Game Day Thread: week 5 Broncos at Jets

thebestever6

1 hour ago, Royal_VT said:

Know what sucks? This forum is at its best when we are a bad team lol.

lol... that comes with the territory. It's why the Raiders forum is so active. Need an outlet to complain about the team and how to make it better. Hate seeing the state of our teams right now. More so because KC looks so dominate. 

Broncos need to blow it up and rebuild (which Elway seems unwilling to do). Get rid of some of the older players. Find a young QB to build around and rebuild through the draft.

The lady and I were driving back from our friends' house in FoCo after the game yesterday and I had The Fan on and, what I couldn't understand, is why people are so surprised. Did such a large portion of this fanbase really buy the training camp hype? 

I was bigger skeptic of signing Case than most but did so many people believe he is the type of QB who can win games with the supporting cast we have? 

Did people think that all of a sudden Vance and Joe Woods were going "get it," after what we saw last year?

Were we really not going to miss a HOF CB who can lock down the other team's X WR? Or think that Brock, two untested rookies and the criminally inconsistent Bradley Roby were going to fill his shoes?

Was it expected that, a year older, that Marshall and Davis weren't going to be the marginal starters they've both been at ILB the last few years? 

After leading the NCAA and NFL in penalties the last two years, Bolles was suddenly going to stop? 

No one should be surprised by what we've seen through five games. Are we as bad as we were yesterday? No, I don't think so. But we're a long way from even being a fringe playoff team. 

I predicted a .500ish season and I think I was being overly optimistic. 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

lol... that comes with the territory. It's why the Raiders forum is so active. Need an outlet to complain about the team and how to make it better. Hate seeing the state of our teams right now. More so because KC looks so dominate. 

Broncos need to blow it up and rebuild (which Elway seems unwilling to do). Get rid of some of the older players. Find a young QB to build around and rebuild through the draft.

It's getting blown up after this year, they don't really have a choice anymore. There's no free agent QB worth squat and if they don't unload veteran contracts, they'll have no cap room. What a great combo, a terrible team that also has no cap room. A team should never pay anyone but good QBs, star players and cheap role players. 

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It's getting blown up after this year, they don't really have a choice anymore. There's no free agent QB worth squat and if they don't unload veteran contracts, they'll have no cap room. What a great combo, a terrible team that also has no cap room. A team should never pay anyone but good QBs, star players and cheap role players. 

No team completely blows it up look at Seattle.  They trades a lot of decent picks for a 32 year old left tackle.  

I think every year if the veterans arent playing up to their contract then yes if the dead money is reasonable cut ties I'm all for that not really blowing it up.

If by blowing it up you mean not have an over priced band aid at qb I agree.

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I have no qualms with elways past offseason he got Vj enough talent to win with so there will be no excuses when he gets canned.

If he didn't do this I'd say the Broncos would be a much tougher sell to a new head coach. 

This team isn't nearly as talented as some fans think. The rookies look like the best players on the team at times. Not one free agent pickup has panned out, and now Von will be even more expensive going forward because of money wasted on guys who aren't playing or aren't even on the team anymore. Comically bad cap management. The draft is the only saving grace for Elway and we'll remember it a lot differently if Rosen becomes the player I expect him to be.

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

This team isn't nearly as talented as some fans think. The rookies look like the best players on the team at times. Not one free agent pickup has panned out, and now Von will be even more expensive going forward because of money wasted on guys who aren't playing or aren't even on the team anymore. Comically bad cap management. The draft is the only saving grace for Elway and we'll remember it a lot differently if Rosen becomes the player I expect him to be.

That is true to a large extent. 

However, I do want to say the approach to the 2018 draft - getting players who graded highly on character, were team captains, multi-year starters and from top-tier programs - was the right one. That approach needs to be employed going forward.

And though I've read it and heard it all over the place the last day or so, and despite the fact he has made mistakes, Elway is not going anywhere as long as he wants the job and Joe Ellis is President/CEO. 

Just now, champ11 said:

Bruh.......

Vance getting fired before the season over or no? What a mess

Has to lol. People keep saying the roster is bad. Look how bad john fox was in Chicago he leaves and they're very good. Vj is a much worse coach than fox as well.

I watched the Wolfe interview after the game and judging what he says you can tell he wants a change somewhere.  He says this team has a lot of deeper issues than effort and something has to change.

Everything about this season just feels like wasted time. And it feels like the only benefit to staying the course was fighting back against the notion that Elway is a coach-killer. Draft looks good, but passed on a QB in a GREAT QB draft. Wasted money that could have been rolled over into the future on role player vets who have done absolutely nothing. I think with Keenum they were just taking a total shot in the dark, just hoping he could save them from themselves since they seem to have neither the confidence to draft a QB nor the ability to develop them when they get there. Our best players who are actually still playing at an elite level are now a year older. What was accomplished outside of extending the core issues of this franchise a year into the future? And missing out on a potentially generational QB class in the process.

EDIT: In fairness, this draft class does look good but the opportunity cost can't be ignored. Imagine how bad this thing would look if they had another 2017 draft with projects who can't get on the field. 

6 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Bruh.......

Vance getting fired before the season over or no? What a mess

I was thinking about this earlier. I don't think they can fire him after the Rams game, since they play that Thursday. But if they lose to Arizona and drop to 2-5...how can he possibly keep his job? That's the game. 

Prior to the season I called us a team who could win anywhere between 7-9 times, and whilst our record may insinuate that's where we are, it's the total lack of light at the end of the tunnel that has us all worried.

I thought we'd have a chance to be a well executed Offense lacking a bit of explosion to score the kind of points a 10 win team does. But the fact is, our execution at vital points in the game is appalling and most of that comes back to the QB.

Vance is a dead man walking; we can all see that. I don't like to see men lose their jobs, but I would be shocked if a single (notable) member of this Coaching staff remains after on Black Monday following week 17.

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Everything about this season just feels like wasted time. And it feels like the only benefit to staying the course was fighting back against the notion that Elway is a coach-killer. Draft looks good, but passed on a QB in a GREAT QB draft. Wasted money that could have been rolled over into the future on role player vets who have done absolutely nothing. I think with Keenum they were just taking a total shot in the dark, just hoping he could save them from themselves since they seem to have neither the confidence to draft a QB nor the ability to develop them when they get there. Our best players who are actually still playing at an elite level are now a year older. What was accomplished outside of extending the core issues of this franchise a year into the future? And missing out on a potentially generational QB class in the process.

That is exactly where I come down. We did have a good draft a few months ago, we really did, but as a whole it was a wasted offseason. The wasted offseason began when Elway decided to retain Vance when it was plainly clear he is not NFL HC material and our problems extended beyond QB. 

As I said above, why are people surprised by the way the team has played in these first five games? 

My mind goes back to that VJ presser the day after Elway decided to keep him. Essentially what VJ gave us was that every single thing he did in 2017 was wrong, but that he was going to learn from it. Think about how insane that is. This is what they were trying to sell to the public. There were no bright spots for VJ to reflect on, nothing fans could actually hang their hat on. Just, it has to be better because it can't be any worse. 

Retroactively blown away by that. 

Archived