Bye week thoughts

dll2000

No good thread to talk generally in during bye so I made one.  Feel free to chime in.  

Raiders fans have been discussing top 5 pick from Bears in 2019 and who to take.  They may need to revisit that.  Bears are still getting little respect nationally. That's fine, when you are bad for a long time you get that. 

Like some of us discussed Floyd dropping in coverage is a plus or can be.  He is long and quick and causes problems in intermediate zone drop.  Conversely I hate seeing Mack drop.  People dreamed of a double pass rush, but the drop and pressure combo can be effective too.  Use your players strengths dont shove the square peg into the round hole. Hopefully Vic sees that too. It looks like he does.

Tolliver got some nice experience and could be a future player.  Callahan looks good. Nice to see secondary depth.  

Nichols keeps making plays in limited reps.  Look for his reps to increase.  Nice to see him add to D line depth and with mid round picks to boot.  Woot.  Heck, he may be starting soon. Pace hasn't been perfect, but he has been good. Particularly good at finding mid round picks that can play.  I like the strategy of going after injured star players from big schools or small school studs who may have been in overlooked in mid to late rounds. You miss on some of course, but you can find some good ones.  

Mack is defensive player of year to date and second isn't close. I feel like that cant be said enough. Wow. Just wow. He has exceeded expectations. This in record setting offensive year.  

Oline seems to be getting better each week.  Not talked about much. Like to see Daniels in starting line up soon.  

I love Cohen centered game plans, even last year, he is such a mismatch in passing game.  He has such good hands.  More of that.  Make sure you give Howard credit for closing game too even though it wasnt in doubt.  That will be more important with tighter scores.  I think Howard doesn't get enough love from Bears fans. He carried team on his back for most of two years and is a good RB. 

People are saying break out was just bad TB D, which is partially true, but people werent expecting that performance nonetheless.  Mental and momentum aspects of football are real, which is why I feared all negativity surrounding MT by Chicago fans and media and outside agitators piling on.  There is a reason Alabama and other teams schedule cupcakes, they are important confidence builders.  It is important to experience success and make big plays even if it is against overmatched opponent which Bucs secondary was. Now our secondary was supposed to be overmatched too in that game and while they had adv of pressure they held up fairly well.  TB scoring machine was mostly shut down and Bears ended Fitzmagic for season after he set records,  

Would like to see Roquan blitzing more in games with a lead or in obvious passing downs. He was an exceptional blitzer in college.  Yes they are getting pressure with 4, send him anyway. It is a strength of his.  Use it.

MT bashers are quiet for a few weeks now which is nice. I hated all that negativity and told you so's and should have drafted this guy or that guy.  I cant tell you how annoying it was.  Defenders cant crow too much because there will be some more bad games.  Key is trust the process, it is a learning year.  That doesnt mean you cant dream of playoff wins and score points, but you cant fast forward experience in a new system it just has to come and it takes time.  

Pleasant surprises for first quarter:

Mack. Signing and trade is story of the year.  His performance in first quarter has been almost as astounding.  Completes one of greatest offseasons in Bears history if not the greatest.

Nichols and Tolliver. 5th round pick and UDFA showing signs that they can be solid NFL starters and maybe more at some point. 

3-1 start.

Play of Callahan. 

Play of Massie and Long. (Thought Massie might be bad in protection and Long might be broken.)

TB game. All of it.  Especially MT.

Floyd in coverage.

Robinson in first year back from ACL.

Disappointments:

2nd half of GB game.

Smith holdout and subsequent slow(er) start.

Shaheen, Floyd and Miller injuries. 

MT missed throws or throws out of bounds in first three games.

Fan and media reaction to MT play.

Daniels not at center from day 1.  Feel like optimal line is and always has been Daniels at center and Whitehair at guard.

Floyd in pass rush.

Bullard.

Expectations met:

Everyone else.  

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Floyd has been really good. He does not have the sack numbers I am sure we all want, but his play against the run and in pass coverage has been exceptional.

He is not a stud one on one pass rusher which is what he was drafted for.  He is, however; a very good football player and athlete.  He does everything else very well.

It would be somewhat infuriating, but for the Mack trade.  With Mack he becomes a very valuable contributor in all phases of defense.  A jack of all trades.  

I wouldn't be shocked if he had a pick 6 this year. 

If it was me I would alternate dropping/rushing Smith and Floyd and sometimes send both on passing downs.  Just randomize it.  Smith, I am betting, is a better blitz pass rusher than Floyd and Floyd is better in coverage because he's longer.

Put them both close to LOS and make O line account for both of them pre snap whatever they are doing. 

This is a d you can be real creative with if you chose.  I would choose.   

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

FWIW, Anthony Miller was in Memphis yesterday for the weekend and he said he’ll be back after the bye week.

Saw that. He said he dislocated his shoulder during the Cardinals game. Twice. Not exactly sure how that happens, or even is allowed to happen, but it'll be fantastic to get him back. 

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Saw that. He said he dislocated his shoulder during the Cardinals game. Twice. Not exactly sure how that happens, or even is allowed to happen, but it'll be fantastic to get him back. 

Bc the first dislocation is never properly reset and then just comes loose again.  If it happens again this season he is going to have to have surgery.

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Bc the first dislocation is never properly reset and then just comes loose again.  If it happens again this season he is going to have to have surgery.

If its me I sit him one more week so its not a nagging thing.

Archived