Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"There will be NO 3-peat". 

Worst words I've ever heard in football. So...we lost our HOF quarterback, who would never play another meaningful game for the franchise, and we lost the chance at winning a third straight Super Bowl. In the same game. 

As for Elliot Harrison's list, I think it's pretty good. All of those games were heartbreakers for the losing squad. The 1980 Chargers team could easily be on this list I feel. Maybe the 2010 Bears as well. Even though they never had a lead in the game, losing at home to your long time rival to go to the Super Bowl has to be a top 3 franchise loss I would fathom. 

Edited by PapaShogun

• 1 month later...

1983 Week 10 Miami Dolphins (6-3) at San Francisco 49ers (6-3)

This was a pretty good game. First meeting between Montana, and Marino, who was making just his 5th start as a rookie. The 49ers and Dolphins both came in with the same record, leading their divisions. Both quarterbacks had decent outings. Nat Moore for the Dolphins tore up the 49ers secondary, receiving two touchdowns in the process. Ronnie Lott had a rough day at the office, which is included in the highlights. The game is tied at halftime 14-14, and it comes down the wire late in the 4th with the 49ers have a couple of chances to score, but turn the ball over on back to back drives, letting Miami off the hook with a victory. Montana and the 49ers would make the Dolphins the next season in the Super Bowl though, in a game that went vastly different. 

A trip down memory lane with the Gruden saga. From 2002 Super Bowl champions, to falling back into mediocrity. This was done by SB Nation, and in my opinion was surprisingly put together well. I completely forgot about the Charlie Garner and Tim Brown signings for the Buccaneers before the 2004 season. Gruden just loves his grizzled over the hill vets. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was really fun to guess along the way when Elliot was making his selections. I got some of them right, but there were a few guys I completely forgot about like Bryce Paup, Hardy Nickerson, and Priest Holmes going to new teams, and becoming dominant forces. I almost shed a tear seeing Tim McDonald listed. He was one of the most underrated, and underappreciated safeties that played. Elliot didn't list a fullback, kicker, or punter though for whatever reason. For fullback I'd go with Howard Griffith or Lorenzo Neal. 

Edited by PapaShogun

Remember when the Seahawks were Matt Hasselbeck's team? When their stadium was called Qwest Field? Before they got their painful Nike-era uniforms and became almost uniformly unlikeable, they were a team of sympathetic underdogs struggling to get over the hump. Just when it appeared they were on the decline from the Mike Holmgren years, they crawled into the playoffs with a 7-9 record and upset the defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans "Saints." The game was called by Tom Hammond and Mike Mayock, and how a guy with a lisp was allowed to do color commentary on a playoff game I will never know. Regardless, it was a thrilling confrontation that hinted at future successes in Seattle.