Imagine if the Patriots did what we all expected and even now still want, and drafted...

DoleINGout

This stupid. Our WR Corp looked fine until the Edelman suspension and Britt and Matthews got injured and cut. And in hindsight it was a mistake to cut Matthews and give up on him so early, as he would have been a big contributor here. 

Our oline is good with the addition of Trent Brown. At this point it’s looking like Wynn has a shot to be the best lineman of the draft class. We might have had the best oline in football if not for the injury. That would have opened up thebrunning game and made Michel a lot more dominant as he’s been getting acclimated to the league and alleviated some pressure on the WR’s.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:12 PM, DoleINGout said:

Now if they had Calvin Ridley instead of Isaiah Wynn they would be unstoppable.

And we would have never paid him when his contract came up while Wynn could be one of our premier lineman for the 10 years

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

And in hindsight it was a mistake to cut Matthews and give up on him so early, as he would have been a big contributor here. 

Think he's got the dropsies, hasn't he? I agree though, I was surprised when we cut him and definitely would have him back. He's decent.

6 hours ago, Asciimo said:

already been said but hey man this shouldn't exactly inspire confidence.

All of those appear(ed) like solid receivers but really not much better or at all than Patterson, Dorsett or Hogan. That's why I'm glad that the Pats acquired Gordon. He will really make a big difference.

Nah, this is 100% fact. Ridley falling in the draft is one of the dumbest things I've seen, and this isn't even hindsight bias. Ridley showcased great route running ability, great hands, ability to high point the ball, break tackles and make guys miss...Only reason his production didn't match this is Jaylen Hurts can't hit the broad side of a barn. 

I was livid when we passed on him. Wynn being on IR makes this even worse. I'm sure we'll be fine with Edelman/Gordon/Hogan but can you imagine Ridleys talent with Brady? Big miss, but as others have said...it happens.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:39 AM, lancerman said:

This stupid. Our WR Corp looked fine until the Edelman suspension and Britt and Matthews got injured and cut. And in hindsight it was a mistake to cut Matthews and give up on him so early, as he would have been a big contributor here. 

Our oline is good with the addition of Trent Brown. At this point it’s looking like Wynn has a shot to be the best lineman of the draft class. We might have had the best oline in football if not for the injury. That would have opened up thebrunning game and made Michel a lot more dominant as he’s been getting acclimated to the league and alleviated some pressure on the WR’s.

It did not look “fine”. It was mediocre at best and exposed as bottom 3 without edelman

7 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

It did not look “fine”. It was mediocre at best and exposed as bottom 3 without edelman

Yeah it did....

From the previous year we effectively traded Cooks and Amendola for a returning Edelman, Matthews and Britt. 

Our offense was “exposed” because ALL three of them weren’t on the team for the first 4 games. Any offense would look bad if you went into the season missing 3 of your top 5 receivers you planned on using in the off season. 

The equivalent would be is if we kept everyone and Edelman still got suspended, Cooks got injured, and Amendola got injured. We’d be in the same position. You’re using hindsight that clearly wasn’t the plan and in the same scenario with the players from last year would have yielded the same results.

Omg they looked bad because their number one receiver wasn’t there and two of the top receivers acquired in the offseason for injured. Who could have figured that?

Come on

38 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Yeah it did....

From the previous year we effectively traded Cooks and Amendola for a returning Edelman, Matthews and Britt. 

Our offense was “exposed” because ALL three of them weren’t on the team for the first 4 games. Any offense would look bad if you went into the season missing 3 of your top 5 receivers you planned on using in the off season. 

The equivalent would be is if we kept everyone and Edelman still got suspended, Cooks got injured, and Amendola got injured. We’d be in the same position. You’re using hindsight that clearly wasn’t the plan and in the same scenario with the players from last year would have yielded the same results.

Omg they looked bad because their number one receiver wasn’t there and two of the top receivers acquired in the offseason for injured. Who could have figured that?

Come on

It only looked “fine” because Tom Brady is the QB. Any other team going into a season with Julian Edelman and Chris hogan as their unquestioned number 1 and number 2 WR people would be screaming disaster. JE is a good not great WR and Chris hogan is a jag. The people behind them like Matthews Patterson and Dorset have literally never done crap at WR In their careers

It’s not hindsight. I said preseason this was One  of the worst WR corps in football. 

5 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

It only looked “fine” because Tom Brady is the QB. Any other team going into a season with Julian Edelman and Chris hogan as their unquestioned number 1 and number 2 WR people would be screaming disaster. JE is a good not great WR and Chris hogan is a jag. The people behind them like Matthews Patterson and Dorset have literally never done crap at WR In their careers

It’s not hindsight. I said preseason this was One  of the worst WR corps in football. 

That’s because guys got injured.... they would have been in the EXACT same position if it was the same receiver Corp as last year but it was Amendola and Cooks who got injured instead of Matthews and Britt. 

Any year since 2013 would have had the same issues if the same exact spots in the depth chart got injured along with Edelman suspension 

9 hours ago, SBLIII said:

All of those appear(ed) like solid receivers but really not much better or at all than Patterson, Dorsett or Hogan. That's why I'm glad that the Pats acquired Gordon. He will really make a big difference.

Gordon if healthy and motivated is scary because he’s a legitimate number one outside receiver that defenses have to game plan for. He makes the WR corps complete because now everyone else can slide into their natural role 

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

That’s because guys got injured.... they would have been in the EXACT same position if it was the same receiver Corp as last year but it was Amendola and Cooks who got injured instead of Matthews and Britt. 

Any year since 2013 would have had the same issues if the same exact spots in the depth chart got injured along with Edelman suspension 

Nah. When healthy it’s average at best. It’s only ok because Tom Brady is the QB and of course a generational talent in gronk at TE.

Lasy year the WR corps  wasn’t great either, better than this but not great. I don’t why you keep bringing that up.

3 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Nah. When healthy it’s average at best. It’s only ok because Tom Brady is the QB and of course a generational talent in gronk at TE.

Lasy year the WR corps  wasn’t great either, better than this but not great. I don’t why you keep bringing that up.

Because in the last 5 years it doesn't matter what WR corp they have, if they go into the season with Edelman suspended and arguably the next best WR and another top 4 WR on the depth chart injured and cut, they are going to be just as ineffective to start the season. In fact every team in the league would have serious problems at WR if their number 1 was suspended and 2 of their next 3 were injured and cut in the off season. 

You're not being objective and using hindsight after a bunch of misfortune. 

Archived