Would it be insane to take a first round QB next year?

Steelers22

58 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

To answer the question of how many subpar games Ben plays before he gets benched, the answer is 16 unless we make the playoffs then it is at least 17.

The real answer is retirement. That’s how many games. Ben ain’t getting benched. 

33 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The real answer is retirement. That’s how many games. Ben ain’t getting benched. 

so he plays and starts until injured or the season is over? fIf we only get 5 wins (sky falling, I know), then what happens if you are GM (everyone here)?

If a stud is there, not insane.  But they supposedly thought Rudolph was a 1st round talent.  It seems hard to believe they'd have Ben, a guy drafted the previous year that they considered 1st round talent, a crappy D, an aging WR and OL, and they take another QB?  

I wouldn't be opposed if it was an Andrew Luck type prospect, but I would be quite irritated if it's another guy that is like Rudolph (good in some areas, limited in others).  

On 2018-10-07 at 5:35 PM, jebrick said:

There are zero QBs I would want  out of the 2019 draft class.  2020 is different.

With all the issues we have on D , and if Ben retired or starts talking about it again, I still think the D needs help  as long as they actually draft good players. If they waste the pick (very likely) , then might as well draft another QB and WR9_9 At least it might have trade value .  I would be interested in letting Dobbs or Rudolph have a chance, I could see them doing well.

Reality of this is Ben starts until he is on IR or retires anyways and if he says he wants  to play 3 more years 

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

With all the issues we have on D , and if Ben retired or starts talking about it again, I still think the D needs help  as long as they actually draft good players. If they waste the pick (very likely) , then might as well draft another QB and WR9_9 At least it might have trade value .  I would be interested in letting Dobbs or Rudolph have a chance, I could see them doing well.

Reality of this is Ben starts until he is on IR or retires anyways and if he says he wants  to play 3 more years 

Yeah the Defense is so bad that no matter what id want us to go defense round 1. I feel like we could win enough with a marginal QB in our division but we cant win enough with a marginal defense imo.

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Yeah the Defense is so bad that no matter what id want us to go defense round 1. I feel like we could win enough with a marginal QB in our division but we cant win enough with a marginal defense imo.

with our recent drafting on D, unless we get new scouts/GM, I would prefer UFA for D and draft for offence as we have a better track record drafting good offence players.  

As for win enough, I am not sure what you mean. If it is near .500  then I get your thought, but I am thinking of winning SB.  That is a stretch of the imagination now as this team is inconsistent.  If we could get a legit CB2 in the draft, that would be great but if they draft another jarvis, dupree or burns, forget it.  

I know for Edge, Ray is the player I would try to sign .  CB though, maybe a UFA as well as a draft then ship out the players that aren't required anymore .  I would say 2 new quality CB's next year.  

And of course sign ET.

after burns had another day at the office, I really want a legit CB but can't trust the FO to get the pick right if they draft one.   If players like burns dupree  jarvis and hood are what they draft in RD1, then no more risking drafting for D in RD1. Thats what UFA is for, when you know you can't draft in certain parts of the team.   

Ben returns for another year I would say, and roll with Dobbs and Rudolph as expected. Too many problems right now on D and then we will also need another RB back up after bell is gone for good.

9 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

after burns had another day at the office, I really want a legit CB but can't trust the FO to get the pick right if they draft one.   If players like burns dupree  jarvis and hood are what they draft in RD1, then no more risking drafting for D in RD1. Thats what UFA is for, when you know you can't draft in certain parts of the team.   

Ben returns for another year I would say, and roll with Dobbs and Rudolph as expected. Too many problems right now on D and then we will also need another RB back up after bell is gone for good.

RB i feel we can get in Rounds 3-5 somewhere. CB, LB gotta be at the top of the list and honestly i wouldnt be opposed to seeing them mortgage some picks to move up and acquire Devin White, the ILB at LSU.

I'll really miss Ben. Yes, he can be frustrating, but man, he's been a gamer for us for a long time.

I think Rudolph will surpass Dobbs next offseason. And that's a good thing.

The next draft class's strength seems to be at DL and CB (from the analysts I've read).

The QBs projected to go in 2020 seems like a better class, again, from what I've seen projected.

I'd like to see us over invest in areas of real concern (CB and ILB) next year, possibly two at each position.

I'm so sick of the corner situation. We need to properly attack that in the draft. Never loved the Burns pick.

He's a reach that never paid off. And I think Haden, while good, will start to decline quickly.

13 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I meant to be a playoff team. We are definitely not consistently of SB caliber atm

consistently inconsistent, learn to accept that is all I can say

4 hours ago, mwalker said:

I'd like to see us over invest in areas of real concern (CB and ILB) next year, possibly two at each position.

I'm so sick of the corner situation. We need to properly attack that in the draft. Never loved the Burns pick.

He's a reach that never paid off. And I think Haden, while good, will start to decline quickly.

Haden should be good for a few years. Burns, they need to be like the giants with flowers, and just move on. This burns situation is almost like the OL was years back, it's starting to really be a major concern and holding the team back. Maybe never draft a player from miami for a few years as well, just forget it.

Agree we need to properly attack in the draft, but history has shown there is an elephant in the draft room on the D side, so I would suggest UFA until that is all sorted out. I would like 2 CB's, let burns and coty go.  Let Fort and Thomas have a chance at ILB to see how they are, but we know that isn't happening either. 

Archived