Game Day Thread: week 5 Broncos at Jets

thebestever6

10 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

One thing lomax is referring to on defence is the edge rushers losing containment - when I was watching the game they seemed to be going balls out for Darnold and forgetting everything else - and this was a problem against the Ravens as well (I only saw extended highlights of the KC game but it seemed to happen there too) - is this the players of is it Woods and Joseph not coaching properly?

The thing is, not all of the containment issues came from getting upfield too quick; just as many came with using poor leverage and letting a Tackle/TE dictate which way you move. If a play design is to go inside, then a Tackle/TE should (and will) give you room to the outside, hoping you take the bait. That's why it is so important for edge defenders to win the initial contact so you can then get your eyes in the backfield to see the play develop. If you lose that first contact, you have to spend all of your concentration on regaining the upper hand as opposed to stopping the play itself.

To be honest, I think our edge Defense this year hasn't been too much of an issue and our run Defense full stop hasn't. Don't let the stats deceive you from the Chiefs game; we were more than happy for Hunt to get the ball, and sans 2 runs we held him in check really well.

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well we are hearing Roby might be 3rd CB if Brock is healthy.  I can’t say I’m optimistic that Brock will be a big upgrade but I get the reasoning after watching Roby’s miserable performance and outside of the KC game, his miseries all year.  

This decision though really surprises me - McGovern has played well (albeit against pretty mediocre competition) before Leonard Williams schooled him.  As a contrast then T’s problems they had were against inferior talent.   Now this probably means McGovern isn’t an emerging force - but he’s likely not our biggest problem or one worth replacing after 3-4 decent to good games and one  bad one against elite talent.   If we were using that barometer a lot of guys on our team and the coaches would be replaced already.   

To make McGovern the scapegoat seems really iffy IMO.  I mean I get performance matters - but VJ would have already been fired if that was the case too. 

Re: Roby - the most worrying thing I have seen from him this year is not understanding basics of the position like playing with the technique that the team's coverage should dictate. WR's in this league are too athletic to not play with the correct technique and it's such fine margins against good QB's. We needed him to take a couple of steps forward this year and he's gone backwards if anything, losing himself a lot of $$$ in the process.

Re: McGovern - I hate the move. He got absolutely abused by Leonard Williams, but this team has far bigger issues than him right now. With Veldheer still out, we'd be replacing both parts of the right hand side of our OL which just spells disaster.

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Bench Davis and Marshall. AJ Johnson getting NFL reps is more important for this franchise than seeing how many times Davis can get roasted by athletic tight ends for 11 more games.

Personally, I think Davis has played pretty well this year. It's hard to tell if our coverage options are limited because we limit who he can cover in man coverage, but he's not really been exposed in that area yet. If there is one team who can expose an individual on Defense, it's the Rams and Gurley is excellent in the passing game.

There won't be any 4th Quarter notes, guys. I watched the all 22 up until the Pryor TD and I can't be bothered to watch film from a dead game. I am sure it's useful for Coaches to look at effort levels etc, but I am more interested in scheme and technique for commentary in this forum.

Happy to field any questions, or just agree to move on to the Rams game ...

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

There won't be any 4th Quarter notes, guys. I watched the all 22 up until the Pryor TD and I can't be bothered to watch film from a dead game. I am sure it's useful for Coaches to look at effort levels etc, but I am more interested in scheme and technique for commentary in this forum.

Just curious what your overall impression of Turners play was. Can we rest a little easier knowing he's at least a decent backup?

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

As Belichick would say, "We're on to LA."

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Just curious what your overall impression of Turners play was. Can we rest a little easier knowing he's at least a decent backup?

He did well I thought, especially in the run game. There were communication errors in pass pro, and with Williams giving McGovern fits, the Jets continued to run games to create more communication issues.

6 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Thoughts on Yiadom in the last couple games? Has he shown promise?

You know what, I think he's really similar to Kayvon Webster. 

Quite sticky in coverage but just doesn't play the ball enough. We play so much man coverage that if you aren't brave enough to play the ball, you're going to give up completions. 

He gave up the TD to Pryor where he bit on a Post-Corner route but that's going to happen as a young CB.

Archived