Favourite CFB conference

lark25

Some conferences seem to produce far more players at certain positions than others.  I personally like the big 10 conference which produces a lot of top tier linemen, linebackers but comparatively fewer receivers, qbs etc.

Which conference(s) do most posters follow, and what type of pros does it typically produce?

I follow the Big Ten more, because of geographic interests, and personal rooting interests, but I think even any real, unbiased (or as close as we can get), assessment of their talent puts them ahead of the SEC. 

There's talent spread all over the place now, though... 

I see a metric F-ton of ACC games. I've watched a ton of Pittsburgh, Louisville, Miami, FSU, Clemson and North Carolina football games in the last 3-4 years. It's most certainly not the best conference in CFB, but it's got as much draftable talent as any conference in America. Pitt and UNC have fallen off a cliff, but those two programs were pumping out some very good college players in the last 2-3 years. And now it looks like Louisville is becoming a dumpster fire as well. There are some bad teams in the ACC this year. Even Miami is overrated as a football team. They have good individual NFL draft prospects, but their offense is putrid right now.

Don't have a particular conference I like the best. I just have a team in each conference I root for. Though Penn State is my university and team.

Big Ten: Penn State
Pac-12: Oregon
ACC: Virginia
SEC: Arkansas
Big XII: Used to be Oklahoma, but I've soured on them in recent years. Feeling one of TCU, WVU, or Oklahoma State at this point in time. 

I think you could argue B1G is up there.  Better rivalries, more great players that aren’t as touted due to geography.  Read an article that you can often add a star to many Midwest players recruiting as the scouting is so heavily concentrated in the southeast.  SEC has a lot of weak teams too.

Whilst it’s hard to argue against Alabama i think B1G has a more even talent spread with a lot of good to great teams: tOSU, PSU, WIS, IOA, MICH even MSU are very good.

Also look at the top EDGE, RBs and OLinemen in the game and B1G would be leading.  Just forget about WRs though. 

I end up following the big "TV" conferences SEC, Big Ten, PAC more in terms of keeping up with the season and those storylines.  Just because they're easy, and on TV mostly.  But while i enjoy CFB, i tend to watch it more as a vehicle to better understanding and armchair scouting various potential NFL prospects...so which games i watch year to year tend to sway predominantly by where prospects of interest for the upcoming draft happen to be on any given Saturday.

Every conference does kinda have its own unique "flavour" and at times, i do feel like i have to fight a bit of unfair preconception about players going in blind based on expectations about their conference (an SEC guy is gonna be an athletic specimen, a Big 10 guy is gonna be a hardworker/technician/whatever, a Big12/PAC guy is gonna be a real "space player", etc.)...but actually watching them usually sorts that out pretty quick.

Archived