The Pettine Question...

Green19

I think we should also make Reggie White our WRs coach. I don't know if he's ever said he wanted to coach and I'm doubtful he knows anything about receiving but we're the Green Bay Packers so I'm pretty sure it's his dream job, can't see a way he would say no.

3 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

I think we should also make Reggie White our WRs coach. I don't know if he's ever said he wanted to coach and I'm doubtful he knows anything about receiving but we're the Green Bay Packers so I'm pretty sure it's his dream job, can't see a way he would say no.

I hate to be the one to break this to you but..... He dead. 

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just make a ******* Fire McCarthy thread and get it over with.

This is the second thread this week tip toeing around it.

If I wanted to make that thread I wouldn’t tip toe around it ?. I have no emotional attachment to these people that would keep me from discussing those topic if I felt strongly about it.

THIS topic assumes he is fired by seasons end. As stated given his contract structure... his deal is a year to year prove it. What does he need to achieve to keep his job? Hard to say, only Murphy and Gute know that. But ask yourselves what would it take for you to extend McCarthy multiple years? Because maybe McCarthy doesn’t want to keep doing year to year deals. So in this case it’s better to assume the field instead of betting on McCarthy... so with that this thread assumes McCarthy is getting close to done, outside of a Super Bowl win.

Now it’s a discussion on what’s the temperature in the room for Pettine as the next HC? Want him to be the HC to finish off Rodgers career? If not is everyone comfortable with a 3rd DC in as many years and pushing the defense rebuild back another year? Is a defensive minded coach the best fit moving forward in this assumed future, or keep with what is proven with an offensive minded HC?

My personal stand point is if you are trying to maximize Rodgers moving forward  the play is defense (ala Peyton Manning at the end). And once you transition from Rodgers is when you likely blow everything up and get a QB minded HC and OC. 

22 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

of the  old Cleveland Browns...

Because it was mostly administrative nonsense as opposed to hands on coaching, something that isn't different between Cleveland and Green Bay.

I do think Pettine will likely end up a Head Coach again, in five years once he's gotten settled and the money becomes ridiculous. 

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because it was mostly administrative nonsense as opposed to hands on coaching, something that isn't different between Cleveland and Green Bay.

I do think Pettine will likely end up a Head Coach again, in five years once he's gotten settled and the money becomes ridiculous. 

Look, I don't think Pettine will be  the Packers next HC, or even want him to be... but if you guys honestly believe he, or any other coordinator, would turn down the GB HC job with Rodgers, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for sale.

27 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Look, I don't think Pettine will be  the Packers next HC, or even want him to be... but if you guys honestly believe he, or any other coordinator, would turn down the GB HC job with Rodgers, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for sale.

I think you underestimate how horrible sitting in the big chair is

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think you underestimate how horrible sitting in the big chair is

I think you underestimate how much one's ego and a chance at power, fame, and money can impact people.  

You think being a politician isn't horrible most of the time? Why do people aspire for it? Sure isn't the pay for most of them.

51 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think you underestimate how much one's ego and a chance at power, fame, and money can impact people.  

You think being a politician isn't horrible most of the time? Why do people aspire for it? Sure isn't the pay for most of them.

Yes it can impact people.

BUT, if you have already tried the big chair, and found you hate it, and all that will goes with it (which will apply on any team).............and then after a time-out you have gone back to what you DID enjoy, why repeat your mistake again ? Remember what Rex Ryan said about Pettine, "He's the smartest guy in the room - and I don't care who else is in that room, he's the smartest".  Doesn't sound like a guy who is going to repeat a mistake.

To me this 'Pettine for head coach' thing, is like Cindarella's ugly sisters trying on the glass slipper. It doesn't fit.....even if some people want it to.

27 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm not saying it's Impossible, but I think the comments about needing to step away from football for a while after that experience says a lot about where he's at. 

Archived