Trades you want this year

3rivers

15 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

This has been covered a few time, so we will let it rest for now anyways. Lets hope everyone has a good season an that includes the coaches and HC in making the right personnel decisions and see how this season plays out.  I don't expect bell to return until after the trade deadline either

Well, sorry...the explanations/arguments for wanting to trade Dupree have been incomplete, as far as I am concerned. sliding others 'out of positions' to cover the hole, is not wise, having Chickillo as our only viable back--up, isn't wise, and bringing in a pre-season hero isn't going to cover it, either. I agree we need another OLB in here--trading Dupree to get it done is NOT the right answer, as far as I'm concerned, especially, and OLB that is actually making strides/headway at getting better--something JJ never did. So giving up on a guy that is actually improving, and not breaking the bank, makes little sense to me, when the REAL problem is clear as day--fix the coaching, first.  THEN, if he doesn't improve, you can start talking about trading him, because you are going to get $.50 on the Dollar for him, so not only are you giving up on our 2015 1st Rd pick...a 25 YO, no less, when most from his draft class are at least 27.

Your solution is to fix the symptom; I'm suggesting we fix the root cause, because once we do that, just imagine how good TJ can be, and by extension, Dupree.

Well, I'm going to backtrack a little bit on what I said...meaning, and I don't know how it works, but since we offered the 5th year option at $9M, he either needs to be starting, or playing for someone else.  If we are paying $9M for a back-up, then that's a serious problem.  

My point basically is this; let him finish this season, and see how he does. If he continues to improve, and they are comfortable with him as a starter next year that will be an impact OLB, then great. If not, then again, get rid of the 'problem', not the 'symptom' and get a halfway decent OLB coach in here. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a former LB Coach, say, within the past 7 years or so, who was successful, was promoted to DC, then was let go, for whatever reason, and is out there looking for work. If that 'guy' doesn;t exist, there are over, what 150 college football programs out there that likely have a high-level LB Coach who would just LOVE a chance at the big leagues!!

TJ Watt is too inconsistent; that's not on him. He has the motor--he just needs a capable coach to show him some new tricks; this will likely be a big boon to Dupree's game as well.

2 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Well, I'm going to backtrack a little bit on what I said...meaning, and I don't know how it works, but since we offered the 5th year option at $9M, he either needs to be starting, or playing for someone else.  If we are paying $9M for a back-up, then that's a serious problem.  

My point basically is this; let him finish this season, and see how he does. If he continues to improve, and they are comfortable with him as a starter next year that will be an impact OLB, then great. If not, then again, get rid of the 'problem', not the 'symptom' and get a halfway decent OLB coach in here. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a former LB Coach, say, within the past 7 years or so, who was successful, was promoted to DC, then was let go, for whatever reason, and is out there looking for work. If that 'guy' doesn;t exist, there are over, what 150 college football programs out there that likely have a high-level LB Coach who would just LOVE a chance at the big leagues!!

TJ Watt is too inconsistent; that's not on him. He has the motor--he just needs a capable coach to show him some new tricks; this will likely be a big boon to Dupree's game as well.

I agree with that.  Here's my issue with Dupree, has he been terrible? Not this year, perhaps not.  Has he been the type of player talent we should expect from a guy taken 4 years ago in the first round? HELL NO, not even close, what we're getting from him, imo, if i put a round value on it, is of someone I would have expected to be drafted in the 5th round or later.  

At $9M/year, I agree he needs to be playing somewhere else.  I don't see how he all the sudden makes the leap from mediocre player (which is what he is) to all pro starter (which is nearer to what he should be by now).   He should never have been given the 5th year option imo, he did NOTHING to earn it.  

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with that.  Here's my issue with Dupree, has he been terrible? Not this year, perhaps not.  Has he been the type of player talent we should expect from a guy taken 4 years ago in the first round? HELL NO, not even close, what we're getting from him, imo, if i put a round value on it, is of someone I would have expected to be drafted in the 5th round or later.  

At $9M/year, I agree he needs to be playing somewhere else.  I don't see how he all the sudden makes the leap from mediocre player (which is what he is) to all pro starter (which is nearer to what he should be by now).   He should never have been given the 5th year option imo, he did NOTHING to earn it.  

this is the reason I thought of trading him, because if he gets hurt and can't get a clean bill of health next training camp, we have to pay him the 5th year, so that is a bit of cap space for either a player that isn't worth it or isn't healthy . Bad move colbert

14 hours ago, wwhickok said:

C'mon...that's really stretching it.  He's playing on par with someone that was selected in the 2nd-3rd Rd, but he's improving.

And look at Myles Garrett...the next 'coming' of Julius Peppers or Chandler Jones...yeah...not so much.

And heck, we don't need to even go beyond his draft class to see that he's matching up fairly well to those taken ahead of him, or one pick after him. Fowler, Beasley, Ray?? I'd say, we've got the best of the bunch.  Doesn't change the fact that he's 'under-performing...I'm not saying that. But my belief/opinion still stands. Until we fix the issue(s) that are holding back his development, well, sadly, we can expect to continue to see the same thing.

This probably is unrealistic but I'm going to throw it out there anyway instead of seeking a draft pick for Le'Veon Bell maybe it would be wise to consider trading him to the Miami Dolphins who's staple of running backs aren't exactly amazing. In exchange I'm sure we could acquire a defensive player in addition to DeVante Parker who I think would fit very nicely in our offense

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Dear lord. I feel like we could have Von Miller and Khalil Mack and some people would find a way to complain about them. 

Not at all. Miller and Khalil lived up to the hype.  I dont understand why people are acting like its unreasonable to call Dupree a 1st round bust, because that is exactly what he is.

On 2018-10-21 at 11:29 AM, wwhickok said:

Not at all. Miller and Khalil lived up to the hype.  I dont understand why people are acting like its unreasonable to call Dupree a 1st round bust, because that is exactly what he is.

agree, and I don't know why people defend RD1 busts.  Facts are to run the 3-4 at a high level you need players like Harrison, Woodley, Miller, Ware, Houston, Mack etc, and we don't have that. We have Watt, who has promise and everyone is good with that, but there is a drop-off with dupree and neither is near what the aforementioned are, so consider the overall difference . Watt stays, dupree had his chances for years now, he has to go as long as the player replacing him is better.  I think once Adeyini gets to play, its over for dupree.  Sutton Smith in the draft and or maybe shane ray if he is healthy and the price is decent on a 1 year deal.  

We cant afford what itll cost, we wouldnt be willing even if we could.

I get its partly the only thing the Players can do, but the fact Bell is able to holdout until after the trade deadline is a load of crap. He is, almost certainly gonna show up right after the deadline.

He shouldnt get a single snap all season.

Archived