It's that time of the year again. Worst loss in team history talk time.

TecmoSuperJoe

2011 Divisional at San Fran.  That loss is tougher than other playoff losses because the game was so close at the end, and most Saints fans genuinely thought we had a chance at the Super Bowl that year.  It's tougher than last years loss, because few of us expected to win that game, and even fewer thought we had a chance at the super bowl.  Same with 2006, I don't think anybody expected us to beat the Bears at Chicago.

What makes the 2011 loss tougher also was how badly we played and still had a chance at the end.  We also caught some bad breaks like Pierre Thomas getting knocked out and fumbling on the five yard line first drive of the game.

8 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Whew, this thread is bringing back some painful memories.

The 2000 lost to the Ravens has already been mention but the 2008 lost to them hurt pretty bad too.

It felt like ok, this is the year. Went 13-3, including the 10-0 start. Brady got hurt, which opened the door wide open in the AFC. Our defense was legit, run game was legit, and Kerry Collins was playing just well enough to believe we could go to the Super Bowl. If we're ever going to win, this is the year was my mentality.

Division round game against the Ravens comes and everything just goes wrong. "The Fat Boys" Lendale White and Alge Crumpler both had critical fumbles, our most dynamic and important offensive weapon Chris Johnson got hurt and the refs missed a huge delay of game on the Ravens late in the game.

Had we won we would have faced the Steelers, who we beat a few weeks prior in week 16, 31-14.

It's taken almost 10 years for the franchise to recover from that lost. 

2008 doesn't compare to 2000 for me cause I never felt we were the best team in the league in 2008.  We just had a surprise start and good season.  I never felt a Kerry Collins led team would go anywhere.

In 2000, you couldn't tell me we weren't the best team.  And I also had way more faith in Steve McNair as our QB.

25 minutes ago, VanS said:

2008 doesn't compare to 2000 for me cause I never felt we were the best team in the league in 2008.  We just had a surprise start and good season.  I never felt a Kerry Collins led team would go anywhere.

In 2000, you couldn't tell me we weren't the best team.  And I also had way more faith in Steve McNair as our QB.

Yeah, they both hurt for different reasons for me. Like you said, that 2000 team was, imo the best Titans team in franchise history. Them not being able to win it all (plus the way they went out), stings to this day.

08 hurt for a different reason. It felt like that season was the best chance we were going to get in a long time. So many things went our way that season, that it felt like we had to take advantage. Most Titans fans knew that this was the best Kerry Collins we were going to see (plus the uncertainty around Vince Young at the time). Albert Haynesworth was an impending free agent, so who knew how good our defense would remain if we lost him. Plus to add the cherry on top, it was the one year the Patriots didn't have Brady. When we lost in 08, I felt like that was the best chance we'll have in a while (which turned out to be true).

Even with the 2000 team, we still had some quality teams afterwards(clearly not as good but the 02 and 03 squad weren't too shabby). The 08 lost ended leading up to the "Depression Years" of the Titans.

2 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Yeah, they both hurt for different reasons for me. Like you said, that 2000 team was, imo the best Titans team in franchise history. Them not being able to win it all (plus the way they went out), stings to this day.

08 hurt for a different reason. It felt like that season was the best chance we were going to get in a long time. So many things went our way that season, that it felt like we had to take advantage. Most Titans fans knew that this was the best Kerry Collins we were going to see (plus the uncertainty around Vince Young at the time). Albert Haynesworth was an impending free agent, so who knew how good our defense would remain if we lost him. Plus to add the cherry on top, it was the one year the Patriots didn't have Brady. When we lost in 08, I felt like that was the best chance we'll have in a while (which turned out to be true).

Even with the 2000 team, we still had some quality teams afterwards(clearly not as good but the 02 and 03 squad weren't too shabby). The 08 lost ended leading up to the "Depression Years" of the Titans.

Fair enough.  For me the thing that sucks the most in sports is knowing you're the best team and not winning versus missing what is a good chance to win.  You are right 2008 was a nice opportunity.  That was an unimpressive year all-around in the NFL.  Arizona had that miracle run to the Super Bowl and the Steelers team that won it all certainly didn't feel special.  However, nothing sucks worse than knowing you have the best team in the sport and a team that could probably play with most great teams historically and still losing.

Maybe it was just me, but I never once thought we would lose in 2000 during the lead up to that Ravens game.  That is what made the result so jarring.  I was young back then so maybe it was youthful ignorance.  But I never considered the possibility before that day that you could be the best team in the league for an entire season and still not win the championship.

I'll do the Saints

2011 Season- Alex Smith to Vernon Davis.  Maybe the most painful Saints loss ever.  Probably the best Saints offense ever and Drew Brees at his ultimate best.  They came back but the D couldn't stop anything on those last few Niners' drives.  They were a Mark Ingram one yard rush from beating GB (best NFC record) in Week 1 and Brees could've beat Eli in the Superdome so this team could've gone to the Super Bowl.

2017 Season- Stefon Diggs- Maybe the most well rounded Saints team ever.  They came back but one bad play by Marcus Williams.  Brees would've fared better at Philly in the NFC Championship.

2010 Season- Marshawn Lynch.  They just won the Super Bowl and heavily favored against 7-9 Seattle but embarrassed in the fourth quarter by Beastquake.  They were still good but not quite sure they would've beat Green Bay that year.

Used to always be the 2008 Divisional game against the Cardinals where Jake Delhomme imploded. Then we gave him an extension afterward... we were huge favorites at home and just completely blew it to a team who was pretty bad outside of their division.

Though it might be SB50 now. I actually went to the game. Had a bad feeling before kickoff even started considering the stadium was 80% orange. Then we were somehow flagged more times than we had been in five years... and then we fumbled more times than we had in more than five years... and then Denver wasn't flagged the entire second half... and then CJ Anderson scored the dagger as his family sat in front of me, who were all on their hands and knees sobbing. Ref later says the Cotchery "drop" would have been ruled a catch after a challenge if it were initially called that way. Very next play is the sack-fumble-TD. Knew the game was over right then even though it was in the first quarter. Just wasn't gonna be our day despite being perhaps the most complete team in years. Oh well.

9 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Yeah it's this and the Cundiff/Lee Evans game.

At least the Evans/Cundiff game was in the AFCCG. Maybe that makes it worse for you, but we had won a game at least already. The 2006 loss is worse for me because we had the 1st round bye and just  looked so limp offensively. 

2 minutes ago, game3525 said:

2006 divisional playoff game against NE by far. If they get past NE that year, they win the Super Bowl and they would still be in San Diego today. 

I've all the nightmarish losses the Chargers have had over the years nothing tops this game. So many things had to go wrong for a team stacked with 11 pro bowlers and the MVP

Marty going away from the MVP who was killing the Patriots with over 130 in first half to hand it to 1st year starting Rivers.

Reche Caldwell catching that crucial catch. 

Marlon McCree making the worst play ever.

Marty's stupid penalty that cost us

I know we would beat the Colts had we not choked against N.E and I don't think Rex Grossman could do much against our defense either. You're right too if we win the chip that year no way we don't have stadium in mission valley now.

Archived