Production from 4 TE

sp6488

As we all know, Hayden Hurst is poised to return to action this week.

This is what we have got from the position to date, through four weeks:

Maxx Williams - 12 Tgt/12 Rec/119 Yds (25 long)/0 TD
Mark Andrews - 13 Tgt/10 Rec/119 Yds (30 long)/1 TD
Nick Boyle - 16 Tgt/9 Rec/104 Yds (25 long)/0 TD

It's actually incredibly balanced.

Here's a question, though... Has a team ever had four different TE eclipse 250 receiving yards in the same season?  PFR's play index is amazing, but I don't believe it let's you search for multiple players on a team as a part of a query.

Have no idea about an actual answer to the question, but one would imagine that the most prolific TE duos would be a good place to start the inquiry. We also have to factor in the fact that TEs were quite as featured in the passing game until recently so the chances of old school teams having 2 TEs benefiting from passing productivity, let alone 4 might’ve been highly unlikely.

The only teams I can think of that might have a chance at a stat such as this would be Manning’s Colts with Dallas Clark and co (perhaps a season where Clark has injuries). Bill Belichick’s Gronk/Hernandez teams. Other than that the Chiefs have made use of their TEs historically, perhaps they’ve got a chance. The recent Eagles team seems to use their TEs a lot.

That said, I doubt 4 TEs above 250 yards has ever happened. Though it wouldn’t surprise me if Boyle sees his snaps/reception opportunities greatly reduced when Hurst comes back. Willams seems like the only sure bet (which is funny considering where he was at the start of the season.)

On a human level alone it's great to see Maxx Williams performing. Dude has dealt with injury after injury. We're still probably only seeing the 55% to 65% version of him as a result of those injuries too. We drafted 2 Tight Ends this year, and he responded well with a great attitude and mentality. In all the interviews I saw he was nothing but positive and supportive of his new teammates. 

From a Football perspective if he continues to show up and show out as an all around Tight End/H Back. Then I could absolutely see us giving him a second contract to stick around. He's still young, just turned 24 this year, and is clean off the field. Hurst and Andrews are pretty soft physically. Not mentally soft, but on their tape you frequently see them getting up a little slow or dealing with something. Already we saw Andrews banged up at the start of Camp and practice, now Hurst is just coming back from some extended time. So I see no reason why we shouldn't keep a high end 3rd option around. Maxx's well rounded game brings versatility to our offense. With Andrews being more in the mold of a Pitta, and Hurst a willing but certainly not plus blocker. We need a true in-line option on the roster. Not to mention with how much Joe and Lamar love TEs, it'll be wise to always roster a fair amount.

It's still early but things are looking good for Maxx and us.

It's a stretch to fathom 4 TEs being active on a consistent basis let alone put up those kind of numbers overall. I think someone is going to get pushed aside when Hurst returns. Probably Andrews, not that I want it to happen. The team has a thing for Boyle and Williams takes snaps in too many different roles to cut him out of the offense. 

13 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

It's a stretch to fathom 4 TEs being active on a consistent basis let alone put up those kind of numbers overall. I think someone is going to get pushed aside when Hurst returns. Probably Andrews, not that I want it to happen. The team has a thing for Boyle and Williams takes snaps in too many different roles to cut him out of the offense. 

The thing worth mentioning is that with Smith coming back I’m sure our TEs can be made useful by playing on special teams as blockers and on kickoff teams as they have good size. It wouldn’t surprise me if Andrews and Boyle are use there so that they maintain their activate status when Hurst comes back.

Whats more, with how fragile all of our TEs seem to be I’m sure one will get an injury at some point and the others will fill in for him.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

The thing worth mentioning is that with Smith coming back I’m sure our TEs can be made useful by playing on special teams as blockers and on kickoff teams as they have good size. It wouldn’t surprise me if Andrews and Boyle are use there so that they maintain their activate status when Hurst comes back.

Whats more, with how fragile all of our TEs seem to be I’m sure one will get an injury at some point and the others will fill in for him.

We could also alternate week to week based on matchups and sets were looking to run. 

I sort of wish we had kept Cyrus Jones as he would have given us a reserve NB as well as a returner. Could have saved a roster spot, or at least a game day active slot. 

Archived