Saints CB Breaux out 4-6 weeks, 2 doctors fired for misdiagnosis

Dome

20 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Why would it not be serious?  What doctor is never going to make a mistake?

A perfect doctor doesn't exist, you're right. It's a good thing the Saints, nor I have ever demanded perfection.

Diagnosing a broken bone as a bruised bone is a pretty big deal. These are the doctors that worked with Jairus Byrd and Keenan Lewis, two players that never made recoveries from knee injuries.

19 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I'll leave this here. :)

The big names in Sports Medicine know which players will have good outcomes. It depends SO much on the person that you are getting. 

I really liked Takk McKinley coming up to the draft. He's a guy who I felt had the potential to be an elite pass rusher. But then news of his shoulder came to light and I started digging into the personal make-up of Takk McKinley. There is no question that he is a hard work on the field...but he is dumb as a rock and I had BIG questions about his ability to be a professional note just on the field...but off the field. He is he going to have the insight to know how to rehab his shoulder? He could barely follow instructions at the NFL combine! It was an enormous red flag for me...and as a result I soured on him quite a bit entering the draft.

Nice shot at a rookie of a rival team there.

While Takk is probably legaly retarded I don't see how that impacts his rehab. In my modest experience rehab is mostly just doing what someone else tells you to do and being carefull with not overstepping the boundaries. He should be able to do that just fine. There are plenty of dumb players that seem to rehab just fine, altough a correlation between intellect and rehabilitation ability would be an interesting study. As brought up later in the piece I think character, dicipline and commitment has a lot more to do with overcoming injury then intellect.

2 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Nice shot at a rookie of a rival team there.

While Takk is probably legaly retarded I don't see how that impacts his rehab. In my modest experience rehab is mostly just doing what someone else tells you to do and being carefull with not overstepping the boundaries. He should be able to do that just fine. There are plenty of dumb players that seem to rehab just fine, altough a correlation between intellect and rehabilitation ability would be an interesting study. As brought up later in the piece I think character, dicipline and commitment has a lot more to do with overcoming injury then intellect.

Believe it or not...a motivated, hardworking, and intelligent player has a better rehab outcome than the opposite. It's the difference between a guy like Thomas Davis and Percy Harvin. How in the world does Takk bomb the combine? He should have absolutely dominated. If you can't take the most basic instruction at a combine...how do you think he'd do a whole lot better in the rehab setting. I loved Takk as a prospect...but it's a huge red flag. 

18 hours ago, bananabucket said:

18 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

A perfect doctor doesn't exist, you're right. It's a good thing the Saints, nor I have ever demanded perfection.

Diagnosing a broken bone as a bruised bone is a pretty big deal. These are the doctors that worked with Jairus Byrd and Keenan Lewis, two players that never made recoveries from knee injuries.

No one is perfect - but again this is a lot worse because Breaux has fractured the same bone a year before.   The need to rule out a fracture gets a lot higher with a past fracture.  Then when his injury didn't respond as a contusion would major flags should have gone off.  Instead he was labeled as the problem?  Geez.   

So yes mistakes happen.  There were 2 points though where major warning signs were there and not recognized.   And instead the team looked to deal Breaux thinking he wasn't putting in full effort.   No doubt after checking with the docs.   

There are mistakes and then there are serious errors in judgment that signal a risk of repeat is much more likely.  This falls clearly in the latter category.  The Saints had no choice but make this call.  

On 8/16/2017 at 4:14 PM, bananabucket said:

This wasn't just any mistake, this was a mistake born from either an unacceptable level of incompetence, laziness, or both.

Archived