Trades you want this year

3rivers

CB2 is the obvious weak link on this team, I (like many) thought the trade would help this. Wait and see how this goes.  Run, own TOP and hope is what I see working. No way a legit QB and offence doesn't score vs burns often if he is in there. I am not sure about Sutton, and have hope there, but coty and burns forget it.  What if Haden gets hurt? Depth at CB is paramount in todays game, but tell colbert this.  They should have let Bell walk and then address CB2, so this is on colbert.

Honestly that was my thought process I didn't feel like he would really have the on-field speed or ability to stretch the field but I wasn't sure if maybe there was somebody that felt differently. I also wasn't sure if maybe from a simple ability to catch the football he might be better and more reliable than Justin Hunter but at the same time I suppose if you really can't create any separation you're not going to get very many opportunities to catch the football

if I'm being completely honest I think there's a couple reasons that the Steelers did not do anything during the trade deadline this year one of them being that they almost never do. But the other reason is i dont think they wanted to add anyone that they would inmediately have to resign to a long term contract. We are going to head into the offseason with a decent amount of cap space available to us. I believe that something is gonna be done about Dupree's cap #. We'll resign Foster, he has earned it. We are gonna have the ability to make some free agency improvements should Colbert see the opportunity to do so.

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

if I'm being completely honest I think there's a couple reasons that the Steelers did not do anything during the trade deadline this year one of them being that they almost never do. But the other reason is i dont think they wanted to add anyone that they would inmediately have to resign to a long term contract. We are going to head into the offseason with a decent amount of cap space available to us. I believe that something is gonna be done about Dupree's cap #. We'll resign Foster, he has earned it. We are gonna have the ability to make some free agency improvements should Colbert see the opportunity to do so.

what will be done about dupree's cap#? He has the 5th year option and if they keep him that $9M+ right there. He has improved a bit so this could be a decision that favours the draft pick. He made some plays (safety in the browns game) I see us out of cap space as always next year.  Trades this deadline would be to help the team win now, but maybe colbert doesn't think as such.  If he signs jenkins after the giants were to release him say for 30% less, then some would say it's a good move. To me, winning now is a better move, because 31 teams (other than the champs) always say "next year".

I do think Bud Dupree is at risk of being released. His level of play doesnt justify a $9M pricetag. Ramon Foster will be resigned. I expect Pouncey to be restructured. There may be other restructures. I dont think DHB or Hunter will be retained. Its being speculated we could be looking at close to $20M cap space. Now i assume thats before resignings but still that should leave us with enough to get another addiition on defense somewhere. 

I actually think the best move with Dupree (if he doesn't get hurt) would be to do a 1- or 2-year extension that takes the $9mil and puts it over the 2- 3- year period.  About $3.5mil per year and maybe transition him to a backup position is a good rate.

49 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I actually think the best move with Dupree (if he doesn't get hurt) would be to do a 1- or 2-year extension that takes the $9mil and puts it over the 2- 3- year period.  About $3.5mil per year and maybe transition him to a backup position is a good rate.

Yeah, he definitely shouldn't be paid like a top flight pass rusher, but he still has a place on the team. I like this idea.

Bud has played pretty well this year. He will get the Sean Davis treatment, though, because people will never be able to forget how underwhelming he's been. It will take 2 years of above average play to make people forget that he was pretty bad before this year. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

how is this possible when he has the 5th year option ? Don't they have to pay him the 5th year option if he is here?  I'm still waiting for Adeyini to be activated and see how that goes, because they should find out now instead of waiting until next year .  Plus they should have depth at OLB , so 3 OLB's that can start and if dupree was to leave they need to replace him either in UFA (Ray for example) or the draft (Smith for example) .

If they have $20M and restructure a few deals  maybe they get to $30M and that should allow a good corner for CB1/CB1b  . If they were to sign a vet OLB, then RD1 pick could be on a CB as well but I would prefer a proven pro ready to not only start but improve the D on opening day.

They better not draft another QB or WR early .  If Bell leaves (yeah, "if" :$ ) I would consider AP for RB2 if he is available because the price won't be high and he can play  as well as mentor Connor .

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, he definitely shouldn't be paid like a top flight pass rusher, but he still has a place on the team. I like this idea.

Bud has played pretty well this year. He will get the Sean Davis treatment, though, because people will never be able to forget how underwhelming he's been. It will take 2 years of above average play to make people forget that he was pretty bad before this year. 

Yeah,  I agree with this.  Dupree hasn’t been nearly as bad as some make him out to be.  I doubt he goes anywhere.  I really think he ends up playing on the 5th year option and has another average to above average season and they resign him.  BC they aren’t getting another OLB in FA and would have to groom a replacement from the draft.

47 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

Yeah,  I agree with this.  Dupree hasn’t been nearly as bad as some make him out to be.  I doubt he goes anywhere.  I really think he ends up playing on the 5th year option and has another average to above average season and they resign him.  BC they aren’t getting another OLB in FA and would have to groom a replacement from the draft.

He's a good cog in our overall defense. He's not a world beater but he fits in well as part of the overall "machine."

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He's a good cog in our overall defense. He's not a world beater but he fits in well as part of the overall "machine."

I wouldn't say good, more like serviceable  or decent  and relies more on scheme than defeating the person opposite of him. That in itself creates issues for the D. It's always better to have a player that can line up and defeat the opponent 1 on1 

Archived