Game Day Thread: week 5 Broncos at Jets

thebestever6

1st Quarter Notes

-          We come out 4 WR, 1 RB and the Jets match with their Nickel. Jets move their FS (Maye) down to cover DT, who runs a flat route which even negates the positive matchup for us

-          I noted last week that we saw Paradis left 1v1 vs the Chiefs NT all game, allowing quicker 2nd level blocks by our Guards. The Jets NT (McLendon) is a BIG dude; first running play we double him with Paradis and Leary and as soon as Paradis peels for the 2nd level block, McLendon whips Leary to stuff the run play for a 2 yard gain

-          The 30 yard run by Lindsay on the 1st drive actually featured both Royce and Lindsay in the backfield, one either side of Case in the shotgun. Not seen that this year so far. Royce plays FB on the outside zone. Great seal by McGovern, kick out by Turner, 2nd level block by Paradis and cut by Lindsay. Can’t draw it up better than that

IHKPze.jpg

-          We run the exact same alignment the next play, this time motioning Lindsay across the formation to the right. Lindsay is left all alone but Case doesn’t look his way. Sheldon Williams destroys a McGovern/Paradis double team to force the incompletion

-          3rd and 6 and the Jets play the exact same way as the Chiefs – 2 man under coverage with press on the outside. No problems with Case here. He locks in on Sanders (I would too on 3rd and 6 and man coverage across the board), but the pass is incomplete via a drop/slight PBU. Jets rush 4 with 2 games. One on the right side of our line is just about handled, but Bolles doesn’t read it on the left and Anderson (DT on 3rd down) gets in Case’s face prior to the throw

-          That 1st Waldman punt was terrible. May as well risk a touchback rather than kick the thing out of bounds at the 18

-          Great seal block by Heuerman on the 12 yard Lindsay run following the Jets fumble. Him and Turner on the same page on that run (loved seeing Sutton celebrate the run too – takes pride in his blocking that boy)

-          1st and 9 – 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB alignment and we run. Jets play Cover 1 with Jamal Adams in the box; he comes unblocked and makes a play for no gain

-          Nice decision by Case to leave the pocket on the Sutton TD. Pass pro was fine, eventually broke down when Bolles got beat after (another) game but this time by a 330lbs man …

-          Von gambled on 2nd and 10 that it would be pass, and it wasn’t. See the hole left below that lead to an easy 1st down for Crowell. There’s no way the scheme was designed this way, because neither Peko nor Marshall are playing with outside leverage towards Von’s side

clELoR.jpg

-          Von misses a tackle the next play – gains extra 8 yards

-          Like the Chiefs game, we’re matching 3 TE, 1 WR, 1 RB sets with our big Nickel package

-          Marshall is starting in our base 3-4 this game, but Jewell has spelled him already

-          Powell for 15 yards; hard to gauge the fault of this one. Jewell makes the right read as to the intended hole of the run, but it’s an RPO and Davis is in man coverage vs a TE running a route thus his back is to the play. Therefore, Davis isn’t there to fill the gap next to Jewell. I guess you would say that Kerr isn’t protecting his gap, and he shouldn’t allow himself to get walled off like you can see below

LjUJu6.jpg

-          Great burst off the ball by Shane Ray to get vertical and cut across the zone blocking for a 3 yard TFL

-          Marshall and Jewell on the field in our Nickel defense in the redzone

-          Looks like we went Cover 3 on the 3rd down in the redzone, with wide 9 alignments at DE upfront. Interesting that it’s Shelby Harris at DT with Wolfe rather than Gotsis

-          We run back to back HB Counters that have done us well in previous weeks. Jamal Adams plays a part in wrecking both, playing in the box despite us having 3 WRs out there

-          On 3rd and 6 we leave Heuerman and Freeman in to help block. Tells you the faith (or lack thereof) our Coaches show to the OL on 3rd and long. Bolles gets driven right back into Case but he delivers a nice ball to Hamilton for the 1st

-          You can tell the Coaches like Sutton as a blocker, as they run a HB toss to his side. He totally whiffs, as does Janovich and McGovern can’t get out to reach McLendon. 3 yard loss on 1st down

-          Bolles then gets called (correctly) for holding on a ball that came out of Case’s hand within 1.5 seconds of the snap. McGovern loses in the same amount of time to Williams, who beats him to the inside (seen this before from McGovern)

2nd Quarter Notes

-          Wadman’s 2nd punt was somehow worse than the 1st

-          The 77 yard Crowell run is just a comedy of errors. Chubb somehow loses contain whilst 1v1 vs a TE, CHJ takes a terrible angle, Roby ends up on backside from a simple cut and Stewart misses a tackle

-          This is what the Jets think of our ability to throw on 1st down. Both safeties in the box when we are in 3 WR personnel ……. It’s the play that we run a naked bootleg to Heuerman on. It’s a decent playcall in the end, but we are lucky to the ball off

i2JM5U.jpg

-          Case misses Heuerman on a crossing route the next play whilst he was in 1v1 coverage with an ILB. I just don’t understand how a QB can miss a throw where the receiver has nothing but green grass in front of him and there’s 2 yards of separation. Just float it out there for him to catch up to it …. McGovern is trying to call a protection at the snap of the ball and ends up getting bullrushed to the floor next to Case

-          McGovern is getting mullered by Williams in the run game too now. He can’t stay on his block on a zone run to the right, and Williams stuffs Lindsay for a 2 yard gain

-          Jets get really creative on Defense on 3rd and 8. Both ILB’s fall back but the protection still slides to the left. We have it blocked up well numbers wise, but Turner blows his assignment by blocking the blitzing DB from the edge of the formation, not realising he has Booker in the backfield to do that. This leaves Williams as the spare man, and he then runs a game to get further away from a scrambling Turner (blocking nobody). Sack for Williams

BNECkt.jpg

FayNPi.jpg

-          The long TD throw to Anderson is a flat out, horrendous play by Roby. He’s got Stewart in shallow support to the inside, right at the sticks. He just needs to play with outside leverage, off coverage until Anderson gets beyond his help then drift inside with his coverage. He has NO reason to bite on the stutter from Anderson. The Jets leave both of their TE’s inline for max protect. The RT shadows Von vs one TE, but Chubb is 1v1 against the TE to the left and doesn’t do enough with that matchup. He wins, but not anywhere near as decisive as he should on 3rd and 9

-          Next drive Case locks in on Sanders on the throw to the right touchline that is nearly picked off. The design of the play is there so that if the CB runs with Sanders with a Safety over the top, take the checkdown in the flat. The checkdown is wide open for what would be such a simple 1st down – Case ignores. Pass pro is perfect (benefits of throwing on 1st down)

nNHpG2.jpg

-          McGovern gets beat on 3rd and 12 by Anderson which leads to the sack. It’s a rip move to the inside, but it was late enough to afford some time for Case. His read is to the middle of the field where there is nothing doing. Everyone else holds up ok, although Turner did struggle with Williams

-          We’ve all said it before – when Simmons trusts his read, he’s got all the athleticism to be an All Pro Safety. He’s 10 yards off the LOS at the snap which is a run play, and he makes contact with Crowell just 1 yard beyond the LOS. So explosive, we just don’t see it anywhere near enough (he actually made an excellent play on a HB toss earlier in the Quarter where he pursued down the line)

-          Finally a win on 3rd down in pass rush as Von swims inside to get quick pressure and force the early throw from Darnold. Chubb drives the TE (1v1 again) into the backfield. Shane Ray gets absolutely destroyed (pancake in pass pro …) by Brian Winters, who has looked incredible so far

-          Leonard Williams is playing a level above anyone on the field so far. We run a HB toss to the left and he gets vertical instantly. Not much Leary or Paradis can do against that explosion and instant play recognition

-          Poor Case throw to Freeman, forcing him to turn all the way around because the throw is to the wrong hip (they mentioned this in commentary I believe)

-          Jets in Cover 1 on 2nd and 10 and Case makes the kind of throw which you need to make to move the ball in this league. It’s an anticipation, 10 yard out route where the ball is out right as DT is making his out cut. The DB has next to no chance of making a play on the ball, which hits DT perfectly in stride. You can see below when the ball is coming out

9ZeE1Z.jpg

-          Last 3 plays for Case – 3/3 for 67 yards. Three perfect throws against Cover 1 with man coverage beater routes. Pass pro held up perfect on all but the first throw (McLendon came free)

-          Not good enough on Offense to have illegal shift penalties in the redzone

-          The next play Case has Sanders running free in the slot but doesn’t take the shot. The CB is playing outside leverage because he has a Cover 1 Safety inside but he’s never making that play if Case gets it off on time

-          Easily the best drive of the game for our OL, leads to FG with nothing doing on 3rd and 12

-          Have to wonder how key that missed tackle by Peko was when he was in the backfield on 3rd and 1 but couldn’t make the play. Wolfe is playing double teams well in the run game in this game; not been a fan of his this year but he’s playing well in the run game thus far

-          It’s now Shaq Barrett’s turn to crash inside and lose contain. Even worse when you consider he has 2 WR’s in the slot next to him; surely he was reading run to his side?

-          Yiadom beats his block to stop a screen for 5 yards, but misses the tackle and it goes for a further 10 yards. Sums up this drive to be honest

-          The 2nd of the long TD’s to Anderson is a perfect throw. Roby’s in good coverage, he just doesn’t get his head around. Nothing even close to a pass rush; perfect pocket for Darnold

-          Case has to get the ball out on that sack fumble. Nothing wrong with the pass pro

Great work as always @lomaxgrUK

The scary part of the 1H analysis is that while Leonard Williams is an absolute DL beast, 2-3 pass pro problems are occurring with guys like Henry Anderson...who aren't anything special.   Bolles penalty, missed assignment, Turner missed assignment, McGovern same.    I don't fault McGovern for being dominated by Leonard Williams - but it also shows he's a cheap, young G, and that's valuable - but he's probably not ready to step up with the big boy G's, either.   Nothing wrong with that as a min-wage rookie deal guy, though.   But yeah, rough day.

Roby, man after such a good game vs. KC - TOTAL dud.   At least he's showing this now, before Elway compounds the problem and commits 2nd contract $ to him.  Let. him. walk.

The problems Chubb had in setting the edge and his inability to beat guys in pass rush are problematic.  It's not like he's a total bust, far from it - just today, it wasn't a good day.  That's what I saw in game speed - good to see it wasn't just my depressed mood masking my perception by that stage lol.

3rd Quarter Notes

-          First play of the 3rd Q is a 54 yard run by Crowell. Jets go 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB and we match with our Nickel (Yiadom now in for the injured Jones). Wolfe is aligned in the B gap, with Jewell behind him aligned with the LG.

Wolfe tries to split his double team (LT and LG) but in doing so, he drifts towards the A gap. This gives an easy peel block for the LG (Carpenter) when Jewell attacks the LOS. Wolfe must feel the peel, and know that he now needs to play with outside leverage, as Jewell is positioned to his inside. Instead, Wolfe falls to the inside, leaving a massive hole in the B gap.

You can tell Chubb has been bollocked at half time for losing contain by how he plays this run. It’s not his gap to fill, but if he truly dominates the TE at the LOS then he has a chance to make this play too. The fault of this run lies with Darian Stewart, no doubt. He whiffs on a free tackle just 3 yards beyond the LOS. He has to make that play.

1.jpg

-          Nice play by Shane Ray to keep his hands free, eyes on the QB to deflect the pass that Wolfe picked off

-          Our 1st Offensive play of the half and we run the exact same play as the out route to DT from the 2nd Quarter; the one where I said you need to make that throw vs Cover 1 to move the ball on Offense. Another good ball, 18 yard gain

-          We run it AGAIN the next play. This time, the Jets single Safety is shaded towards DT so the CB plays with the correct technique (trail), and cuts under the route. Lucky to not be picked

-          McGovern beaten ridiculously quickly on 3rd down to the inside by Williams again. Connor takes a really big step out and I’ve no idea why. Case has no chance. He tries to escape to his right, but the OLB has taken a really wide arc and he runs straight into the OLB. Turner blocked it perfectly, so no fault of his for the OLB getting the half sack

-          Von loses contain a HB toss that went for 15, but came back for holding away from Von

-          The Jets run a similar route pattern to the one that we ran 3 times so far this game. It’s 3rd and 12 and Roby is matched up with Kearse in the slot. I mentioned that the Jets CB played in underneath trail coverage, because he knew he had Safety help. Roby plays with incorrect technique, with no recognition for the Safety help he has over the top. Look below at how Roby is at the same ‘height’ of the field that Kearse is. He should be a yard beneath him so he undercuts any out route. Top throw by Darnold for sure, but it shouldn’t even have a chance if Roby plays it properly

2.jpg

-          Still impressed with Shelby Harris as a NT. He’s a hard man to move

-          Jets running a lot of shotgun RPO plays to the Weakside of the formation. Same play as earlier where Jewell, again, is in man coverage of the TE but the Jets hand it off. It becomes ‘hat on a hat’ in the box and there’s only one winner. Powell takes is to the right B gap for an easy 16 yards

3.jpg

-          Shaq’s turn (again) to lose contain. Doesn’t feel Winters pulling from RG across the formation and gets knocked on his butt

-          Shelby Harris getting time at DE now to try and sure up our run D

-          We bring 7 on 3rd down and still can’t get quick pressure. Poor throw by Darnold leads to an incompletion

-          Another Turner brain fart leaves a free run for the OLB at Case. Manages to check it down quickly

-          We try the play we ran in the 1st half with Freeman at FB. We don’t double McLendon and Paradis can’t budge him. Freeman doesn’t read the block on Adams who stuffs the play

-          That call on Sutton for the push off is so soft. Massive call in the context of the game. Pass pro held up perfectly against a 6 man pressure

-          Nice read by Von on the naked bootleg, coming back against the grain. Bumps the WR off his route then pressure Darnold to force an incompletion

-          Nice coverage and tackle by Yiadom on 3rd and 5 to force a Punt

-          We go empty in our own endzone, but not a single route goes deeper than 8 yards. Fakest aggression I’ve ever seen

-          Jets are all over our 2nd down, power run game. Too much strength and athleticism in their front 7 (8 including Adams)

-          Nobody open on 3rd and 10. Pass pro is fine, Case stays in, but theres nothing downfield at all

The last point about the 3rd and 10 re-enforces one of my big concerns. Considering how long Case has been holding onto the ball, my #1 question has been whether or not our WRs are getting open and he's just not seeing them, or if they've been pretty well blanketed. Impossible to tell without All-22. To me, if our WRs are not getting open this would be the biggest indictment of Musgrave's offense, because the WR corps should be our strongest group. Then, you see a 49ers, Rams, Bears etc. game and everyone is getting "schemed open" at different times. Frustrating.

Circling Matt LaFleur's name as well as a couple other guys...

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

The last point about the 3rd and 10 re-enforces one of my big concerns. Considering how long Case has been holding onto the ball, my #1 question has been whether or not our WRs are getting open and he's just not seeing them, or if they've been pretty well blanketed. Impossible to tell without All-22. To me, if our WRs are not getting open this would be the biggest indictment of Musgrave's offense, because the WR corps should be our strongest group. Then, you see a 49ers, Rams, Bears etc. game and everyone is getting "schemed open" at different times. Frustrating.

It's definitely been more of Case not finding his guys as opposed to WR's not getting open. You have to factor in Case's height for this in my opinion. It's a lot more difficult to scan the field for your #2, #3 reads when you're only 6ft and bodies are moving everywhere to obstruct your vision. Another reason why Drew Brees is so special ...

Even the best schemes in the world are going to struggle when it is 3rd and 10 from your 3 yard line with a QB that struggles to extend the play. For 99% of the teams in the league that is an incredibly low % conversion to a 1st down.

Personally, I think we should run more man coverage beaters. Trips alignments, crossing routes, etc. We tend to just use the traditional 'levels' concepts (a Peyton Manning staple) which is perfect for a precision route runner like Emmanuel Sanders, but our WR core isn't suited to that considering how young it is.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

If that’s the problem between the 20’s I’d also put the blame on scheme.  But 3rd and 10 deep in your own end the issue is that the playbook is limited to avoid sacks / penalties in your end zone.  That’s part of the fake aggression @lomaxgrUK was referring to.  

It’s also a huge indictment on the lack of faith Keenum (and on our pass pro) that we have to limit the playbook deep in our own end - but it’s what’s routinely done unless you have a great QB.  On the whole our WR’s are getting open far more with Keenum being late / making the wrong read / missing than guys being blanketed so far.  Being pushed to the GL limiting the playbook does create a lot of context there.

One thing lomax is referring to on defence is the edge rushers losing containment - when I was watching the game they seemed to be going balls out for Darnold and forgetting everything else - and this was a problem against the Ravens as well (I only saw extended highlights of the KC game but it seemed to happen there too) - is this the players of is it Woods and Joseph not coaching properly?

Well we are hearing Roby might be 3rd CB if Brock is healthy.  I can’t say I’m optimistic that Brock will be a big upgrade but I get the reasoning after watching Roby’s miserable performance and outside of the KC game, his miseries all year.  

This decision though really surprises me - McGovern has played well (albeit against pretty mediocre competition) before Leonard Williams schooled him.  As a contrast then T’s problems they had were against inferior talent.   Now this probably means McGovern isn’t an emerging force - but he’s likely not our biggest problem or one worth replacing after 3-4 decent to good games and one  bad one against elite talent.   If we were using that barometer a lot of guys on our team and the coaches would be replaced already.   

To make McGovern the scapegoat seems really iffy IMO.  I mean I get performance matters - but VJ would have already been fired if that was the case too. 

Hard to imagine that being on the coaches but it's not hard to imagine Von and a rookie with huge expectations chasing sacks, scheme discipline be damned. That probably speaks to a larger issue of this team really not respecting the coaching staff. Can't imagine the defensive meetings/locker room makes for a positive environment right now. 

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well we are hearing Roby might be 3rd CB if Brock is healthy.  I can’t say I’m optimistic that Brock will be a big upgrade but I get the reasoning after watching Roby’s miserable performance and outside of the KC game, his miseries all year.  

This decision though really surprises me - McGovern has played well (albeit against pretty mediocre competition) before Leonard Williams schooled him.  As a contrast then T’s problems they had were against inferior talent.   Now this probably means McGovern isn’t an emerging force - but he’s likely not our biggest problem or one worth replacing after 3-4 decent to good games and one  bad one against elite talent.   If we were using that barometer a lot of guys on our team and the coaches would be replaced already.   

To make McGovern the scapegoat seems really iffy IMO.  I mean I get performance matters - but VJ would have already been fired if that was the case too. 

It smacks of Joseph getting desperate 

There aren't many justifiable benchings because the depth is just not there for the most part. The Keenum/Kelly switch will happen but they can't throw in the towel yet. Maybe in November.  

Bench Davis and Marshall. AJ Johnson getting NFL reps is more important for this franchise than seeing how many times Davis can get roasted by athletic tight ends for 11 more games.

Archived