Jump to content
DreamKid

GDT Week 5: Baltimore Ravens vs Cleveland Browns

Recommended Posts

Everyone seems to be expecting Tyus Bowser to get more snaps, but I just don't see it. This coaching staff has done everything in their power to do the opposite of that. I expect Bowser to get his usual 5-10 defensive snaps and they'll just increase Suggs/Judon and call it a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Everyone seems to be expecting Tyus Bowser to get more snaps, but I just don't see it. This coaching staff has done everything in their power to do the opposite of that. I expect Bowser to get his usual 5-10 defensive snaps and they'll just increase Suggs/Judon and call it a day.

FWIW, I think Bowser is perfectly suited to help neutralize some of Mayfield's strengths.  He's long an quick, which is great for chasing him around when he moves/leaves the pocket.  Additionally, he's fairly well suited for occasionally sneaking back into coverage, which will help interrupt shorter to intermediate throwing lanes (Mayfield has a very quick release and will look to get the ball out fast).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Better than last year definitely, but I think calling the Browns a really good opponent is a STRETTTTCHHHH

I don't see many flaws on that roster tbh.

If they clinch those early wins, I believe everyone would view them in a different light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Danand said:

I don't see many flaws on that roster tbh.

If they clinch those early wins, I believe everyone would view them in a different light.

Yes, if a team won more games then people would think more highly of them ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sp6488 said:

Yes, if a team won more games then people would think more highly of them ;)

Unless you are the Miami Dolphins.

But feel free to elaborate where you see the flaws on Browns roster and then compare it to other rosters in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Danand said:

Unless you are the Miami Dolphins.

But feel free to elaborate where you see the flaws on Browns roster and then compare it to other rosters in the league.

My most recent response to you was tounge-in-cheek, for the record.

As far as the team as a whole, they are 1-2-1 with their only win thus far coming against a rookie QB-led Jets team at home on TNF.  More specifically, on offense they have a rookie signal caller (albeit the #1 pick), start a UDFA at LT, and I'm not particularly impressed with their WR core.  They have a nice stable of RB and a promising TE.  On defense, I'm not impressed by their interior line.  Garret and Ogbah are nice.  Their LBs are OK and their secondary is pretty much potential only with a lack of depth.

By the numbers, despite having a respectable amount of points for, they have the 7th worst mark for yards per play.  FO has them as one of the least efficient offenses in the league.  On defense, they have given up the 11th most points.  They have a respectable yards per play mark (middle of the pack).  They are leading in the TO department.  FO really likes them from an efficiency standpoint.  Obviously their ST has been bad.

Again, they are certainly improved from last season, but I would not call them "really good."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not getting the concern over this match up. It will just be a more one sided version of the Broncos game imo. 

Baker will do a bunch of Rookie stuff. As he has done in every other game, cause he's a Rookie. Our defense will capitalize, as they usually do against Rookie QBs. Easy Work.

It'll be interesting to see how they go about slowing down John Brown. He's cemented himself as a top deep threat in the league this year and DCs have to account for him at this point.

I'm anticipating a lot of work for our TEs in this one too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sp6488 said:

My most recent response to you was tounge-in-cheek, for the record.

As far as the team as a whole, they are 1-2-1 with their only win thus far coming against a rookie QB-led Jets team at home on TNF.  More specifically, on offense they have a rookie signal caller (albeit the #1 pick), start a UDFA at LT, and I'm not particularly impressed with their WR core.  They have a nice stable of RB and a promising TE.  On defense, I'm not impressed by their interior line.  Garret and Ogbah are nice.  Their LBs are OK and their secondary is pretty much potential only with a lack of depth.

By the numbers, despite having a respectable amount of points for, they have the 7th worst mark for yards per play.  FO has them as one of the least efficient offenses in the league.  On defense, they have given up the 11th most points.  They have a respectable yards per play mark (middle of the pack).  They are leading in the TO department.  FO really likes them from an efficiency standpoint.  Obviously their ST has been bad.

Again, they are certainly improved from last season, but I would not call them "really good."

That UDFA LT didn't go undrafted due to a lack of talent. He's played like a rookie, but has been more good than bad so far this year. 

Our WRs definitely struggled last week. Landy, Callaway, and Higgins are all capable of playing well. But Callaway has been an inconsistent so far his rookie year - he's made his faire share of both good plays and bad plays. The TE you mention, David Njoku, has actually been pretty disappointing this season. The talent is definitely there, but he has suspect hands and is a liability as a blocker.

I'm guessing you haven't paid much attention to Larry Ogunjobi at DT. He's been great this year and has been one of our better players overall.

Depth at CB looks to be an issue, so I agree with you there. Guys like Ward and Randall have played very well so far, though. And Peppers looks better than he did last year, unsurprisingly since he was played totally out of position last season.

21 of those points last week were given up due to a pick six, and two fumbles that occurred deep in our territory. The defense ultimately did let us down, but they weren't as bad as the score would indicate.

Overall, we could easily have a better record than we do. But truly good teams find ways to win, so we still have a ton to prove. Our ST has hurt us in every single game so far this season, and I'm sure that will be the case again this week. And I and many other Browns fans have seriously questioned some of the decisions made by the coaches. With better coaching, this team likely has at least one or two more wins than they currently have.

I'm looking forward to this game. Going against the Baltimore defense is going to be a huge test for Baker making his second start. I think you guys will win, but hopefully we keep it competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I'm looking forward to this game. Going against the Baltimore defense is going to be a huge test for Baker making his second start. I think you guys will win, but hopefully we keep it competitive.

Even if he has a bad day, which I think he will, don't overreact to it. Rarely do Rookie QBs do much of anything against strong defenses. I don't see the games this year being competitive. The Skeleton is there though. Just gotta keep fleshing it out.

You could do a lot worse then Harrison, Myles, Ward, Avery, Chubb, Baker, LO, Callaway, Landry, Bitonio etc. This last class looks strong for you guys too. Couple guys who have to keep their head straight, but overall the core is there. Way more real talent in the pipeline than pittsburgh. Hopefully you guys get a better coach and continue on the right path. It's always better to have strong teams within the division to battle against imo. I'm sure Baker will start attracting some higher tiered FAs too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DawgX said:

guessing you haven't paid much attention to Larry Ogunjobi at DT. He's been great this year and has been one of our better players overall.

I’m aware of him. I think he plays way too many snaps and I don’t think you go deep enough at the position group to be considered a great unit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trap game? Closer than we think? As I look in the sports bible of the Baltimore Ravens, I go to the book of Weddle verse 32. And I quote

"It ain't the same Ravens"

I think the world of Baker Mayfield and I'm angry at T-Mobile for starting the clock on him earlier than I wanted. But he gonna learn early why this ain't the same Ravens. We are going to go into the Factory of Sadness and make sure it stays that way. The honorable Hoodie Flacco is a man possessed and will continue to drag them planters against all team in the AFC and eventually the NFC on his way to a Superbowl. We've been playing inspired football and I expect no less come Sunday.

Ravens 30 - Browns 14 (In the first half)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Even if he has a bad day, which I think he will, don't overreact to it. Rarely do Rookie QBs do much of anything against strong defenses. I don't see the games this year being competitive.

Even though he is a rookie at the toughest position, Mayfield's play doesn't even begin to scare me. He doesn't play like a rookie. You may see the 4 turnovers last week and be optimistic going against him but the pick 6 was 0% his fault, the fumbled snap happened as he was directing players and shouldn't have been snapped yet and the last pick was somewhat on him but the receiver couldn't find the ball to make a play on it. The strip during the throw was on him, even though he got it out (or attempted to) in less than 2 seconds. There were 9 drops and receivers falling were the reason for a few more incompletions.

Then again, if we call an offense against you like we normally do, everything will be at or behind the LOS and our offense won't do much of anything. If they let Baker do what he has been doing the offense will move the ball.

Defensively the Browns may struggle. We aren't good against the run and we are down our #2 CB while Flacco has played well this year. Baker will keep it close no matter how many the Ravens score though, assuming we let him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Even though he is a rookie at the toughest position, Mayfield's play doesn't even begin to scare me. He doesn't play like a rookie. You may see the 4 turnovers last week and be optimistic going against him but the pick 6 was 0% his fault, the fumbled snap happened as he was directing players and shouldn't have been snapped yet and the last pick was somewhat on him but the receiver couldn't find the ball to make a play on it. The strip during the throw was on him, even though he got it out (or attempted to) in less than 2 seconds. There were 9 drops and receivers falling were the reason for a few more incompletions.

It isn't so much about Baker being a poor player, I don't think he is. It's about our defense's ability to make him play poorly.

27 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Defensively the Browns may struggle. We aren't good against the run and we are down our #2 CB while Flacco has played well this year. Baker will keep it close no matter how many the Ravens score though, assuming we let him.

If you want to assume Baker won't make any big mistakes, fine. How is he going to lead all these scoring drives though? Who is going to consistently make plays for him against the Raven's talent on defense?

The Raven's have one of the league's top Pass Ds, and we just got back a shutdown corner in Jimmy Smith. I would temper your expectations.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×