The Pettine Question...

Green19

I know this might seem very premature, given the 2-1-1 record... but with how McCarthy’s contact looks to be almost year to year (they extended it a year so he wasn’t a lame duck coach this season), what is the potential Pettine is the next HC of the Packers?

I ask because if he turns around the defense (as early signs point to), GB isn’t going to want to let that walk out the door. Granted it could be a Bears situation where he stays on and they get a new HC but no one can guarantee that. The guarantee to keep Pettine’s scheme is to keep him and the easiest way for that is to make him a great offer, meaning HC.

Also he seems to have an eye for OC talent... he hired Kyle in Cleveland.

Just food for thought and discussion.

He (Pettine) is on record about how he didn't enjoy himself when he was the Browns head coach. What he wasn't happy with, was how much of his job involved things not related to directing things on the field, schemes, coaching. As Cheesehawk said, he didn't want to do the head coach thing again.

That was the main reason he came back as DC, because that is what he enjoys. Therefore I don't think he is really on the cards as a future Packers head coach, unless he has a change of heart. I'm guessing you want a change in head coach, but maybe you need to look elsewhere for your shiny new toy. 

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

He (Pettine) is on record about how he didn't enjoy himdelf when he was the Browns head coach. What he wasn't happy with, was how much of his job involved things not related to directing things on the field, schemes, coaching. As Cheesehawk said, he didn't want to do the head coach thing again.

That was the main reason he came back as DC, because that is what he enjoys. Therefore I don't think he is really on the cards as a future Packers head coach, unless he has a change of heart. I'm guessing you want a change in head coach, but maybe you need to look elsewhere for your shiny new toy. 

Not at all... I’m just looking at the tea leaves. The Packers aren’t sold on McCarthy. If they were they wouldn’t just do a year extension. McCarthy is on a prove it deal.

My point is if Pettine becomes the architect of establishing this defense as something... Green Bay can’t knowing let him walk. It would just be starting over on defense. With Rodgers I don’t know if they can.

I know what Pettine said at his press conference... but he was the HC of the Browns. I’m sure that would test anyone’s love for the game. I’m willing to bet he’d take the job if offered.

Im just saying with the uncertainty with McCarthy... makes Pettine’s future interesting.

Not that I agree on the Pettine thing but it does seem like if Gute was sold on having McCarthy as his dude he'd have extended him.  I mean they do still have the rest of the year and entire offseason to work on something so it's not like it's urgent but he's a SB winning HC who has been here for 12 years so the delay does make it seem like an audition of sorts for the new GM.  It's not like Gute is unfamiliar with him or something like if a new GM came in from outside.

1 hour ago, Cheesehawk said:

Pretty certain Pettine is on record as enjoying his role as DC and doesnt have any desire to be a HC again.

That may be true, but what kind of a football coach is going to turn down a shot to be the head coach a Green Bay Packers team led by Aaron Rodgers?

23 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

That may be true, but what kind of a football coach is going to turn down a shot to be the head coach a Green Bay Packers team led by Aaron Rodgers?

I don't want to offer a guy who says he doesn't want to do it again a job. Just putting this out there lol

13 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

The guy that said he was miserable as head coach.

Look not to trash Cleveland or the browns... but it was Cleveland and the Browns.

Losing does that. If he feels like this is a great situation, with a hall of fame QB.... his opinion might be different.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Look not to trash Cleveland or the browns... but it was Cleveland and the Browns.

Losing does that. If he feels like this is a great situation, with a hall of fame QB.... his opinion might be different.

“I always made the comparison of going from being the teacher to now you’re the principal. As a coordinator [you’re] 90 percent football and 10 percent administrative stuff. That essentially flipped and I didn’t like it.” - Pettine

7 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

“I always made the comparison of going from being the teacher to now you’re the principal. As a coordinator [you’re] 90 percent football and 10 percent administrative stuff. That essentially flipped and I didn’t like it.” - Pettine

“I thought I would never leave SC. It was a perfect situation, and I loved it. Everything was formatted the way I wanted to do it. I had tremendous freedom and support.” - Pete Carroll

What’s your point? People say stuff all the time they go back on. Pettine felt like that when he took the job here. Next offseason Gute and Murphy are offering him the HC job... his opinion can be very different.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

“I thought I would never leave SC. It was a perfect situation, and I loved it. Everything was formatted the way I wanted to do it. I had tremendous freedom and support.” - Pete Carroll

What’s your point? People say stuff all the time they go back on it. Pettine felt like that when he took the job here. Next offseason Gute and Murphy are offering him the HC job... his opinion can be very different.

Right.... because Carroll didn't bounce from USC after he was responsible for a two year postseason ban. Carroll outran the forest fire there. Completely different scenario. I get what you're saying, a different environment can change your perspective of things. But you can't make a man enjoy something he fundamentally doesn't find fulfillment in. 

1 minute ago, Cheesehawk said:

Right.... because Carroll didn't bounce from USC after he was responsible for a two year postseason ban. Carroll outran the forest fire there. Completely different scenario. I get what you're saying, a different environment can change your perspective of things. But you can't make a man enjoy something he fundamentally doesn't find fulfillment in. 

True and if that is honestly the case then Pettine isn’t the guy. But my point is the reason he hated being principal was because he was principal of a terrible school with a terrible superintendent, in a terrible district.

He had fun as a defensive coordinator and won a lot of games with Rex. I’m not surprised he longed for THAT feeling. He goes a year in Green Bay... sees how it is run. Being principal of THAT school, might seem like a lot of fun.

Archived