MTG

Centurion

My local store is pretty competitive and modern heavy so I don't frequent there. If I had unlimited time I'd surely get more into it. 

I used to have a large group of friends that all played and we would play huge commander games that were probably the most fun I've had playing Magic. Alas those times are gone so I'm generally stuck with online and a few 1v1 kitchen table games. 

Yeah, Modern is stupid expensive, too. I play Goblins mainly to screw with the modern players here. I've had it happen twice now against people who don't know me matched up again me, where I've dropped a T1 Goblin Guide, and they've conceded thinking I'm playing Burn, then game 2 I drop another Goblin T1 and they rage quit because I'm not playing burn. Not what I'd call a healthy mindset to play with.

Commander is the best, though.

When you do play, what deck do you play?

At the rare times I'll go to a Friday Night Magic I'll bring Black White Spirits or a Blue Black Control. I tend to favor grindier games as I don't aggro well. 

When I play with my friend we have a large selection of 15 or so decks. He'll go and buy a pre constructed deck and we'll fix it up over time so we've got a bunch of theme decks like dragons, knights, elves, etc. 

I played hard and fast with the Mirrodin set in high school.  I purchased some from the sets behind it- Onslaught- and immediately after it- the Kamigawa block.  Typically, I played with friends during lunch, free periods or game club after school.  When I went to college, I lost track of all of those guys and fell away.  I have a huge box of cards, because my grandparents were able to get me to the Navy Exchange during the Mirrodin set where they had booster boxes that only cost $40, and there was a used video game store/repair shop near me that sold older packs as well.  

I remember the artifact craziness- being able to potentially get a 4/4 creature out on turn one, and having ridiculously overpowered Broodstars- to Arcbound Ravager being the deck everyone had to have.  I also played around with some different decks- one I had had tons of counters and return to hand cards.  I would get Isochorn Scepter out and imprint those onto them.  I would have Ensnaring Bridge and play to empty my hand so no one could attack, and I had direct damage creatures so it would only be a matter of time.  I had a crazy black control deck that would give me crazy amounts of life.  

I would love to get back into it, but I've heard there are TONS of changes and the only people who I would play with would be at local card shops since I do not know anyone who is playing currently.  

I play pretty casually from time to time. I mainly play EDH now, but I've had some fun with some casual decks doing weird things. Now that the main person I plaid with got married and mainly disappeared and then had a kid and completely disappeared, who knows when I'll play again.

I haven't started back up, used to play with my big bro in the late 90s but all our cards were stolen. So were our football, basketball and baseball cards. After that I just gave up collecting.  But some of my friends play that and DND at the shop uptown, so I will get an urge to draw and will do someone's DND character portrait for them. Went to take one up to them and saw some of the newer cards a few months back. The art on them is absolutely phenomenal. Game seems to have changed a lot from what I saw too.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my Goblin deck. 😀

Lands (22)

Cavern of Souls x4
As Cavern of Souls enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.

Tap: Add one mana of any color. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type, and that spell can't be countered.

Mountain x18

Creatures (32)

Goblin Guide : 1* | 2/2 : x4

Whenever Goblin Guide attacks, defending player reveals the top card of their library. If it's a land card, that player puts it into their hand.

Foundry Street Denizen : 1* | 1/1 : x4

Whenever another red creature enters the battlefield under your control, Foundry Street Denizen gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

Frenzied Goblin : 1* | 1/1 : x4

Whenever Frenzied Goblin attacks, you may pay Red. If you do, target creature can't block this turn.

Goblin Bushwhacker : 1* | 1/1 : x4

Kicker Red (You may pay an additional Red as you cast this spell.)
When Goblin Bushwhacker enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+0 and gain haste until end of turn.

Legion Loyalist : 1* | 1/1 : x4

Haste

Battalion --- Whenever Legion Loyalist and at least two other creatures attack, creatures you control get First Strike and Trample until end of turn and can't be blocked by token creatures this turn.

Goblin Wardriver : 2* | 2/2 : x4

Battle cry (Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.)

Goblin Chieftain : 3* | 2/2 : x3

Haste

Other Goblin creatures you control get +1/+1 and have haste.

Krenko, Mob Boss : 4* | 3/3 : x3

Tap: Create X 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens, where X is the number of Goblins you control.

Voracious Dragon : 5* | 4/4 x2

Flying

Devour 1 (As this comes into play, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature comes into play with that many +1/+1 counters on it.) When Voracious Dragon comes into play, it deals damage to target creature or player equal to twice the number of Goblins it devoured.

Sorceries (4)

Goblin Grenade : 1* : x4

As an additional cost to cast Goblin Grenade, sacrifice a Goblin. Goblin Grenade deals 5 damage to target creature or player.

Enchantments (2)

Shared Animosity : 3* : x3

Whenever a creature you control attacks, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each other attacking creature that shares a creature type with it.

I don't have Cavern of Souls though. It's a $90 card. 😂

7 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I once pretended to be a world famous MTG champion at some sort of tournament or something just for ****s 

They smelled a rat pretty quick based on my style and BMI and ability to talk to female homo sapiens 

Carry on folks

It's too complicated for some people. It's ok. 

I got into it in 5th grade and played for a few years.  But then it became uncool, and I stopped playing.  I had stacks and stacks of cards years ago.  

I always had black in my decks and you could guarantee that I would have a couple dragons.  I liked dragons.  

Archived