wearing 00 
  • Oh yeah, BTW, in 1976 Fouts made the turn from bad young QB towards the star he would become
    • His OC this season? Some guy named Bill Walsh.

1989 Week 12 Los Angeles Rams (7-4) at New Orleans Saints (6-5)

Sunday Nov 26, 1989
Start Time: 8:00pm
Stadium: Louisiana Superdome

Everyone knows this as the game where Flipper Anderson broke the record for receiving yards in a game, albeit with the help of another quarter via overtime. I think what was just as impressive was the 4th quarter comeback the Rams manufactured. The Saints defense all night stifled the Rams offense, and this is pretty clear even in this condensed video of highlights. Even when the 4th quarter began, it wasn't until the game was in the final few minutes that the Rams were able to overcome the Saints, and survive OT (which didn't have to happen if Rams kicker Mike Lansford nailed his kick). Fabulous game with a memorable performance by Flipper Anderson, who didn't even have the help of Henry Ellard at his disposal since he was out due to injury. 

1990 Week 10 Seattle Seahawks (3-5) at Kansas City Chiefs (5-3)

Sunday Nov 11, 1990
Start Time: 1:00pm
Stadium: Arrowhead Stadium

This is commonly known as the Derrick Thomas game of course. Got 7 sacks on Seattle quarterback Dave Krieg, who was actually dropped 9 times that game by the Chiefs defense. Unfortunately for the Chiefs, they still lost the game despite a remarkable job by their defense. Their offense was so lackluster the effort was essentially wasted by the other side of the ball. What no one ever talks about in this game is Dave Krieg managing to win the game on a last second touchdown pass with time expiring. Perhaps it's because he wasn't a HOF player like Thomas was, and it wasn't necessarily a HOF type game from him either, but the way he battled back despite getting killed was astonishing. Seattle turned around their 0-3 start to finish 9-7 narrowly missing the playoffs. They had a lot of close finishes that year. As someone else put it, you had this game, you had 3 games that went into overtime, and you had the week 16 Sunday night game against the Broncos where the Broncos won on a Hail Mary on the final play, only for the refs to call a penalty and take it away. Nutty year.